Cartridge Compliance

Asit

Hi folks,

I have been trying to learn a bit on the compliance of a cartridge and its matching with a particular arm. On the net, I found several excellent (to me) discussions on this. For others' benefits, let me list some of them here:

1) PHONO Cartridge Compliance, Tonearm Mass, System Resonance, Loading of MC and MM Capacitance, RIAA Characteristic
2) Tonearm/Cartridge Capability
3) What does cartridge 'compliance' really mean in practice? - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums (read post #11 by user "Pauln")
4) Cartridge / Arm Matching
5) Ortofon - Advanced phono cartridge guide

The resonance of the cantilever that connects the cartridge body to the tracking diamond tip cannot apparently be avoided (in layman's terms, it is quite nicely explained in 'Pauln"'s post in the third link above). The idea is to push the resonant frequency below the audible level, but not too low so that any external vibrations can enhance the resonance. The ideal resonant frequency is suggested to be between 8 and 12 Hz.

The resonant frequency = 1000 / [2 pi * sqrt(M * C)]

where, pi = 3.14 (approx), M = total effective mass in gm of the arm plus cartridge, and C = compliance of the cartridge in um/mN (um is micrometer and mN is milliNewton; um/MN is the same unit as micro cm/Dyne). Frequencies are always in Hz (number of vibrations per second).

Take for example the Rega RB251 tone arm. Its effective mass is 11 gm. Couple this with Ortofon Super OM 10/20/30 MM carts with mass of 5 gm. Taking into account also the mass of the screws etc (typically taken to be 0.5 gm) to fix the cart on the arm, the total effective mass of the combo is 16.5 gms.

Now the compliance of these carts are typically 25 in the units stated above.

If we now plug these into the above formula, we get the resonant frequency to be 7.84 Hz. Seems fine to me. But is it too low?

The Ortofon Super OM 10/20/30 carts actually come with a brass weight attached to the cart body. One can remove it to make it lighter and then mass of the cart actually becomes 2.5 gm, leading to a total effective mass of the cart+arm combo to be 14 gms. In this case, the resonant frequency increases to 8.5 Hz which seems a bit safer. So my conclusion would be to remove the brass weight from these carts if one is using them with the Rega RB251 arm.

Is this correct? Or are there any other factors involved here, some other disadvantages by making the cart lighter?

I have read it in many forums that the newer MM carts from Ortofon, the 2M Red/Blue/Bronze/Black are made to suit the Rega arms. Okay, let us examine that statement. These cartridges weigh 7.2 gm and compliance is typically 20 - 22 in the above-mentioned units. This leads to resonant frequency of 8.23 Hz (if compliance is taken to be 20) and 7.85 Hz (if compliance is taken to be 22).

From the above, can one say that the newer 2M range makes a better match with the Rega 251 arm? I suppose not. Are there any other factors in the matching?

Your comments will be appreciated. For many out there, looking to buy a TT like me and wondering about lots of stuff like the above, this kind of discussion may be useful. Really looking forward to receiving some advice from the experts and impressions from novices and not so experienced like me too.

Regards.

Note to the Mods: There is a similar thread started by jls001. If you want, you can perhaps merge these two threads. That thread went in a somewhat different direction, although still very useful. I have no problem if you merge these threads.

Last edited:
Hi folks,
The resonant frequency = 1000 / [2 pi * sqrt(M * C)]

where, pi = 3.14 (approx), M = total effective mass in gm of the arm plus cartridge, and C = compliance of the cartridge in um/mN (um is micrometer and mN is milliNewton; um/MN is the same unit as micro cm/Dyne). Frequencies are always in Hz (number of vibrations per second).

my 2 cents

This estimate comes from
1. assume the cartridge as a spring mass system with stiffness of the spring as the inverse of compliance
2. Use Newton's second law of motion Md2x/dt2=-x/C
3. solve the differential equation and you will get the time period or frequency of oscillation

point #1 is as simplified as assuming a whole multistory building or even a stadium as a cubic block and analyze heat transfer characteristics required for load calculations in designing air conditioners. So the estimate itself is only a guide line and any attempt to design something only based on it is not advisable. whats the way out? a pure experimental study and then match the numbers

BTW I would like to know how do you find the clearance between the base of 2M series cartridge and the record surface when fitted in a Rega arm which does not allow for vertical height adjustment.

Hi akd,
Thanks for that explanation leading to the derivation of the formula for frequency of the vibration at which there may be a resonance. I also agree that it may give only a rough indication, because of the distribution of the whole mass of the arm and the cartridge is thought to be a single point massive object. But in practice, the formula works pretty well. Why? Because, the mass to be used in the formula is not just the sum total of all the naive masses of the assembly, but the effective mass applicable at the point of contact of the needle with the record groove. There are also ways to estimate this effective mass of a particular combo. Hopefully the masses I have used in the estimations above are all effective masses. Then the calculation is about right and conclusions can be drawn from them. People have done experiments to determine the resonant frequency and it matches reasonably well with the results obtained from the formula if the estimation of the effective masses are correct. The tonearm effective mass is usually available from the manufacturer.

On your question of the adjustment of height of the 2M cartridges on some of the Rega arms, I have seen people discuss such issues quite a lot on different forums, although I myself have not gone through them. Please search in google.

Regards.

hi Asit,
One of the ways of increasing the effective mass is via "Shims" put between the headshell and the cartridge (if that impacts VTA, you can put it above the headshell too
weight.jpg

eg this is a 3 gm one

can be easily fashioned DYI too

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back