Choosing between bookshelves and floorstanders - Found the smartest and surest way

srramanujam

Some of us in the forum would have seen this movie Matchpoint, woody allen film. It starts with a tennis match. The return on matchpoint hits the nets, the ball tantalisingly rolls on the net chord, and at an excruciatingly slow pace, falls on the wrong side of the court.

A cruel twist of fate, and there hangs the match. It can be very similar in life. For an agonising year and a half(http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/2705-options-2-channel-system-around-60k-music.html), i have been stuck on the choice of speakers. Inching my budget up, long drives to see speakers, some of which that excite, some that are a let down. Along the way reading up so much in the forum, and learning to separate the well intentioned advice (many and thanks for that) with the well couched salepitch. Gems of experience like at Viren's place and with Rajiv. Getting distracted about Darwin (i still want to have the last word - thevortex).

For a long time, even after choosing what i liked (BE 718), i was simply too preoccupied to get things moving - apart from the fact that the pockets were not heavy enough.

The moment came unexpected and i had to choose the colour of the speaker quickly. I gently convinced my wife that the speakers will stay in the living room and expectantly got her to see the colours of BE 718. And in that moment the ball hit the chord. These look like lampshades she said(apologies to other menfolk on her behalf). I could see the ball inevitably rolling on the wrong side. All the efforts of 18 months seemed to be on the wrong side of the court, till i heard that faint glimmer of hope - these look nice, these darker ones. She was looking at the Mini Dancer 1 and the match was on again.

The ball was in my court and i had only one choice left - Give up the BE 718 and start all over again (or) simply go with the floorstanding versions - Mini Dancers. That was the fastest decision i have made and the rest was a relative breeze.

So, the Mini Dancers are packed and waiting despatch and hopefully in a fortnight i should be free enough to take them home.

Many thanks to Neo, Viren, thevortex, Rajiv, Cranky, Dinyaar, venkatcr, amitnoida, roc, Mr Asit, pratim, Gopi, stevieboy, afj, psychotropic, magma, hifiashok, siddarth for helping me take this journey. I am obliged for their time in the forum, on the calls, and for Viren, thevortex and Rajiv, for the time that i took from them.

Just when i thought the match was over (i dont know who won), i realised its only the first set. The next choice is between the HTPC and the CDP, and i know what i need to do first. Choose the cabinet first ("these look like voltage stabilisers" is the first reaction to silverstone) and then fit whatever i can within it.

And along the way, i have collected a few other points - a collection of CDs that i will be content with, ripped in FLAC in my Cowon, a musical REO and an itch to buy a small speaker for office desk (JBL/CA).

Thanks again and looking forward to speak to you during the second and third set.

Last edited:
Re: Choosing between bookshelves and floorstanders - Found the smartest and surest wa

SRR, Congrats!
And I actually thought as I started reading that this was something about testing the sound of the ball rolling off the net on both the bookshelf and the floorstander to gauge what would be more suitable! Bah, I aint got no imagination!

So what would be the smartest, surest way for those of who are single and footloose?
Titus

Re: Choosing between bookshelves and floorstanders - Found the smartest and surest wa

excellent choice of speakers
i hope to have them one day

enjoy the music

That was worth a good belly laugh, ramanujam. And you are always welcome. Even to have the last word about Darwin. Especially as we know we are not going to convince each other. :)

About the choice of speakers - all of it is fine about convincing the only-person-who-matters, but have you considered the modalities of your listening room/hall with respect to the choice between bookshelf and floorstander? Dont mean to overrule the call as the referee and all but....just my two rupees.

Also what about the amplification? Is that already in place?

Lastly congratulations on making what has been a long pending but nevertheless well considered decision.

SRR, Congrats!
And I actually thought as I started reading that this was something about testing the sound of the ball rolling off the net on both the bookshelf and the floorstander to gauge what would be more suitable! Bah, I aint got no imagination!

So what would be the smartest, surest way for those of who are single and footloose?
Titus

follow the choices made by the smartest of the prisoners on the forum - e.g., srramanujam?

Last edited:

I must say that that was a refreshingly well written post. It also took me a few seconds to see where you were going. I really look forward to Sets 2 and 3. BTW, it is quite possible the umpire may get bribed or even threatened in various ways. So stay is his good books.

Cheers

Hi,

BEFORE I START PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES IF I HAVE ANYONE'S FEELINGS (NO PUN INTENDED)

Now that's taken care,let me say what I have to and run for cover :p !

Why is that one has to suddenly quit all that he loves and become a puppet ?? I mean I don't see a single women stopping to buy he fav pair of sandals or her fav (or not so fav) jewelery !! the list goes on.............

And we the Male kind is expected to quit listening to music,stop all activities related to it just coz She happens to not like it ! or not like the idea of having speakers in the living but much prefers (rather takes self pride) a Painting or some colourful pot or vase !!

Why is this discrimination ??? I've seen it far too many times and happening to far too many people (some of which Am very close) that I just couldn't help myself but to know the reason !

