CD to be always kept inside CD tray?

bhaduri

I have googled a lot for many years and still found no concrete answer. Should a CD be always kept inside the CD tray/slot in your hifi/car? Previously, I used to believe the CD should always be taken out before turning the mechanism off. Now, a dealer told me keeping a CD inside the HIFI tray/car slot prevents dust build-up in the lens. Which one is true?

Well previously when I used own hifi system .. the store owner/salesmen used to tell me the same thing, but personally I dont think so it makes much difference, infact if you happen to move your system while cd still inside that could seriously lead to some damage to your lens or motor,so use some branded cd cleaner to clean the lens that's what I would recommend you to do.

I have read about this too and I doubt if it helps. I have rarely left a cd on the loader tray and have never experienced any read issues. I speak from experience and after owning multiple disc spinners right from VCD, CD players and DVD players

The lens is well protected even if you do not leave a cd on the loader tray. The size of the loader tray itself acts as a level of protection for the lens.

I cant comment on the topic , Since the Lens is mounted atleast few Cm away from the CD and no way its going to impact the Performance neither there is CD or not.

Coming back to Dust accumulation. I Just use a piece of cloth sicked on the top of Tray, So then once the Tray get closed the Cloth would cover the tray and its surrounding and filters the Dust to getting in.

Hi

IMO, I still keep a Disc in the various players I used in the past and even today...yes it is true that the lens is cms away from the actual Disc and comes in contact once you play or stop at that point....

Unless you are moving the player from one place to another, I don't see any harm in keeping a disc....

Dust will collect at the opening of a car player irrespective of if you have a cd inside of it or not. What he might be referring to is if there is a strong buildup, some dust maybe carried in when inserting a cd

I cant comment on the topic , Since the Lens is mounted atleast few Cm away from the CD and no way its going to impact the Performance neither there is CD or not.

Coming back to Dust accumulation. I Just use a piece of cloth sicked on the top of Tray, So then once the Tray get closed the Cloth would cover the tray and its surrounding and filters the Dust to getting in.

Interesting that you put a cloth inside the CD tray. Anybody else do this?

Well, not sure what is right or wrong. All I can say is that I lost a Sony music system due to a CD left inside the CD Tray. Somehow the CD came off it's lock and each time the music system did a self check on start up by spinning the disc it used to hit the lens and finally damaged it. This used to fail the Self Check and put the system into sleep mode. Replacing the lens was almost half the cost of entire system. Left it as is.

Since then, I make sure, I leave no disc inside the tray.

MaSh

Somehow the CD came off it's lock and each time the music system did a self check on start up by spinning the disc it used to hit the lens and finally damaged it.

Sounds more like a design defect of the lock. The disc should never come off it.

I Just use a piece of cloth sicked on the top of Tray

This sounds extreme if you ask me. Isn't there a possibility of this cloth to get caught between the tray loader and the chassis?

Last edited:
This sounds extreme if you ask me. Isn't there a possibility of this cloth to get caught between the tray loader and the chassis?

:eek:hyeah: Sorry the way I explained might be taken wrong.I just paste cloth on the tray led(on the front),So that once you close the tray, the cloth come close to the cabin of the CD Player and avoids dust to get it.:eek:

If your CD loader is sealed eg Yamaha CDS2000/1000/3000 and unlike Denon DCD1500/1510 ets it better to leave a CD inside the tray. If dust seeps in which it does will offer at least some protection than nothing at all. Google the Yamaha and Denon models and look at the loaders you will get an idea as to what I saying. Never use a CD lens cleaner.

Both are tray loader but look close and you will see the Yamaha drives are completely sealed unlike the Denon which has a gap even when the tray shuts in.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back