• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Cheap low cost stereo amp with or without sub out for my TABAQ transmission line DIY speaker.

Home Theatre Systems

marX

Hi !
I have a TABAQ diy speaker and need a small integrated amp to power it.

The problem with the TABAQ is that it's not loud and thus can't be used as my main system. I plan to add a low cost powered/passive subwoofer and free the TABAQ from the sub 300hz sound reproduction duties to increase the spl.

So, need a cheap amp which costs like 5k or below which can be shipped to my place ( Kerala) at seller's risk. Decent sounding diy amps would also be ok. The power should be 16W @8 ohm or more.

Sorry about saying the shipping risks should be solely on the seller. It's just that I had my share of money loss due to irresponsible packing by the seller and mishandling of the package by the courier guys. I'm just fed up !!!!

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

SwaroopKS

Hi,

Can you please share the details of your speaker build? I have a TABAQ speaker myself and the low end on them is very impressive. They fill up my 170 sq ft room without breaking sweat so was curious on the drivers you used.

Apologies if this is derailing the thread and if so we can discuss on PM.

Thanks
Satya

greenhorn

The cheapest way to do it is to buy a 2.1 tpa3116d2 board and an oem 90w laptop adapter off Amazon prime. It's Amazon fulfilled, so zero risk to you. Together they will cost 2.5k or so. I threw them together in the Amazon box they came in, and added an eBay Vu meter kit and was up and running
4u9sls.jpg

The crossover frequency is not so clearly defined. If You're serious about the 300hz, at 8 ohms that translates to a 68uf non polar cap in series with the speakers. They're available with diyaudiocart.

Last edited:

marX

Hi,

Can you please share the details of your speaker build? I have a TABAQ speaker myself and the low end on them is very impressive. They fill up my 170 sq ft room without breaking sweat so was curious on the drivers you used.

Apologies if this is derailing the thread and if so we can discuss on PM.

Thanks
Satya
It's based on the Tangband 3" full range driver.
Yeah, the bass is there but I'm used to the floor shaking bass of my main system, the Yamaha AS500 with the Magnat Audio speakers.

And by the way, I'm going to gift this new system to my Pappa who is a professional musician. So, it better not underwhelm !!

The cheapest way to do it is to buy a 2.1 tpa3116d2 board and an oem 90w laptop adapter off Amazon prime. It's Amazon fulfilled, so zero risk to you. Together they will cost 2.5k or so. I threw them together in the Amazon box they came in, and added an eBay Vu meter kit and was up and running
4u9sls.jpg

The crossover frequency is not so clearly defined. If You're serious about the 300hz, at 8 ohms that translates to a 68uf non polar cap in series with the speakers. They're available with diyaudiocart.
Any recommendations on the amp board ?
Also, would I needed to replace any capacitors of that board ?

greenhorn

If this is going to be a gift, then i think you may need something better.
I don't think there is anything you can get in india - maybe something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-HIFI-Amplifier-FX-XL-2-1BL-2-1-Channel-Multimedia-Audio-Player-Bluetooth/262494818696?hash=item3d1de91188:g:q88AAOSwOVpXa5KA&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=FX+Audio+XL-2.1&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=1|1|1
but then too much risk getting it through customs etc.
but its crossover is still a bit low for your requirement at 180hz. 300hz is pretty high. most variable LFE boards only go up to 250. if you want 300, you may be better off buying a minidsp or something custom

EDIT: another alternative - Buy a 2.1 like a F&D A520/Logitech Z333/623 (as per your budget) and swap out the satellites with your speakers

Last edited:

marX

If this is going to be a gift, then i think you may need something better.
I don't think there is anything you can get in india - maybe something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-HIFI-Amplifier-FX-XL-2-1BL-2-1-Channel-Multimedia-Audio-Player-Bluetooth/262494818696?hash=item3d1de91188:g:q88AAOSwOVpXa5KA&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=FX+Audio+XL-2.1&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=1|1|1
but then too much risk getting it through customs etc.
but its crossover is still a bit low for your requirement at 180hz. 300hz is pretty high. most variable LFE boards only go up to 250. if you want 300, you may be better off buying a minidsp or something custom

EDIT: another alternative - Buy a 2.1 like a F&D A520/Logitech Z333/623 (as per your budget) and swap out the satellites with your speakers
Hmm...if I don't get any offers from here, I might get a kit amp from Mr Bibin like the Allo Volt + or a Chi-fi amp like you mentioned from ebay or aliexpress or madisound.
Hope that I get some offers from forum members from Kerala so that I can avoid the shipping risk.

