Center Speaker Suggestion

manujgupta

I have KEF Q950 running through Marantz SR7013. I have opted for KEF Q50a as surround speakers. The natural choice for center speaker would now be KEF Q650C. However my screen is in the middle of the room and the false ceiling height is 9ft. I wanted to know if it is fine to hang the center speaker at this height. Ceiling is the only option for the speaker. The picture of the room is attached along for reference.
The dealer has recommended getting a platform done at the ceiling where in I can keep the speaker. Kindly suggest as if it is advisable to have the center speaker at such height. Also, if kept on platform attached from the ceiling, should the speaker kept straight or should it be kept at an angular position pointing down towards the ear position?

Thanks
Manuj

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-22 at 15.51.17.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-22 at 15.51.17.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 49
I dont think you will get good imaging if you hand center on ceiling. One thing you can try is if screen is acoustically transparent, then keep the center behind the screen and see how it works out.

I have KEF Q950 running through Marantz SR7013. I have opted for KEF Q50a as surround speakers. The natural choice for center speaker would now be KEF Q650C. However my screen is in the middle of the room and the false ceiling height is 9ft. I wanted to know if it is fine to hang the center speaker at this height. Ceiling is the only option for the speaker. The picture of the room is attached along for reference.
The dealer has recommended getting a platform done at the ceiling where in I can keep the speaker. Kindly suggest as if it is advisable to have the center speaker at such height. Also, if kept on platform attached from the ceiling, should the speaker kept straight or should it be kept at an angular position pointing down towards the ear position?

Thanks
Manuj
You could also look at putting a centre speaker stand in front of the screen on the floor. Which could be moved to the side when the screen pulled up

This is a nice article on the center channel placement, have a look. Hope this helps.

Thanks
Manuj

Hi

I had thought about this and did it in the past when my center speaker had issues.....it worked like a charm.....why dont you try it and perhaps you may not need to purchase a center speaker at all! I noticed with the screen pulled down, there is still room space after the screen so placing a center is tricky....depending on your setup, you can perhaps direct more power to the front speakers and get the best out of them...

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back