Chose: Denon AVR-1713

gsurya

After buying my Sony HX850 first thing I realized that the sound quality was worse than my previous Wega flat 29"! So I thought of buying a Soundbar.

Soundbar
I found the Yamaha YHTS-400 the best one under 50K INR in the Indian market, but it ran out of stock as it is being withdrawn from the Indian market in preparation for introducing a new one. Thankfully so as then I started thinking of buying an HT :)

AVR Choice
But then the requirement of a compact setup still existed, so I thought of buying an AVR together with a good LCR speaker. After some research & auditions, I chose the Denon AVR-1713, now need to do a price check.

My requirements were:

-Internet Radio & good internet integration
- iPod integration
-Will be using for the next few months only in 3.1 configuration at max as I cannot install surround speakers
- Compact speakers a must as my living room is an L-shaped room of just 300 sqft carpet
- 3D support
- Upscaling standard definition to HD
- 70% TV/Movies, 20% music, 10% gaming
- AVR price between 30K to 40K INR, as total HT budget is 1 lakh

Listened to Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha receivers in this range with different combinations of speakers.. Found the Yamaha to be the best sounding for music, Denon next, last Onkyo. With Movies, not much difference between them.

However, NONE of the models in the pricerange had upscaling support, so I dropped this requirement for now :( reluctantly, as I have many many DVDs & movies downloaded in standard definition. I would have also liked my Tata Sky standard channels, Tata Wii output to be upscaled :) does the Denon 2113 do that, anyone know?

Also, I found one unique feature that Denon 1713 had that tipped the scale. It has ability to stream Flickr.. as an amateur photographer that has 40k photos online, this was a must have feature for me.

Hence, compromise choice is for now Denon 1713.. next for the speakers.

LCR Speaker vs Bookshelf
I wanted an LCR speaker, where the Left-Center-Right are housed in the same Center.. but Paradigm Cinema Trio was the only one in our Indian market.. they havent even released the Paradigm Millenia 20 Trio here.. which is supposedly pretty good. Anyone know any other ones?

Strangely, I found a 3.1 setup no better sounding than a 2.0 setup with good bookshelf speakers.. maybe the reason is we were testing too many things together...

So for now I just plan to buy good bookshelf speakers & then add centre & subwoofer later - any comments on this decision?

I have tentatively chosen Paradigm Atom Monitor v7 as my bookshelf speakers to start with.

Quoted prices:
Denon AVR-1713 : 31K
Paradigm Atom Monitor v7: 19K INR

Any suggestions vis-a-vis Denon 2113 and choice of speaker.. options most welcome please!

After buying my Sony HX850 first thing I realized that the sound quality was worse than my previous Wega flat 29"! So I thought of buying a Soundbar.

AVR Choice
But then the requirement of a compact setup still existed, so I thought of buying an AVR together with a good LCR speaker. After some research & auditions, I chose the Denon AVR-1713, now need to do a price check.

Listened to Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha receivers in this range with different combinations of speakers.. Found the Yamaha to be the best sounding for music, Denon next, last Onkyo. With Movies, not much difference between them.

Also, I found one unique feature that Denon 1713 had that tipped the scale. It has ability to stream Flickr.. as an amateur photographer that has 40k photos online, this was a must have feature for me.

Congos on your purchase...please could you tell me how mch you paid for the HX850? And what are your thoughts on the product? Im contemplating this particular model as i heard its the best in business...
Im also going to buy AVR & have a budget similar to you, say about 35k give or take a few thousands...not yet decided on the same. How much did the 1713 cost btw?

thanks...

Sony HX 850 cost me 85k INR, fantastic product, highly recommended.

The Denon AVR 1713 is priced at 32K INR but I havent bought it yet I think I can get it a bit cheaper if I look around.. and now I am tempted to go for the Denon 2113 which has upscaling + 7.1 ch + higher power rating + better Audessey + better audio circuit ... but this is priced at 45k. I will make a decision by tomorrow & then let you know.

upscaling + 7.1 ch will not be great use because, any bluray player, TV , media player will upscale the SD to HD and there is not much Bluray discs which have 7.1 channel.
Instead if you invest that extra money in a better speaker package, it will give you much more better sound quality.
Remember Audessey is just a calibration software, which will help you to set up your system according room acoustics. The speakers do the main job.

