CD and Vinyl Buying Online Source

Vivek Batra

Hi

Could you please suggest a good online source to buy Audio CDs and Vinyls in India. I have not bought any CD/Vinyl(s) online before. I am looking for some old Hindi high quality songs and some old English artists's albums. The local shops are now selling more of mp3 CDs rather than audio CDs. The sources I know are Amazon and Flipkart. I am sure there must be more regular go to shops.

Thanks.

Vivek

For Hindi I had bought from this website https://www.induna.com/ and WAV files at Saregama, apart from Amazon and Infibeam (earlier). For Vinyl, https://ngh.co.in/
Revolver club also has Vinyl, but never bought from them. Prices are on the higher side compared to ngh

Last edited by a moderator:
eBay is perhaps the best source for CDs - especially western, but even Indian. You might get occasionally charged customs but still can get good stuff.

Infibeam used to be a great source, but they’ve stopped selling CDs (just some residual stock).

Yes, Induna is good source for Indian CDs, but I find increasing stockouts there too.

Amazon is good source for Rs 200-300 Indian film CDs, especially new. But avoid the Rs 400 odd international stuff (for Indian market) - they generally sound poorer than the imported originals. Imported CDs on Amazon are exorbitantly priced (I got most of mine from Infibeam at 60-70% Amazon’s price when Infibeam sourced from a US based distributor. not anymore).

If you are game, try resellers in your city who buy old CDs in lots, then sort them and sell. You can get some gold if you mine.

I don’t have any clue about vinyl sources, but beware of digital stuff pedalled on vinyl.

Also try Tidal for those albums that you aren’t sure you’d listen to repeatedly. The FLAC version isn’t exactly CD sound quality (and I don’t mean resolution), but pretty good unless you do a back to back comparison.

eBay is perhaps the best source for CDs - especially western, but even Indian. You might get occasionally charged customs but still can get good stuff.

Infibeam used to be a great source, but they’ve stopped selling CDs (just some residual stock).

Yes, Induna is good source for Indian CDs, but I find increasing stockouts there too.

Amazon is good source for Rs 200-300 Indian film CDs, especially new. But avoid the Rs 400 odd international stuff (for Indian market) - they generally sound poorer than the imported originals. Imported CDs on Amazon are exorbitantly priced (I got most of mine from Infibeam at 60-70% Amazon’s price when Infibeam sourced from a US based distributor. not anymore).

If you are game, try resellers in your city who buy old CDs in lots, then sort them and sell. You can get some gold if you mine.

I don’t have any clue about vinyl sources, but beware of digital stuff pedalled on vinyl.

Also try Tidal for those albums that you aren’t sure you’d listen to repeatedly. The FLAC version isn’t exactly CD sound quality (and I don’t mean resolution), but pretty good unless you do a back to back comparison.
Thanks Sachin for the detailed information. I'll try out your suggestions

but beware of digital stuff pedalled on vinyl.
Ha ha! this was a major reason for my short stint with Vinyl, which is kind of over now :). Near mint ones from the analog master are sold by greedy dealers at prices more than that of an entry level TT :oops:

Ha ha! this was a major reason for my short stint with Vinyl, which is kind of over now :). Near mint ones from the analog master are sold by greedy dealers at prices more than that of an entry level TT :oops:
How to look for this? Anything in the product description or whats the criteria to find this out that the vinyl is not based on CD?

How to look for this? Anything in the product description or whats the criteria to find this out that the vinyl is not based on CD?
In Hindi OST, most albums produced before 1987 had analog masters which Saregama has lost (I think most of it). All they have are the digital archives in mp3 which they have been trying to sell repackaged as Vinyl to gullible buyers recently. Seeing that people are willing to fork out Rs 1500 for a mp3 to Vinyl, greedy dealers have raised the prices of the original pressings derived from the analog masters. So if the album you're looking for is recently released, go for the CD/digital download. In some cases with digital masters, the labels have managed to master the Vinyl releases from the 90s better than the digital CD you find off the shelf. But IMO, they should've released a good quality CD instead of making money out of the recent spike in Vinyl interest :)
FM prem had mentioned about Made in England CDs in another thread. You can get them for the 1987-1992 period

This thread should also help. This is again for Hindi OST

www.discogs.com

Once you start buying there, u will not even give a thought to getting any vinyl or cds from dealer's in India. Buy in lots of 4-5 lps and u won't have an issue with customs as well.

In Hindi OST, most albums produced before 1987 had analog masters which Saregama has lost (I think most of it). All they have are the digital archives in mp3 which they have been trying to sell repackaged as Vinyl to gullible buyers recently. Seeing that people are willing to fork out Rs 1500 for a mp3 to Vinyl, greedy dealers have raised the prices of the original pressings derived from the analog masters. So if the album you're looking for is recently released, go for the CD/digital download. In some cases with digital masters, the labels have managed to master the Vinyl releases from the 90s better than the digital CD you find off the shelf. But IMO, they should've released a good quality CD instead of making money out of the recent spike in Vinyl interest :)
FM prem had mentioned about Made in England CDs in another thread. You can get them for the 1987-1992 period
one of my friends had sold the servers to Saregama many years back and as per him their conversion was pretty pedestrian. I think they upsample 128kbps as lossless :mad:
they lost some but others are there in Vinyl somewhere

Revolver club also has Vinyl, but never bought from them. Prices are on the higher side compared to ngh
Bought a few from TRC, they package the lps well with thick cardboards. Yes, the prices are slightly higher, and the lp collection not large.

www.discogs.com

Once you start buying there, u will not even give a thought to getting any vinyl or cds from dealer's in India. Buy in lots of 4-5 lps and u won't have an issue with customs as well.

Never tried buying through Discogs. Is it as safe as eBay? My experience with the latter is excellent. eBay has a well working rating model that ensures sellers take full responsibility of delays, damages, condition mismatches. They promptly process the refund. Does Discogs have similar protection?

House of Rhythm.

Disclaimer: I have never bought anything from this store so I don't how good or bad is their service/packaging/etc.

That looks like from the erstwhile Rhythm House in which case the pedigree is proven. But too sparse collection. And the international CDs are mostly the Indian market versions (Universal, Sony etc) priced at Rs 400-500 which don’t sound as good as imported versions.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back