Can you suggest a 55 inch 4K TV? A long dream...

saketb

Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas,

Its been a very long journey for my 40 inch Samsung, (still working perfectly) almost a decade which needs an upgrade and I'm very excited to have one with all the latest frills... smart, 4k, hdr, android, and so many. I've gone through, many threads which are similar in nature and read lots about VU, TCL and other budget brands of TV's, but was not happy with the reviews posted here as well as other places. And after been using Samsung from a decade I personally do not want to settle for something lower end.

After reading many of the reviews, I've short listed a few below which I feel is good in terms of quality provided, I may be wrong. I would request you all to give your valuable opinion on my selection so that I can narrow it down and finally select the dream TV for me and my family. Additionally any info on best price and place in Bangalore to buy the same. My budget is 1-1.25 lakhs maximum. Buying time is with a month. Any information provided is highly appreciated.

Sony KD-55X9000E - MRP 155000
Sony KD-55X8200E - MRP 125000
Samsung UA55MU6470ULXL - MRP 150000

Last edited:
There is a lovely lg for sale in the classifieds. Have a look mate.

If you are ok with a 3 day old used TV, then there is a Sony KD-65X9000E thats available. Person selling it as he bought an LG Oled.

+1 for Sony KD-55X9000E. Since it is an FALD Tv, It should provide excellent colour uniformity and black level than others. I've seen lot of +ve reviews across the web and still couldn't find any one pointing some big show stopper issue on this. I think it falls under middle of premium segment of Sony's 2017 4k HDR TV lineup. At this price, it is one of the best vfm tv.
Fyi, it wont get DV update next year, but his next higher level series 930E/940E will get.

If you are ok with a 3 day old used TV, then there is a Sony KD-65X9000E thats available. Person selling it as he bought an LG Oled.

Person selling is now in 2 minds as he is unsure of what price to expect for selling 3 day old tv. It is very unfortunate that he is in this situation due to purchase made in haste. Let him decide what is his expectation then will post about the same. Sorry for inconvenience

There is a lovely lg for sale in the classifieds. Have a look mate.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not looking for a second hand set.

65 inches sounds great but again, I'm looking for a new piece and this may not fit in my budget. Thanks.

+1 for Sony KD-55X9000E. Since it is an FALD Tv, It should provide excellent colour uniformity and black level than others. I've seen lot of +ve reviews across the web and still couldn't find any one pointing some big show stopper issue on this. I think it falls under middle of premium segment of Sony's 2017 4k HDR TV lineup. At this price, it is one of the best vfm tv.
Fyi, it wont get DV update next year, but his next higher level series 930E/940E will get.

Yes, Sony does seems to be a good one and I'm leaning towards it. DV may only come to the more high-end models but now getting that update again I've to stretch my already stretched budget. Thanks for the reply.

Update...

I visited a few showrooms today and did some visual tests myself with my own media on Sony's and Samsung's. Well, I must say that I was truly amazed and thrilled to see the picture quality in Samsung. It was way much better and the colours were very good compared to Sony. I was a bit disappointed to see the Sony 559000e, as it was slow in operation, opening apps, movies, etc when compared to Samsung. The colours were a bit too much blown up and washed off as I remember. After coming back and forth from Sony to Samsung my eyes went on the bigger brother of Samsung 6470... the Samsung 55MU7000 Series 7 with an MRP of 205000/-.

I told the salesman that the MU7000 was way out of my budget, and he told me to have a look at it and explained all the details about the TV and I played the same content on this too. Well, it blew me away... the colours, the depth, the saturation, hdr, etc all were top notch. I was 100% sure that if I'm buying a TV then this would be the one, only concern was the moolah...

Well, after a great smile on my face I hesitantly asked the salesman for the price and he quoted his best price which was 135000/- along with Samsung 3.1 sound bar with sub woofer worth 25k and I was like What, are you serious???

Should I go for this TV? What do you all suggest?

Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas,

Its been a very long journey for my 40 inch Samsung, (still working perfectly) almost a decade which needs an upgrade and I'm very excited to have one with all the latest frills... smart, 4k, hdr, android, and so many. I've gone through, many threads which are similar in nature and read lots about VU, TCL and other budget brands of TV's, but was not happy with the reviews posted here as well as other places. And after been using Samsung from a decade I personally do not want to settle for something lower end.

After reading many of the reviews, I've short listed a few below which I feel is good in terms of quality provided, I may be wrong. I would request you all to give your valuable opinion on my selection so that I can narrow it down and finally select the dream TV for me and my family. Additionally any info on best price and place in Bangalore to buy the same. My budget is 1-1.25 lakhs maximum. Buying time is with a month. Any information provided is highly appreciated.

