Cartridge change causing a skip

50MAK

Hello there wonderful people!

I'm in a bit of a spot putting together my vinyl set up
and I could really do with some expert advise.

My Rotel Rp830 came with an AudioTechnica cartridge and I am trying
to upgrade to An Ortofon 2M Red.
After replacing and aligning the cartridge I balance the tone arm,
set the dial to zero, add 1.8 to it for 1.8 g tracking force, set the
anti-skate to 1.8.. and when I play, the needle is stuck on a groove (it starts skipping).
When I place the needle a little further in, it plays for a few seconds
without skipping before it's stuck again. The skipping reduces when I
add more weight. It played for a little longer without skipping at 2.5
on the counterweight dial but as soon as the needle gets into the gap
between two tracks, it gets stuck again.
The Audiotechnica cartridge has a plastic block on top of it that gets fixed
to the tonearm with long screws with bolts on the other side. The Ortofon
comes with two pairs of screws that're not long enough to hold the block
over the cartridge.
Any words of wisdom?

Here's a video link:

Attachments

• 1661173720045.jpg
    1661173720045.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 1661173720118.jpg
    1661173720118.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 1661171907917.jpg
    1661171907917.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 13
To be honest not sure what the issue is, if you keep the antiskate as 0 do you get any issue ?
do not increase the weight higher than the cartridge is recommended for ie 1.6-2 means ideally keep it at 1.8.

Turntable basic is 1st your turntable need to be proper level, use bubble level gauge set correctly. I have notice in your video cartridges tracking force is high, stylus pressure higher! Use proper stylus force gauge set within manufacture recommend value.

To be honest not sure what the issue is, if you keep the antiskate as 0 do you get any issue ?
do not increase the weight higher than the cartridge is recommended for ie 1.6-2 means ideally keep it at 1.8.
Hi arj. The antiskate at 0 also skips.
So, after setting all the values as recommended (1.8 for the Ortofon 2M red) I tried moving them slightly higher and lower to check if anything changes.

when you play the songs, is the volume /sound skewed to either of a channel ?
if so, the problem could be Azimuth or vertical tracking angle/ the stylus rake angle issue.
I think, it could most likely be the headshell not properly settled on the tonearm, considering all the screws are optimal adjusted.

Check out the tonearm internal cable, it looks you must have pulled it while fixing new cartridge, which must have led to tightening of any such wire resulting in causing obstruction while tracking.

Do check if the tonearm moves smoothly across the record by lifting it by hand. If it is not smooth, just relax the wire a bit inside the tonearm - just my two cents.

Check out the tonearm internal cable, it looks you must have pulled it while fixing new cartridge, which must have led to tightening of any such wire resulting in causing obstruction while tracking.

Do check if the tonearm moves smoothly across the record by lifting it by hand. If it is not smooth, just relax the wire a bit inside the tonearm - just my two cents.
You were right. The cables were out, bunched up under. I tucked them back in with tweezers. But now the tonearm moves all over the place. I dunno how to adjust it right.
Any place I can find steps on doin it the right way?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back