I have had friends quit listening to music just coz his better half hates music (in whatever form it is) and some I've seen buy stuff when she's gone to her parents house ! Some lie bout the price,If they spend 1lac on a speakers they'll say "No Honey its only 10K or so thats all" ! Some women I have faced literally pounce on you if you mention speakers in front of them :eek:!

Why O why :sos:???

Is there a written (or unwritten ) rule which says "OBEY HER ALWAYS" ???

If this the truth then I shall remain Bachelor for Life !! I don't want to give this up ! Not for anyone not for anything :argue:!! I wanted to go on but I guess one gets the idea here,so Am hitting the break and let all the steam within me pass...................

Lastly let me take this opportunity to congratulate our man Ramanujam, For having gone through all of the hurdles and finally reached a safe destination :)!

Regards.

hey! congrats. Lot of people are still stuck, glad to see you move to the next level.

thevortex

The amplification is not in place. Thats the third set, if i am still in the game by then. The HTPC is the second set. I now have the clear hint that i should spend some money on good looking cabinets. Magma has guided me to a 7 inch display. I will speak to you about the components soon.

Does the floorstander suit the room dynamics. I had a brief chat about it. The living room is about 22 X 10. So i can provide a lot of space behind the speakers. Between and side wall space is going to be low and i will need some help there. I have gently started the topic of wall hangings on the side walls. Wife has said paintings are ok, but not wall hangings. I am getting there slowly.

venkatcr

Your PM confirmed subtle concerns that i was carrying about a very emotionally appealing alternative. Thanks for that help.

soundsgreat

This time it was simpler because the Mini Dancers are simply the floorstanding versions of BE 718, which i liked a lot. So atleast the basic sound signature would stay the same.

Why does one(atleast I) take so much pain to listen to the Wife. In my case, she hunted for the house, bought it, furnished it and made sure it has the right looks. So the speakers were actually going to encroach a corner of her heart. The mini dancers were not that much of a compromise (apart from placement and a few other issues).

About your larger question - I guess if she says Yes to your Biggest Question and Hope, you are obliged to sya that back for the rest of life. In my case again, that one Yes from her has been worth all the Yes' from my side.

Hi,

soundsgreat

This time it was simpler because the Mini Dancers are simply the floorstanding versions of BE 718, which i liked a lot. So atleast the basic sound signature would stay the same.

Why does one(atleast I) take so much pain to listen to the Wife. In my case, she hunted for the house, bought it, furnished it and made sure it has the right looks. So the speakers were actually going to encroach a corner of her heart. The mini dancers were not that much of a compromise (apart from placement and a few other issues).

About your larger question - I guess if she says Yes to your Biggest Question and Hope, you are obliged to sya that back for the rest of life. In my case again, that one Yes from her has been worth all the Yes' from my side.

Thanks for putting out your views ! I would comment on what you said,but this is absolute happy moment for you !! I don't want to spoil that steering this thread into snow ball of controversy and such;) !!

So all I say is "May the force be you" :D !!

Regards.

soundsgreat

That was one of the most eloquent responses I have every read to this question. You, sir, look deeper into yourself than most people I know. Congratulations on your purchase as well!

SSR congrats,

I had an oppurtunity to listen to the dancers at Cranky's place and must say that they look beautiful and sound great across the spectrum specially for Rock.

--
helium

Hi Ramanujam,

Congratulations on the decision of the speakers. I also got my Cantons first when I had nothing else, no amp, no source, because I sold off all my stuff in the US before moving to Germany at that time.

However, I am not quite sure why the 2nd and the 3rd sets are of much consequence. Speakers alone will NOT make any sound: that should be clear to the person on the other side of the net. Having the first set on your side was the crucial thing. The 2nd and the 3rd sets are now only corollaries to the results of the first set.

Those speakers are best driven by big powerful amps. No 10 Watt Tube amp, not even a 25 Watt class A SS. I have heard the Mini Dancers at Cranky's place with 3 different amps including my Leben and the Pass Labs F5 construction. These little amps will drive them, but will not maximize their performance I'd think.

In my view once the amp-speaker combo is decided on, one should work on the source. But you may have your reasons to play out the 3rd set before the 2nd. Is there any particular reason for that?

Regards.

An honest answer.

soundsgreat

Mr. Asit,

i am looking to build a htpc. thats the reason for taking up the source now. also with all the attention on speakers, i realised that i havent read much on the amp.

these speakers are on the lower side of sensitivity . i hope to send my next pm and phone requests for help soon on the amp. the htpc config for music seems to be less complex.

The bride came home today. The speakers were delivered to New Bombay by Sridhar to save on octroi. For those fortunately living outside Maharashtra, Octroi is a remnant of medieval times, when the Pharohs were building pyramids. I drove through the hot afternoon to save that octroi. So the next time you come to Bombay and complain about bad roads, blame souls like me who save on that octroi.

The drive itself was a bit odd since i had to cloak the speakers with curtains that were thoughtfully loaned to me. Felt like i was driving a corpse around.

The speakers are still in packed condition since i have nothing else to use them with. The second and third sets are about to start, and i hope to make a good match out of it now.

I felt like thanking all those who walked me through this decision, but realised that they are now banned (temporarily i hope).

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back