Sony KD-55X9000E - MRP 155000
Sony KD-55X8200E - MRP 125000
Samsung UA55MU6470ULXL - MRP 150000
please check LG oled 55 inch prices before your purchase
i think its around 1.5l now c series[/QUOTE]

Congrats on your decision to purchase! I can understand how excited you must be (I kind of had a similar experience). Now, I can see your budget is slowly creeping up to around 1.3-1.4 lakh. In that case, I cannot help but think that with a little more, you could possibly get the best 55 inch TV out there in 2017 - that is an LG Oled. It changes the entire TV viewing experience and there is little argument that any other TV can match its picture quality or even come close to it.

The only problem earlier was high price, due to new technology. But currently this tv is available at a range of 1.5 L, which is slightly higher than your budget. So I would say read some discussion on LG OLED prices on this forum if you havent already, and then go and check out some prices in Bangalore.

One more point to add, LG OLED has Dolby vision which I believe is important for HDR (makes a huge difference in picture quality). So even if you go for any other normal LED, make sure to check if they support Dolby vision, because many of them just mention HDR but there could be major differences in the HDR standard they are following.

Congrats on your decision to purchase! I can understand how excited you must be (I kind of had a similar experience). Now, I can see your budget is slowly creeping up to around 1.3-1.4 lakh. In that case, I cannot help but think that with a little more, you could possibly get the best 55 inch TV out there in 2017 - that is an LG Oled. It changes the entire TV viewing experience and there is little argument that any other TV can match its picture quality or even come close to it.

The only problem earlier was high price, due to new technology. But currently this tv is available at a range of 1.5 L, which is slightly higher than your budget. So I would say read some discussion on LG OLED prices on this forum if you havent already, and then go and check out some prices in Bangalore.

One more point to add, LG OLED has Dolby vision which I believe is important for HDR (makes a huge difference in picture quality). So even if you go for any other normal LED, make sure to check if they support Dolby vision, because many of them just mention HDR but there could be major differences in the HDR standard they are following.

Budget is increasing day by day, but one has to fix a limit somewhere as there are limitations. I had initially set a max budget to 1.25l as there would be other expenses like floor standers (Polk RTiA7), stands for existing RTiA3's, an entertainment unit to house all the A/V equipment's. Well, it never ends.... So I've finally given a thought to not cross 1.25l and stick to the best 4K in this price point.

Dolby Vision is certainly the future but again the cost of getting that will be a major expense which I am not comfortable to do so now. I did see the PQ of the LG Oled and was amazed but never dared to enquire the price.

Now my dilemma is hanging on Samsung 55MU7000 or the Sony KD-55X9000E and I need to decide and take the plunge. I haven't tried Panasonic or LG in similar price points.

Sony X9000 is highly rated for Picture Quality. I'm considering stretching my budget and getting the 49 inch Model myself. But I'm not in any hurry. CES is just round the corner want see happening in 2018 before taking the plunge.

You'll need make sure you get the settings right on the Sony - I doubt if the showroom you visited had it setup right from the sound of it. Here are some Videos which you may find useful to look at:

Last edited:
Next time you visit the showroom, Get the remote from sales guy and play with the settings on Sony/Samsung/LG etc having similar TV size. And decide on what please your eyes. Because you and your family going to be the end users.
Also the after sales service will play crucial thing. Coz most of the current TVs selling today won't last 5 years despite their humongous price tag :)

If you are close to 1.5 lakhs get the LG oleds. I don't think the LED TVs even compete with them (other than maybe for brightness in HDR content)

Sony X9000 is highly rated for Picture Quality. I'm considering stretching my budget and getting the 49 inch Model myself. But I'm not in any hurry. CES is just round the corner want see happening in 2018 before taking the plunge.

You'll need make sure you get the settings right on the Sony - I doubt if the showroom you visited had it setup right from the sound of it. Here are some Videos which you may find useful to look at:

Yes, now I'm convinced that the Sony 55X900E is indeed very good compared to the Samsung MU7000. Certainly the picture settings were wrongly set at the retailers place and the salesman too was forcing rather pleading me to buy the Samsung. I've got a final price for the Sony 55X900E at 138000/- from croma incl kindle white + 1TB HDD as freebies. Still to lookout at other places.

Thanks for the videos you shared, it clearly clarifies the doubts about this TV. I too searched in youtube and found quite interesting videos on this TV.

Next time you visit the showroom, Get the remote from sales guy and play with the settings on Sony/Samsung/LG etc having similar TV size. And decide on what please your eyes. Because you and your family going to be the end users.
Also the after sales service will play crucial thing. Coz most of the current TVs selling today won't last 5 years despite their humongous price tag :)

Surely, will do that and will check all the similar TV's in the range to see the difference. Thanks. These price tags are killers indeed and above all the short life span as you said. I'm very proud of my decade old 40" but new beats old... and needs an upgrade.

If you are close to 1.5 lakhs get the LG oleds. I don't think the LED TVs even compete with them (other than maybe for brightness in HDR content)

Thanks for the suggestion, oleds are surely great and the best, but again the budget is killing me. And I'm trying very very hard to squeeze a little more to take on the Sony 9000 series.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back