@rupam > I am told 2113 will upscale also the Tata Sky standard definition channels.. it will also upscale any USB movies & also the Wii input which is only 480p right now.. this has to be tested or confirmed by someone using it.

My Sony BDP-S490 doesnt read all the formats that the TV can. and does not upscale from the USB connected HDD. Agree, 7.1 ch itself is of no use, its the dual zone that is more interesting.. can put 2 speakers into the bedroom some day as 2nd zone.

I still hvnt decided on the AVR-2113 .. agree AVR-1713 seems the practical choice & being more 'fast moving' discounts are better..

Last edited:
One advice.

If you're planning to get a good AVR and already have a HD 40" screen, please don't under-utilize it by watching SD content. You can always get 720/1080 rips of your movies or directly play the Bluray disc. Tata Sky box can be upgraded to HD. Your Wii can also be upgraded to a better HD console eventually.

IMHO - If you're looking at another/upgraded AVR it should be for other reasons, not upscaling. An AVR lasts you quite long - longer than it'd take you to upgrade your entire setup to HD standards.

@kneo I already hv a Sony HX-850, watching SD content is a shame. Already hv a BluRay player, Tata Sky+.

But, I am surely not going to replace every DVD/download in my collection in Bluray format for very long :) Hence, upscaling is a 'nice to have' feature. You are right that all my 'sources' would be HD in the next couple of yrs, but AVR will last me 5+ years.. thats why I am also looking to future proof myself a bit.

Don't give importance to upscaling. You will be disappointed. The basic rule is 'Garbage in, Garbage out'. SD is already ruined and nothing can convert it to real HD.

As many suggested, video upscalling provided by most of the AV receivers is a load of garbage.

As far as Denon AVR1713 vs AVR1913 vs AVR2113, the power rating difference is only mariginal. So if you are looking strictly from the angle of power, you won't get anything significant from AVR2113. When the power rating difference is marginal (say 10 w or 15 w diff), we shouldn't be misled that AVRs having with better power specs can sound better. So from SQ, all the denon models listed will have same performance. Of course, having a dedicated power amp is a different thing altogether (since the power offered will be significantly higher). For example, suppose if your speaker is producing 86 db sound level, even to increase the loudness by another 3 db will require your AVR to double the power. In this case, the diff in the power of 1713/1913/2113 is very marginal and that marginal power cannot increase the speaker's sound level even by 1%.

The only "future safe thing" that I don't see in AVR1713 is the 4k passthrough.

Thanks to the advice from everyone here, I ordered Denon-1713, cost 32k. Could have found it cheaper somewhere if I had scouted around further, but ran out of time & I wanted to order it with The Shop, Andheri West as the guy had helped me patiently with multiple auditions & good advice.

To go with these, I have ordered QAcoustic 2010i speakers for 15k. Why? I wanted to buy something I could rotate to the surrounds later as my living room will be redone over the next year & then I will buy really good bookshelves or towers for the fronts.

The mids on this speaker are superb & this will be enough for me for video & music for the next few months at least.. but I may add a sub & centre if I feel like it.

Any idea how much does Yamaha 473 costs at The Shop?

Didnt enquire.. talk to Jignesh at 022 2620 4710, 2620 4706

In general, hes probably slightly more expensive than the cheapest u can find any equipment in Mumbai but he was good with service, so far... That was good enough for me.

In general, hes probably slightly more expensive than the cheapest u can find any equipment in Mumbai but he was good with service, so far... That was good enough for me.

neo - please share the price of 473 if you talk.

Thanks in advance

As many suggested, video upscalling provided by most of the AV receivers is a load of garbage.

