Cartridge Alignment

A K Bhattacharjee

After going through different articles/threads & reviews I came to a conclusion that if the effective arm length plus overhang as specified by the manufacturer is calculated correctly & cartridge is fixed on the headshell, 90% alignment is done. I have seen from my experience that if the cartridge is fixed accordingly, the side of the cartridge body becomes almost parallel to the lines of any protractor.
One more factor, when overhang gauge is used, it is said that the stylus tip should be parallel to the overhang line. That means that cartridge body will be parallel to the headshell. Now when a protractor is used, even after adjusting the cartridge forward or backward, there is a chance that to make the cantilever parallel to the lines, cartridge to be moved left or right slightly. In this case cartridge cannot be parallel to the headshell.
I have seen that if overhang is correct there is least chance of stylus skipping.
It is my request to the fellow member to share their experience on this important issue for the benefit of vinyl lovers.

Stylus alignment to the lines of the protractor is the correct method. Cartridge body styles vary wildly. I think the rectangular bodies are in the minority. If one uses a cartridge with such rectangular body with straight edges, things are easier. Otherwise only the stylus can be used as the alignment reference.

Useful tools: magnifying glass and a powerful torch. A home made over hang gauge can be very useful. It's simple to make --- since the arm is fixed at its pivot, draw an arc whose radius is equal to mounting distance. Punch hole the size of spindle (cut square hole). Draw straight line from pivot center to spindle center.

Draw one more arc whose radius is = (mounting distance + over hang). Stylus tip MUST rest on this arc, and if the stylus were to be extended, it must cut this arc perpendicularly.

If you know the offset angle of your tonearm, draw a "grill" at this angle on the two null points and you have a full fledged protractor.

To use: first align the line that you drew that connects pivot to spindle exactly along these two points. This is critical. If this line is not exactly aligned, the offset angle will never be correct.

PS: talking about it in words is confusing:) It is actually fairly intuitive to create or use. I have simplified my protractor to a one-point type from two-point type. It works beautifully for me.

Last edited:
I use the Mint LP protractor..and found it pretty good but customised to a tonearm + TT

I'm lazy, and I have a technics and a Pioneer Cartridge alignment tool. All my TT are either S arm or P mount. Works for me :D
even the pioneer alignment tool is optional - if you mark a line 4mm behind the line on the technics tool, you are good

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back