CD player buying advice..

subabu2002

hi FM ,

until now i am listening audio songs from DVD player or in my computer..

recent days i read about dedicated CD player will do better in sound output than normal DVD player or from computer..

i am now interesting to buy CD player... but price seems too far from basic DVD player.. i know that components from cd players are in rich and high quality..

there are some budget CD players onkyo , denon available for my budget and high end marantz also

but i dont have any options to test CD players in my native town..

so pls advice for getting new CD player for better marginal quality or simply with DVD player..

my current set up ,

marantz pm 6005 stereo amp
q acoustics 2020i
sony bluray player

i am happy with this setup , but if i can get better results ( atleast easily identifying difference ) with cd player, i am thinking to buy cd player

pls advice

- suresh babu

Hi Suresh Babu,

A dedicated CD player will definitely sound better that a DVD player, however based on your budget you should also look at DAC's. Do look at used ones in the forum.

Regards

The view generally prevalent on this forum is that the transport or disc spinner contributes less to the sound quality than the digital to analogue converter or DAC.

On accepting this view, it follows that you would be better served by retaining your existing transport, whether computer or dvd player, and investing in a good DAC. You could then feed the digital output from your existing transport into the DAC.

You could read the posts about DACs and then decide your plan of action.

As you would be aware, your Marantz PM 6005 amplifier has a built-in DAC of good quality. You could feed your transport's digital output into it and try out its sound quality.

Last edited:
hi FM ,

until now i am listening audio songs from DVD player or in my computer..

recent days i read about dedicated CD player will do better in sound output than normal DVD player or from computer..

i am now interesting to buy CD player... but price seems too far from basic DVD player.. i know that components from cd players are in rich and high quality..

there are some budget CD players onkyo , denon available for my budget and high end marantz also

but i dont have any options to test CD players in my native town..

so pls advice for getting new CD player for better marginal quality or simply with DVD player..

my current set up ,

marantz pm 6005 stereo amp
q acoustics 2020i
sony bluray player

i am happy with this setup , but if i can get better results ( atleast easily identifying difference ) with cd player, i am thinking to buy cd player

pls advice

- suresh babu

Hi Suresh , I would suggest getting an audition of your shortlist if possible. It might mean some extra legwork but at least you are sure of buying what suits your taste.Yes transports attached to a separate power-supply and a separate DAC definitely sound better than a CD player which have everything built in it . But yet again the key heres is wether all your other electronics , speakers and cables match upto each other. I have an Electrocompaniet PC 1 cd player which i am looking to sell beacuse i am going for a MSB diamond cd transport, If you are ever in mumbai do swing by for an audition.
Cheers!
Anand Iyer

STEREO: Transrotor zet 1 TT, Transrotor 8.2 MC reference phono stage, Ortofon rondo red cartridge,MSB Platinum iv DAC, Electrocompaniet PC -1 CD player, mola mola Kaluga power amplifiers, Transparent audio Ultra cables and interconnects, Transparent audio premium USB cable , Synology D 415 play 12 TB RAID NAS drive ,Mac book air with Roon, Joseph Audio Perspectives Floor-standers , Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic panels, Blue jeans CAT6a cables. Apple airport extreme router and D link switcher.

HT1: Optoma HD 82 projector, Ibox media player, Synology D 415 play 12 TB RAID NAS drive, Anthem MRX 500 AV receiver , B & W centres & surrounds , REL T5 subwoofer.

HT2: Panasonic 42' Plasma, Monitor audio Radius R250 centre and front speakers, Radius R90 rears and radius R360 subwoofer. Dune media player and pioneer BDP 140 blu ray player.

Do a favour on your wallet and save some time and confusions. If I were you I would get a Marantz 6005 CDP only for best synergy. Which is more important then anything else imho.

Hi Suresh,

Since you have both PC as well as bluray player, as people have suggested buy a decent DAC where you can play music from either bluray player/PC to DAC to your amp.

Or just use the digital in/out from your bluray player and amplifier, if you are not satisfied then go for the above option.

Hi,
Check out the Marantz cd 63 SE listed on HIFIADS. Its priced at 15K, and a player that is known for sound quality. The 63SE will give you a sense of what decent digital can deliver.

The original post is dated January 2017, it was bumped after 3 months of inactivity.

Mostly the OP would have bought a Cdp by now, else he has got a acceptable solution.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back