As far as Denon AVR1713 vs AVR1913 vs AVR2113, the power rating difference is only mariginal. So if you are looking strictly from the angle of power, you won't get anything significant from AVR2113. When the power rating difference is marginal (say 10 w or 15 w diff), we shouldn't be misled that AVRs having with better power specs can sound better. So from SQ, all the denon models listed will have same performance. Of course, having a dedicated power amp is a different thing altogether (since the power offered will be significantly higher). For example, suppose if your speaker is producing 86 db sound level, even to increase the loudness by another 3 db will require your AVR to double the power. In this case, the diff in the power of 1713/1913/2113 is very marginal and that marginal power cannot increase the speaker's sound level even by 1%.

The only "future safe thing" that I don't see in AVR1713 is the 4k passthrough.

My humble doubt...

Apart from the power rating (no difference as such) between the various Denon Models..

Can all the Denon AVR1713 vs AVR1913 vs AVR2113 are enabled with Wifi?

What would be the best combo with Wharfedale speakers?

My living room in 11x16 feet with a 11x8 dining room space attached..

Ash

Just thinking :rolleyes: if someone can start a thread which will give the shop name, address, contact person's name, ph: no. and AVR & speakers brand available here in Mumbai or other in other cities. This will give many people to use that as "YellowPage" of purchasing of home theater in this forum. I think that'll be gr8 help for everybody.

Feedback after a few days of using my Denon-1713 coupled with a pair of QAcoustics 2010i bookshelf speakers:

- Superb sound quality, both music & movies
- FM & Internet Radio is particularly awesome - especially the AAC stations
- Youtube streaming is impressive
- Flickr streaming is rubbish - it skews the photographs.. unfortunately for me this was a key feature I was looking for.
- Easy to control the AVR with my iPhone

Feedback after a few days of using my Denon-1713 coupled with a pair of QAcoustics 2010i bookshelf speakers:

- Superb sound quality, both music & movies
- FM & Internet Radio is particularly awesome - especially the AAC stations
- Youtube streaming is impressive
- Flickr streaming is rubbish - it skews the photographs.. unfortunately for me this was a key feature I was looking for.
- Easy to control the AVR with my iPhone

How do you stream YouTube thru Denon 1713,?? Coz I couldn't find any option in it..there is Flickr, Internet radio but no option for "you tube"..

Thanks to the advice from everyone here, I ordered Denon-1713, cost 32k. Could have found it cheaper somewhere if I had scouted around further, but ran out of time & I wanted to order it with The Shop, Andheri West as the guy had helped me patiently with multiple auditions & good advice.

To go with these, I have ordered QAcoustic 2010i speakers for 15k. Why? I wanted to buy something I could rotate to the surrounds later as my living room will be redone over the next year & then I will buy really good bookshelves or towers for the fronts.

The mids on this speaker are superb & this will be enough for me for video & music for the next few months at least.. but I may add a sub & centre if I feel like it.
Hi Surya,

Is the Denon AVR1713 WiFi enabled? Would you recommend me the same for my living room 11x16 feet with a 11x8 dining room space attached?

Will it be worth to stretch the budget for AVR1913 or AVR2113? Any distinctive advantages?

I am still confused with the speakers I should go for. I dont want to have any tower speakers. Book shelf only...

Please suggest...

Ash

Hi Surya,

Is the Denon AVR1713 WiFi enabled? Would you recommend me the same for my living room 11x16 feet with a 11x8 dining room space attached?

Will it be worth to stretch the budget for AVR1913 or AVR2113? Any distinctive advantages?

I am still confused with the speakers I should go for. I dont want to have any tower speakers. Book shelf only...

Please suggest...

Ash

As far as AVR1713 vs AVR1913 vs AVR2113 is concerned, all these 3 models support Apple Airplay. Though there is no any significant difference between these models in terms of sound quality, AVR1713 supports only 5.1 channels, but the other two support 7.1 channels. Other wise, there is no any major or appealing feature differences betweem them. Of course AVR2113 supports 4k pass through. So if you are not going to upgrade to 7.1, then AVR1713 would be more than enough. As far as the room size is concerned, AVR1713 mated with right speakers will be sufficient enough to power your room. I think some one in the forum will help you in finding the matching bookshelf speakers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back