I don't like the your second idea. If I were to do that, I would get the Hivi Swan M10 and call it a day lol :D
Its not that costly and supposed to sound very good :p

greenhorn

It's not that bad an idea, The original Z 2200 came with a tang band driver extremely similar to the ones that are used in a lot of tabaq designs.
I was using Z2300 + hiq speakers and they were awesome!

marX

It's not that bad an idea, The original Z 2200 came with a tang band driver extremely similar to the ones that are used in a lot of tabaq designs.
I was using Z2300 + hiq speakers and they were awesome!
Really ?
Cool !

But as I can get the Swan at less than 7k, why bother lol.

BTW, I just checked the amazon.in and I can get a chi-fi 2.1 amp for like 1000 bucks ! WOW !!
Its really astonishing !!

jmascreen

I had made the folded tabaq using drivers from fm linuxguru and used it with 800 Rs leppy amplifer from amazon. It sounded very good and I gifted the entire set to a western classical/jazz additict.

marX

I had made the folded tabaq using drivers from fm linuxguru and used it with 800 Rs leppy amplifer from amazon. It sounded very good and I gifted the entire set to a western classical/jazz additict.
Great to know that.
By the way,can you give me a link for that particular model ?

greenhorn

Really ?
Cool !

But as I can get the Swan at less than 7k, why bother lol.
The 5 inch 15W Subwoofer on the swans cannot hold a candle to the 7" 100+ W RMS and the equally good power on the satellite channels on the Z623. Also the weak point on the Z623 is the puny sattelites which you would be taking care of with your drivers and enclosure.

BTW, I just checked the amazon.in and I can get a chi-fi 2.1 amp for like 1000 bucks ! WOW !!
Its really astonishing !!
That's what I proposed earlier. Bear in mind a good 90W laptop adapter to run it is another 1.3k unless you have a spare one lying around.
Given your requirements of a 300hz high pass, and a powered subwoofer, a computer speaker would already have these things in place, and look like a finished product, than an experiment if you are giving it to someone. Most powered subs run in the 80-200hz range, so trying to do this yourself would get complicated and expensive very fast. Why bother when an exact fit for what you're planning to do exists anyway.

marX

The 5 inch 15W Subwoofer on the swans cannot hold a candle to the 7" 100+ W RMS and the equally good power on the satellite channels on the Z623. Also the weak point on the Z623 is the puny sattelites which you would be taking care of with your drivers and enclosure.

That's what I proposed earlier. Bear in mind a good 90W laptop adapter to run it is another 1.3k unless you have a spare one lying around.
Given your requirements of a 300hz high pass, and a powered subwoofer, a computer speaker would already have these things in place, and look like a finished product, than an experiment if you are giving it to someone. Most powered subs run in the 80-200hz range, so trying to do this yourself would get complicated and expensive very fast. Why bother when an exact fit for what you're planning to do exists anyway.
Good points and I agree with you but if I get a 2.1amp for like 1k and a power supply at 1.2k, I still have around 3k to DIY a sub myself !

Let me think for a moment !

By the way, the tang band drivers I have have is 8 ohm and how would I know the amp inside the Z623 matches with it ?

Kannan_madhu

Try ali express 2.1 amp boards based on 3116 will be available for 600 to 800 , and nowadays they ship fast ( depending on seller ) i got my sub amp board and pifi dac board within 10 days to thrissur

greenhorn

By the way, the tang band drivers I have have is 8 ohm and how would I know the amp inside the Z623 matches with it ?

the crossover is active, so impedance will not change the cutoff frequency.
Your power will be halved from 40 to 20, but thats good because the amp is too powerful for the speakers. My Z2300 stock driver disintegrated when I ran it at full blast for a party I think those drivers are rated around 20 W anyway, and the sub volume is adjustable separately, so matching levels should not be an issue