Car Audio for Hyundai Xcent

rahuljonline

I recently bought the base model of Hyundai Xcent (The sedan version of grand i10).
I want to have a decent music setup for about Rs. 25000. I'm based in Calcutta, and I listen to Classic Rock, heavy metal, Rap, EDM.

I'm very new to car audio and very confused.
Most of my music will be played through the Phone or Pen drive. So, I'm not looking for any other inputs like DVD/ CD etc.
After some basic research, I've figured out I need either of the following setups:

Set-up1:
a. HUD
b. 4 Co-axials

Set-up2:
1. HUD
2. 4 channel Amp
3. 2 Front components
4. 2 rear co-axials

I want to give the subs a miss, as of now, because of budget, as well as boot space.
My question is, if I buy a separate amp, then is it ok to buy a relatively cheaper HUD with pre-amp output?

Please suggest some options, brands, etc. Hifivision has always helped me out, and I'm counting on you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Guys, any insights?

i would recommend you to go with second option and 2 channel amp will suffix for that.
Or if you are going to add a sub woofer anytime soon, you can go for a 4 channel amp now.

Whatever HUm you buy the it can give only a steady V between 15v to 25V.

So i would recommend you to get a good HU with 2 or higher number of preouts.
Because, a cheaper HU wont have that sound clarity that you are looking for.

So basic split up like

HU : ~10K
Front Components : 5-7K
Rear coaxials : 3K
2channel amp : 5K
Wiring and intallation charges : 4K

It is just a overview only, costs can be cheaper or higher depending on the items you are choosing. :D

i would recommend you to go with second option and 2 channel amp will suffix for that.
Or if you are going to add a sub woofer anytime soon, you can go for a 4 channel amp now.

Whatever HUm you buy the it can give only a steady V between 15v to 25V.

So i would recommend you to get a good HU with 2 or higher number of preouts.
Because, a cheaper HU wont have that sound clarity that you are looking for.

So basic split up like

HU : ~10K
Front Components : 5-7K
Rear coaxials : 3K
2channel amp : 5K
Wiring and intallation charges : 4K

It is just a overview only, costs can be cheaper or higher depending on the items you are choosing. :D

Thanks so much.
I'm only confused about the Head Unit now. I looked around and found Blaupunkt VC 652 components, 4-channel amp GT 470, and co-axials for rear.
The estimation for wirings and installation was less than 2k. So overal comes to about 18ks without Head Unit. So I need to buy that.

These are the prices from Snapdeal. The local shop was giving 15% off overall from the total. SD is coming much cheaper. I'll have to bargain from some local shops.
Blaupunkt VC 652 Components -Rs. 4501
Blaupunkt GTA 470 SF 4-channel Amp -Rs. 6057
Blaupunkt VX 692 Co-Axials -Rs. 4418
Sony WXGT99BT Head Unit -Rs. 7795

Total Rs. 22971. Plus they are claiming to give a instant cash back of 10%.

i think there are better HUs than Sony (from my experience too) for 8K ..

Please..please check those like
Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, JVC etc.

Also check for other components too.. i haven't heard Blaupunkt ..so dont know how they sound. :)

Just ordered first part of my Car Audio, from Snapdeal (Serious good pricing here). Polk Audio DB6501 Component Speakers for Front, and Rockford Fosgate Prime R250-4 Channel Amp. Now for the head unit, and rear speakers.

Im thinking of Polk Audio DB651 Co-Axials for Rear. And a decent Pioneer HU with 2-preouts. Do you think this is the right choice?
Also, do I hook up the amp with both front and rear, or front only?

As the amp is 4 channel connect all 4 channels to the amp. Also xcwnts rear speaker bracket is 6.5 inch? My i20 has 6.5 size for fronts and rear door Bracket is only made for 5.25 inchers. Please verify before buying the speakers. If it's only 5.25, buy these as you already have polks of the same series.http://m.snapdeal.com/product/polk-audio-db521-525-coaxial/638691

Thanks for the suggestion. That's precisely why I ordered the components and amp only, because I want properly fitted rears and HU, and I'm not aware of the actual sizes.
Also, would it be advisable to have the components in rear, and co-axials as front, because I don't drive, and am more often in the back seat.

Does excent have a provision for tweeters on the door? To say, if you are a back seat traveller, as you said add components in the back. But you will have to put tweeters drilling the door. Like I mentioned earlier if db 651 is oversized for the rear door( I suspect it won't as most hyundai cars have the same config. 6.5 or 5.25 for front doors and 5.25 for rears where your 651 is 6.5.

