CAT5 as speaker cable

amit11

Hi Friends,

I was curious and thinking to use a cat 5 cable as a speaker cable.

What I have read is people remove the outer main covering and separate each wires. Then the braid/twist them in pairs or 3 or 4 or 5. My question is if we can do like this:

Cat 5 contains total 8 wires. The wires can be solid core or stranded. I was interested in the solid core version.
Two wires are twisted with each other already and hence we can say it contains four pairs of twister wires. Now instead of removing the outer main covering, cannot i directly connect it to amp and speaker? Out of 8 wires, i can use four for positive and four for negative. In that way I don't have to remove the outer covering and no need to braid/twise separately.

Regards,
Amit.

You can do whatever you want as long as the wires that you choose for +ve and -ve are not shorting somewhere.

Do you want to re-phrase your question?

Yes i had read that article in the morning while in was searching on net.

The solid core which i had purchased 3 days back, somehow i did not like the sound bcos of lack in clarity. The reason could be since yhey are local brand i am suspecting the copper inside them may not be vety good quality and hence the sound.

Thats why to really get the feel of solid core without so much loss in claity, i wanted to try cat5 cable. Any idea around price one can get?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444569526.641890.jpg

Made a diy interconnect rca from cat 5.
I had a one metre cat 5 cable of one wifi router. Then purchased four rca pins from electrical shop..20 rs each. When i removed the jacket and insulation of cat5, i relaized that the inside wires are stranded and not solid core. However went ahead and without soldering prepared it.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back