Carrying self used amplifier from abroad.

• Thread starter Deleted member 45006
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45006

Hello everyone, has anyone carried any HiFi equipment recently to India ? I will be coming to India from Germany in two weeks. And I thought of getting my amp which I use here now to my home. Its a used item, and out of production now(atoll in 50). Will Indian customs charge duty on it if I keep it packed in my baggage(not checkin). Or is it a bad idea? Amp is in mint condition, and I suspect they would think its new. No packaging is available. So I will be doing a self packing. Planning to keep it in between my clothes, as its not so heavy(around 7kg).

As you own this equipment I would suggest that you carry the invoice to be on the safer side. You can tell the customs that you own the equipment when you were overseas and hand carrying it back home.

The problem is I do not have the invoice of this. That makes it complicated. Forgot to mention it.

I am not the first owner, I picked it up from a friend of mine here months back. Didn't think I would plan to take it to India back then.

If you don't have the invoice, it may not matter not much provided it is not a high end amp. I know on one past occasion of Bangalore customs checking value on the net for a valve amp of mine.

Its not so hi end, but not mid fi either. Google search won't return the exact model info, as they the SE edition is the only thing we can find. Unfortunately, its around some 600 euros here.

The duty is not payable if the value is within the free limit allowed to you. This value used to be INR 35,000 and if you are returning to India after 3 months, an additional amount of INR 12,000 would be allowed. If you are returning after 365 days, then this additional amount probably, goes to INR 75,000. Kindly see the CBEC website for full details. Kindly take care to declare the item to the officer, try not to pass the Green Channel without declaring it. These customs people have a fair idea of the international prices. Have a safe journey!

I would guess used amp should have a much lower value-I wouldn't consider 600 euro high end. I wouldn't lose much sleep over it-Ive brought many amps in checked in baggage and never had a problem

My daughter recently carried a pair of new Primus bookshelf speakers one each in luggage, each weighing about 7.5 kgs. The cost of both was about Rs 12000. No problem at delhi walking through green channel. The bill was available but was not required to be produced.

The luggage was however opened in USA (place of origin)and repacked after checking the speakers and the customs slip of checking was placed. My daughter was not disturbed by the customs and we came to know of checking at US end,only when we opened the luggage in India.

I would guess used amp should have a much lower value-I wouldn't consider 600 euro high end. I wouldn't lose much sleep over it-Ive brought many amps in checked in baggage and never had a problem
But did you have the invoice of all that you have carried? My issue is : I do not have it!

I should add, you don't need to wear a guilty look as if your smuggling gold through customs. Just treat it casually and if asked ( unlikely since it is a small 7 kgs amp) say that it's a small personal audio amp bought used a few years ago-and if needed you are willing to open your bag and show it. My standard response to the customs guys who try to ask too many questions is to ask them why they don't catch the mules who are bringing gold and stop harassing people like me!

Over the years, I have brought big and small electronic stuff, small speakers, LP records and other stuff. Post 1990 I've never been harassed at customs. Mostly I've walked through green. I have almost always come through Mumbai

Thought of adding a line here. My amp reached safe at home, without any problems. No body asked anything. ;) anyway, I didn't know if it was okay. May be someone who would be in my shoes some other day, can be relaxed!!

As long as its not too unwieldy and if you can be confident and smiling....there should be no problems. If they ask you to pay a nominal duty....so be it..

Happy for you.

Everybody forgets that the duty free allowance for a stay abroad of over a week ( maybe over 3 days ?) entitles you to bring back Rs 45,000/- worth of goods duty free ! None of these electronics goods is restricted. Main thing is to stop feeling 'guilty' about bringing things in. You can bring anything in provided you pay duty. If it's within 45K or maybe a bit over I guess , you can walk out the green channel. Your check in bag could be chalk marked and you could tell them what is inside it. They are more concerned about gold and drugs which we generally have no connection with. :)
Remember today's officers are young and well informed. Don't bring in a $1500 receiver and claim it's under 45K ! You will be asking for trouble. The duty is about 36% on the difference amount. Actual value - 45K.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back