?cheated with a display piece LG 42 LD460

moby

After seeing all the good reviews in this site, finally i went and bought an lg42ld460 yesterday.. i enquired at 4-5 reputed stores, all of them giving quotes btwn 48k-49k.. finally i got a price quote of 46k from a reputed store at Kochi n them being the only dealer with a set available for taking at the time, i bought the tv paying full.. the dealer who seemed to be a nice person showed me the tv which he told was 'company' packed n not opened at all.. he told he'll get it delivered to my home n wud come next day for wall mounting.. in spite of my repeated asking whether it happened to be a demo piece he answered in the negative n told will replace it if there was any problem..the pack was not opened in the store, my mistake.. today while i was out, the company guys came, installed the tv n left.. once i came back, one of the first things i did was to chek the used hours n was horrified to find it had already clocked 1175 hours..july 2010 mfg date.. the tv is in gud condition though.. there's been definite tampering because the case had extra accessories from some other tv also.. my parents told the panel was kind of dusty too which the installation guys cleaned up before mounting.. i feel terribly cheated n want to know from u guys whether anything can be done now.. i contacted the store n they accept there could have been some problem, but they're telling its not possible for them to replace with a new set for atleast 3 weeks.. n they're telling all sets will have clocked 500 hrs atlst, howevr new.. else they're offering 1.5k cash refund plus 6 months extended warranty.. what shud i do?..1]accept the offer, 2]wait for replacement or 3]lodge complaint with the LG guys?.. n to be honest, the tv is working fine..its this 1175 hrs n trickster dealer thing that's irritating me.. pls pls help me..

Last edited:
Feel really sorry for you..
I havent come across such situation till now.. anyways will enquire and let you know ASAP..
But my personal opinion would be to go for a new one as you are spending almost half a lac.. Not sure what will happen tomo even if we accept the 6 months warranty..
Even if we settle with this same thing that 1175 hrs would be there in mind always..

Hope and wish you get a new one soon..

the store guys just now called me up n hv told they'll replace the set with another one that's clocked 400 hours.. plus 2k refund.. dats 44k.. wud it be ok 2 go with their offer or shud i fight?

I'd say do not compromise and get a brand new tv ... they are trying to bribe you . Stay away from bribe......and get a brand new TV clocked 00.00 hours if not few test hours @ factory....

if the dealer doesn't comply, wat can i do further?.. will lodging a complaint with the lg branch office be of any help?

Yes definitely lodging complaint with LG will help. But don't go directly to LG. Threaten the store that you will take it up with LG, if they don't give you a replacement. They will comply. If they say replacement will take three weeks then accept, but insist on keeping the TV until the replacement comes along. Otherwise ask for your money back and take your business elsewhere.

@moby,
My friend the additional warranty of 6 months being given is been given by dealer so it holds no value as for as LG is concerned.NOBODY not even authorised co person have authority to increase warranty period.
Most of the times the display/demo tvs will not have any problem except maybe some scratches or fine lines on plastic panel.
why is dealer trying to push demo/display unit to you?is the model out of stock or is being phased out?
talk to the dealer and mildly threaten that you would approach consumer forum(well..this works most of the times).

really sad what our country has come down to , conning people at every single instance that there is an opportunity. i too think i had been handed over a display unit for my LCD but no way i could check , the unboxing videos i had seen had the stand separate but my package came with the stand pre-installed , plus a few handshake issues have cropped up.

i say donot compromise on usage at all like others said. LCD/LED/Plasma work smooth till the warranty period then they start crapping and repairs cost a bomb , unless you have an AMC.

the store guys just now called me up n hv told they'll replace the set with another one that's clocked 400 hours.. plus 2k refund.. dats 44k.. wud it be ok 2 go with their offer or shud i fight?

Can you share the dealer's name

what the dealer told me is they're already having some payment issues with LG due to which they've not placed orders for any LG items the past two months.. so wats implied is getting a new set might take very very long, only after such issues are resolved.. nyhow, it seems like the dealer genuinely wants to sort out the issue.. he's in constant touch with me, and is literally pleading me to take the 400 hrs set with 2k refund.. i hinted at going to lg about the matter n den he kind of gave me an offer of 1]42ld650 for 54k or 2]the older lg42L80FR or something for 36k.. i dont want either though, all i want is an LD460 dat has not clocked these many hours..upto 300-400 i'd have let go.. 1175 is too much i think.. again now, wat i'm worried about is as these guys are already al loggerheads with LG wat difference is me complaining to LG directly make?

cant you get them refund the money and buy from some other place?

After reading several horror stories like this in this forum, at the time of purchase i made sure i carried the set myself(after inspecting at the dealer place ofcourse) to not give them the opportunity to do something like this

you shouldnot agree for a used piece fore mere 1k-2k discount

The TV is at least a year old going by the no. of hours at an average viewing of over 3 hours a day. Take it up with LG by e. mail . The dealer is also liable for action in a consumer court.
You clearly have the upper hand. Send a letter to the dealer by registered post tracking the events and mark a copy to LG also by RPAD.

Moby, **do not** settle for 1100+ hours or even 400+ hours set, even if it looks and works fine.

Even if he says it will takes weeks for replacement, ask him for a full refund in the interim period. If he is not willing for a full refund till the new set, at least ask him to refund something like 50% back in good faith till the new set arrives, this way at least he will ensure delivery.

shall i send a mail to the lg customer service?.. will they respond?.. will it be useful?

don't be a fool take refund from dealer and return the tv set or this will go on and on

As far as i know you will never get a refund after you have made your payment anywhere.. Few exceptional cases though.. Here am sure that he will not give you a refund..

Do not settle down for a old one.. Do get a new one.. Better wait...
One more suggestion.. Why dont you look for an other model from other brand like Sony or Samsung from the same shop so that issue can be resolved easily?

Just my thought.. Make up ur mind fast..

Cheers
Nag

Hi

Either ask them to take their display piece back and get your money back first or give you a brand new box piece IMMEDIATELY. If they say 15 days or etc do not accept. Then say I will pay the money also after 15 days. Threaten them with consumer court and bad publicity. I am mallu myself and know our guys attitude. Do not settle for anything less. Because as one of our friends said 1175 hrs is always going to be at the back of your mind.

I do really hope things work out for you.

Vnod

Hey Moby, assuming the 42LG80FR is a new piece, it is a real steal at the offered price of 36k. However, going by your previous experience I think it is probably a used piece. But a good offer if new... it has the 500W inbuilt speaker.
And if you want specific advice on how to initiate legal proceedings then you might want to take advice from Aman (theironhorse). He's been there, done that and made a few companies cry in the process.

shall i send a mail to the lg customer service?.. will they respond?.. will it be useful?

I got a LG -LCD which was DOA. It was replaced in around 9 Days By LG.
The manufacturer is responsible for his dealers delivery.
I am surprised that you still have not sent a mail to the manufacturer.
Selling a used TV is a huge violation which could wreck the Brands value in the market

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back