Does excent have a provision for tweeters on the door? To say, if you are a back seat traveller, as you said add components in the back. But you will have to put tweeters drilling the door. Like I mentioned earlier if db 651 is oversized for the rear door( I suspect it won't as most hyundai cars have the same config. 6.5 or 5.25 for front doors and 5.25 for rears where your 651 is 6.5.

I've just found out that Xcent has both front and back as 6.5". But that being said. I've decided to leave the rear doors alone, have the comps in the front, and have 6x9 co-axials Polk DB691 in the parcel tray. These will give me that extra bass, since I dont have subs.
What do you think?

I've just found out that Xcent has both front and back as 6.5". But that being said. I've decided to leave the rear doors alone, have the comps in the front, and have 6x9 co-axials Polk DB691 in the parcel tray. These will give me that extra bass, since I dont have subs.
What do you think?

Good idea to have coax in the back. Components at the back tend to screw up the time alignment. The need for more bass depends on the kind of music you listen to. In accent, you should not have much issue unless you are a bass junkie...

That's a good choice as you may be able to get good treble too as speakers being near to the ear level. But at the same time I personally had felt like speakers on doors produces a wider stereo image as they are physically widely placed. But it may not be a big issue if you are sitting in the middle. Do a damping work for doors as you have an amp installed(expect more powerful vibrations set to the door panels now). It improves the sound in a very good way.

rahuljonline,

Having a Coax in back parcel tray is good, but if Huge bass is not a big concern, you can try to have a Component in the Rear Door. One of my friend is using components(Polk) in both front and back door and its good.

But again as Alby said, It makes a big difference in sound in rear parcel tray and Doors.

As soulforged said, there are chances that it get screwed also if we place the tweeter in the wrong place :).

If the installer is good, you can try both and check it out.

Rahul,

More or less me & my friends use same kind of speakers :).

I use a Polk DB6501 in the front door and PolkDB651 in the rear in my car, i feel all is well :eek:hyeah: sometimes i feel that Rear is missing some treble( If somebody volunteer to drive ). Since i dont sit in back and am the one who drive, so it didnt bother me :lol:

My friend use PolkDB6501 in both front and rear and he feels the bass is not so good. I feel the sharpness is good but the 8inch woofers are unable to handle it properly - A lot of distortion.

Another friend uses JBL in the front doors and use Polk Ovals in the rear tray and he says its not so punchy like your (my car). I would say if your installer is so good and friendly you can try multiple things :).

For instance my Installer he allowed me to choose whatever i want in subwoofers,

I installed and checked Polk > Pioneer > JBL > RF > SONY > Kicker and finally settled down in Polk Subwoofer.

Mostly if you have a good installer, he will guide you :D

Guys, thanks for all your suggestions. I have ordered all the items from snapdeal, and got good discounts from them. They have also started installation service, and I'm hoping to get it done through them. So, here's my list:
1. HU - Sony-WX-GT99BT - Rs. 7700
2. Fronts - Polk Audio DB6501 Components -Rs. 7000
3. Rear - Polk Audio DB691 6x9 Coaxials -Rs. 4900
4. Amp - Rockford Fosgate R250- 4 Channel - Rs. 6300

A total of 26ks. How much should cost in installation?
Also, I bought a sony HU, because it has 3 pre-outs, and Bluetooth, and most features I was looking for, at a good rate. Since I will be using an amp, it shouldn't cause much problems in the Sound quality.

Rahul,

More or less me & my friends use same kind of speakers :).

I use a Polk DB6501 in the front door and PolkDB651 in the rear in my car, i feel all is well :eek:hyeah: sometimes i feel that Rear is missing some treble( If somebody volunteer to drive ). Since i dont sit in back and am the one who drive, so it didnt bother me :lol:

My friend use PolkDB6501 in both front and rear and he feels the bass is not so good. I feel the sharpness is good but the 8inch woofers are unable to handle it properly - A lot of distortion.

Another friend uses JBL in the front doors and use Polk Ovals in the rear tray and he says its not so punchy like your (my car). I would say if your installer is so good and friendly you can try multiple things :).

For instance my Installer he allowed me to choose whatever i want in subwoofers,

I installed and checked Polk > Pioneer > JBL > RF > SONY > Kicker and finally settled down in Polk Subwoofer.

Mostly if you have a good installer, he will guide you :D

I've already over-spent, and will be skipping the sub, that's y I went with ovals. My HU has 3-Pre-outs, so may be it the future, Ill add a sub, if needed. :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back