cd player as DAC with USB(type A) under 40k

sam_007

My current onkyo AVR has stop functioning n now want to move to 100% stereo mode(no 5.1, 7.1 simple 2 channel) .
I have source as cd(very few),digital files in .wav n .mp3 and my digital out from TATA SKY STB(love mtuneHD and sony rox).
So, I need a CDP cum DAC as well it will be better if the cdp has a USB(type A ) in for playing digital files.
Bugdet is 40k, any such CDP in this range?

If not will go with used CDP + DAC.
My friend is coming from US, can bring schiit modi multibit DAC.

suggestions needed.

What speakers do you have currently?

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

What speakers do you have currently?

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

As I am replacing whole onkyo AVR+speakers, so new speakers yet to decide(it will be bookshelf within 25k). Since friend is coming from US, need to decide between cdp or used cdp+dac so that I can bring one from there.

If its a clean start setup, I would start with speakers and /or amp. As you mentioned you have a (very) few CD's, you might not want to invest in a CD player. Instead jack-up your budget for amp with an Integrated DAC. Try to sort out what your overall budget is as it could be easy for other FM's to give idea's about where to spend the most and the least.

Do you have a DVD or blu ray player? Many FMs are happy using such a player for CD playback with an external DAC. I had a Marantz DV4001 which was excellent for CD playback.

This meets most of your requirements

Marantz M-CR611 Melody Media

It has a decent amp too, should be in your budget if getting from abroad

CR 611, not interested for most of the features like AIRPLAY, SPOTIFY(not sure if it will work in india), BLUETOOTH AND INTERNET RADIO.

Not sure if it is good to have so many features + amp bundled in one box...

music hall 15.3 cdp has dac (but no USB input :eek:) , not sure about the price of it in India...

Do you have a DVD or blu ray player? Many FMs are happy using such a player for CD playback with an external DAC. I had a Marantz DV4001 which was excellent for CD playback.

Don't have any DVD or blu ray player, but have read many such reviews as well where FMs feel a noticeable difference when shifted from DVP to CDP....

If your CD collection is not huge then why go toward a CD player at all? Get a good DAC, use a bluray player or perhaps an used CD player from Cambridge Audio or Marantz or something similar and use the coax to your DAC. This by far is the better way to go in my opinion.
As others have suggested though, perhaps start with amp and speakers first. Which speakers do you currently have and which ones are you planning to go to? I should suggest for stereo try (if at all possible and feasible) increase the budget from 25.
I advice people something which I followed when I was on my speaker hunt. Get the next best option even if it is out of your budget by a little, this way you will not feel the need to upgrade in an year's time. Stereo is serious matter for most once you get into it, you are more than likely to feel the urge to extract the last bit you can from your system, that is why it is better to spend a little more to get something to keep you satisfied for a while.

Since you are starting afresh a DAC can perhaps wait a little, invest on a good pair of speaker and good amplifier, these are by far the most important components in your chain. Amps these days do come with a DAC built-in, take advantage of that while you save up for a DAC.

My current onkyo AVR has stop functioning n now want to move to 100% stereo mode(no 5.1, 7.1 simple 2 channel) .
I have source as cd(very few),digital files in .wav n .mp3 and my digital out from TATA SKY STB(love mtuneHD and sony rox).
So, I need a CDP cum DAC as well it will be better if the cdp has a USB(type A ) in for playing digital files.
Bugdet is 40k, any such CDP in this range?

If not will go with used CDP + DAC.
My friend is coming from US, can bring schiit modi multibit DAC.

suggestions needed.

I will suggest to go for CD player + Decent DAC option. 40K is really a good budget for both.
It will give you better performance than any stand alone CD player.

If your CD collection is not huge then why go toward a CD player at all? Get a good DAC, use a bluray player or perhaps an used CD player from Cambridge Audio or Marantz or something similar and use the coax to your DAC. This by far is the better way to go in my opinion.
As others have suggested though, perhaps start with amp and speakers first. Which speakers do you currently have and which ones are you planning to go to? I should suggest for stereo try (if at all possible and feasible) increase the budget from 25.
I advice people something which I followed when I was on my speaker hunt. Get the next best option even if it is out of your budget by a little, this way you will not feel the need to upgrade in an year's time. Stereo is serious matter for most once you get into it, you are more than likely to feel the urge to extract the last bit you can from your system, that is why it is better to spend a little more to get something to keep you satisfied for a while.

Since you are starting afresh a DAC can perhaps wait a little, invest on a good pair of speaker and good amplifier, these are by far the most important components in your chain. Amps these days do come with a DAC built-in, take advantage of that while you save up for a DAC.

If I am going for used cdp + dac then I will not be able to play my digital files as only high end CDP has that option of USB(type A) input for digi files.

Yes I should 1st go for amp+speaker, but my friend from from abroad can bring an item max of 2-3 kilos, so in a confusion of dac or cdp.

If I am going for dac, is it good to get a standalone dac or am amp built in with dac? amp like PM6005 does not have the USB in for laptop as well.

@manoj.p , r u suggesting blue ray player + dac?

@music4mhell , I am bit inclined to used cdp + dac but m not able to find any cdp with USB input in below 20k range. any such cdp?

If I am going for used cdp + dac then I will not be able to play my digital files as only high end CDP has that option of USB(type A) input for digi files.

Yes I should 1st go for amp+speaker, but my friend from from abroad can bring an item max of 2-3 kilos, so in a confusion of dac or cdp.

If I am going for dac, is it good to get a standalone dac or am amp built in with dac? amp like PM6005 does not have the USB in for laptop as well.

Why won't you be able to play your digital files if only the coax input of the DAC will be engaged by the CDP? You can use the USB input to play from a laptop/media player (such as one with Raspberry Pi), this by far is the most convenient solution and is widely used.

@manoj.p , r u suggesting blue ray player + dac?

@music4mhell , I am bit inclined to used cdp + dac but m not able to find any cdp with USB input in below 20k range. any such cdp?

Yes. But I am suggesting Oppo Bluray player. It is very well renowned for audio prowes. I believe it costs around INR 70k in India. But sells for $500 in US. You will save decent amount and get a solid all in one, universal player. Plays CD's, SACD's, DVD-Audio, bluray, pretty much everything. It has the USB in as well as HDMI in (for your other sources)

Why won't you be able to play your digital files if only the coax input of the DAC will be engaged by the CDP? You can use the USB input to play from a laptop/media player (such as one with Raspberry Pi), this by far is the most convenient solution and is widely used.

Yes, I can use the USB input of DAC, but I am keen to play digi files through the USB input of CDP(like marantz cd6005, not sure if any cheap CDP available with USB input).

Yes. But I am suggesting Oppo Bluray player. It is very well renowned for audio prowes. I believe it costs around INR 70k in India. But sells for $500 in US. You will save decent amount and get a solid all in one, universal player. Plays CD's, SACD's, DVD-Audio, bluray, pretty much everything. It has the USB in as well as HDMI in (for your other sources)

this is out of my budget...

I am going for a DAC, and sorted two DACs in the range of $250(from US),
1. schiit modi multibit
2. musical fidelity V90
which one will be better considering SQ and durability ?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back