CD 6003 misbehaving !

avidyarthy

The CD tray is sometimes (well, most of the times) is getting stuck on the way back ... when activating either the play button or tray button. The amount of the tray going inside ... is always not the same ... sometimes by 1/4th .... sometimes by 3/4ths.

If I try push the tray in (not much effort required ... I should'nt be doing so) the unit shows 'no disc'.

Have to have patience with the buttons ... a few times putting it on/off gets the desired result ie. smooth travel of the tray in ....... and the unit playing the way it plays.

What could be the reason?
- it is not dust, that I am sure.
- the unit is virtually new, less than 6 months old.
- voltage is 'stabilized'. Have'nt noticed any 'visible' fluctuations.

Looking for some expert assistance. I have a fetish to have everything working perfectly..........else ... :mad:. Hope, it is not too serious an issue!

In most cd players there is normally a sensor inside for the opening and closing of the tray. Dust on the sensor could cause a problem.

misbehaving? That player needs a slap on butt. It has worked for me since ages of our Murphy transistor radio.

It has started to get on my nerves .... it is taking its own time, after playing with the tray open/close button.

Now considering handing over the CPp to someone trustworthy to open up and check ..........

considering handing over the CPp to someone trustworthy to open up and check ..........

Sensible option. As Prem suggested, the 'No disc' message might be because of the dust on the sensor. Not fully closing be could be because the belt may be slipping or the mechanism is faulty.

"No disc' is not an issue here ..... 'No disc' is coming only when I push the stalled tray in (with a CD) physically. So, it can't be dust.

It is not mechanical issue too ... since, a number of times the tray is sliding in smoothly and the disc plays normally.

Possibly, the unit is not reading the command as it should ..... or there is a software outrage ....... Have heard some talk on some teething faults in the Marantz CD feed mechanism ... :mad:

Hi av,

I had some problems earlier with my CDP as well, then I opened the CDP and observed some loose connection in the connecting wire strip between the mechanism and Motherboard, I removed the strip cleaned both the ends interchanged the ends and fixed the strip and now I don't get the No-Disc message.

It may be a loose connection try it out.

N.Murali

Hopefully have been able to figure the issue out.

The CD tray has two rows of teeth cut onto the bottom part of the tray. The teeth (might) be following a route inside the unit .... have'nt opened up the unit to see, so, do not know. I have wiped off the teeth with a damp cloth, and yes, there was a good hint of dust on them. Why it made it difficult to figure out was, it is on the bottom portion of the tray ... and simply was not expecting dust to settle on the reverse 'upside-down' teeth.

Possibly this could be the reason ..... CD tray closing normally now .... shall try out again tomorrow to be dead sure ... :)

Do you believe in ghosts? :D
If not ,try it and blame it on a ghost. Your headache may reduce a bit.

Just kidding. Best luck for your attempt to open it. Even i have that 'fetish ' for everything working very smoothly and i know how irritating it becomes when something misbehaves even to the slightest extent.

My hi-fi service guy rectified it. Took a good half an hour to see the mechanism inside before attempting to open it. I don't think I could have managed it myself.

Some load misalignment .... geared wheel tooth had lost clean contact with the tooth on the straight rail by a whisker ... resulting in extra load to the tray mechanism, which was shutting down ... while returning. This was happening in irregular cycles.

Without opening the unit .... there was no way to set it right. It was'nt a dust issue.

First time I was looking at a CD player insides. Pretty clean circuits 'drawn' by Marantz. However, the plastic CD tray / 'halka' mechanism is a big disappointment. The plastic could have been brushed aluminium. Looks like, Marantz has simply bought this part as a whole from Philips and integrated into the box. The CD lens model is Philips 101 PS ........ whose quality and performance is way below Sony's 210 / 213 / 240 .... as informed by my local service guy. Whatever it is ......Thanks to him.

If you are going into hotel,see how the food tastes. Dont look in the kitchen.
Or like the signature of OMISHRA: the motto should be 'I cook my own food'DIY.
But I must appreciate that you allowed non marantz guy to open the unit. I will be scared to do that .

First time I was looking at a CD player insides. Pretty clean circuits 'drawn' by Marantz. However, the plastic CD tray / 'halka' mechanism is a big disappointment. The plastic could have been brushed aluminium. Looks like, Marantz has simply bought this part as a whole from Philips and integrated into the box. The CD lens model is Philips 101 PS ........ whose quality and performance is way below Sony's 210 / 213 / 240 .... as informed by my local service guy. Whatever it is ......Thanks to him.

After one week of A/B listening and swapping, I concluded that the Marantz CD6002 is inferior to the Oppo BD-80 as a transport. :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back