car component speakers for home use DIY

sentinel

Can car component speakers be used in making a DIY speaker for home.

These are the things which are easily available locally and have crossover supplied with them. Can a suitable enclosure designed for these ?

These components sound quite well in the car but what about home use.

No that is a bad idea..the cones of these are made for durability in car env, so they use material that is not good for home audio drivers . you will get kevlar looking synthetic ones too ..
also they focus on max SPL than quality audio reproduction

I auditioned some budget floorstanding speakers, yamaha mission34 etc. of value less than 20K. I got out of the shop, sat in car and my component speakers in my car sounded better. I had taken the "Eagles Hotel california" audio CD. I have only a pair of 5 1/4 components in my car in front .

What is the basic difference between the drivers used in car and home. Has anybody tried this.

I was curious about whether i can make a floorstander out of a 6 1/2" component speakers available.

Last edited:
my component speakers in my car sounded better.

What is the basic difference between the drivers used in car and home. Has anybody tried this.

I was curious about whether i can make a floorstander out of a 6 1/2" component speakers available.

To add to what Kaushik said
1) Car speakers are designed more for ruggedness than sonic abilities. They need to last in extreme temperatures rather than sound good. While you may like the sound initially, they will sound trash once you listen longer.
2) In car the ambient noise is too high, the environment is not good for sonics so there is no point i manufacturers designing good drivers for car environment.
3)You listen to your speakers quite close in car. There is a lot of room gain available. Due to the combination of these two, drivers can get away with very low xmax. In a home environment the drivers will be too stressed coz they need more xmax.
4) The car drivers have high Qts and high Vas making these drivers useless for sealed /ported alignments for home use.

Hope this helps,
Goldy

ok, how about the other way round? can I use home drivers in a car. I am in bangalore, so most of the time no extreme temperature. car drivers usually suck in terms of sound quality. I can get cheap/good full range drivers, (probably a pair of 4-4.5 inch) will these be good in a car?

sentinel,

1st question comes what wheather the dealer used matched amp the FS speakers,did he use proper playback media etc ,last one is are u the target listener for yam-towers ? some FS are meant to support movie setup ..

i went and visited dealer here a while ago and auditioned many warf BS and FS speaker.. he had our respected marantz cd changer
as playback system ..but they never sounded good to me.
Finally a DIY set i use as my constant companion

Car speakers may sound good in car ..like smooth bass,guitars but as you listen to good stereo setups of fellow audiophile there are some of the things you will observe like much better soundstage,intrument seperation, the timbre of the instruments played .If there is matched tube pre you will get amazing vocals and midrange..

so attempting car speakers for DIY 'may be possible' if
>You have changed the cone and spider,motor with better types
>You are sure the magnet and basket assembly will allow
expected characteristics
This route is like inventing a new audio driver, so we general people go by smarter way and use this thread to import drivers and go ahead with DIY
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/16106-letz-check-diy-pair-speakers-6k.html
doors666,
such mix match will be waste due to factors like XMAX,lack of space inside car,non linear obstacles inside car,car body is not rid medium to fix drivers etc ..u can do one thing build better crossovers and AMP for car speakers,also use highgrade cables . This needs a lott of research and patience.

I am not the target audience for yamaha for floorstanders. Media was audio cd with a yamaha AVR. I agree that it was not a audition room. Speakers were place very closed to walls. It was a small room. I had no other choice. Sonodyne sounded quite well but 26K out of range.
But the less than 20K floorstander thing is not satisfying my needs also not high on budget and thus trying different ways because drivers are not available here. But not considering modifying drivers .Specially i am trying for TL or pmc advance TL type thing.

Your thread for budget speaker drivers seems good.

For 20k, buy a bookshelf. 20k floorstanders willl sound like trash anyway. Bigger is not necessarily bigger.
that may be correct here ..as options are less.
Diy route is also possible with
1. Fullrange pair under 10K ,design details are there in the site and well documented
Creative Sound - Product Details

A6PS.jpg

2.MTM pair under 10K
Parts Express MTM "components " kit in $119.99 =5200Rs
for all the drivers for pair of speakers

TriTrix MTM TL Components Kit

pic:
DBMTMFin2.JPG

There is no reason why you cannot use car audio component drivers in home audio , as long as you design the cabinet around them properly . Higher end car audio drivers such as the focal be utopia series can deliver exceptional performance . It , however does not make sense to use lower end components . Hertz audio has a high end reference set that uses a 3 way design with a ribbon midrange , I have always wanted to make a set of bookshelves around them (read: next project) .I am currently making a set of subs using four Hertz 12 inch car subs (for music) in an isobaric configuration , after some initial testing , to my ears the subs deliver exceptionally well with music.
Essentially you should give it a shot , a good set of components should cost you under 20k , heck add in another 5 you have a sub driver as well! besides if you dont try it , you will never know. As far as cheap floor standers go , I can understand why they sound like heck , they are made to a budget and they have to be light enough to ship.DIY allows you to over engineer and try and eke out the best possible performance that your components can deliver.Manufacturers have to make their products at the lowest cost , lowest weight possible . Everyone wants a profit !

Adhiraj...real good info on highend car speakers .But the cost equation is tough to convice , here we have needy people more than experimenters

Well , lets look at it from the pov of manufacturers , they need to build something they can ship easily=light , something that does not cost the earth to produce =less woodworking , less labour and make a profit after all of that .If you were to go all out after sq , make solid cabinets , they would probably weigh 3 or 4 times as much as something you would buy off the shelf , for the same price. Now , why would it be heavier ? better materials , more reinforcement the only profit you are after is SQ hence the all out effort for it.Result being , a better speaker , better engineered , not built to ship .So I guess it would make some sense to try and put something together yourself , the internet is full of knowledge , try an established design perhaps by zaph audio or Troels gravesen (genius!) or throw caution into the wind and build your own from scratch . Point is , rupee for rupee , it will likely out perform something similar , upto a point. Now if you go spending 10 L+ on a diy project , I think you might be disappointed , at that range manufacturers pull out all the stops to deliver the best . So if I were you , I would give it a shot , I might be validated which would mean you end up with a great speaker , or you could be out of 20000, bottom line.

they need to build something they can ship easily=light ........ better materials , more reinforcement ....... the only profit you are after is SQ hence the all out effort for it.Result being , a better speaker , better engineered , not built to ship ............. Point is , rupee for rupee , it will likely out perform something similar , upto a point.

We cannot depend on driver manufacturers in india, but we can depend on Indian carpenters for their skill. Choose a proven project design at a price point. Get drivers (and crossovers ?? ) shipped from abroad, with proven box designs.
Get a skilled carpenters. Just show the carpenters what you want . eSpecially show him Anil Kumars woodwork. Supervise them and get some fantastic, re-enforced ,inert box created with whatever finish you like !!!!! (No marketing / No box shipping cost / no dealer margins / No risk of damage while transporting )

But can this beat a company product rupee for rupee and beat a company produced speaker (with their dedicated R&D and purchasing team negotiating hard to get the raw materials) ??? By what ratio from your experience???

Please suggest a TL design at 15K-20K max pricepoint . (20K max for end product).

Last edited:
An Interesting read. and i found my next Diy project. A simple Vented mini tower design.
========================
Found a "Like New" MTX T6S652-THUNDER6000 series component speaker on OLX for 3K. will be using that with original Xover that comes with the speaker. Reviews on the speaker says the manufacturer has concentrated on sound quality rather than quantity. This speaker:
MTX Europe - T6S652
will base the box calculations loosely on the Peerless M16GJ glass fiber speaker.
Any suggestions welcome before i start the build most probably next sunday. :clapping:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back