BOSE
KEF
POLK AUDIO TSi
YAMAHA
WHARFEDALE DIAMONDS BOTH SERIES 9 AND SERIES 10 WITH POLK SUBS
PURE AUCOSTICS
ELAC FS 57 FS 58 AND FS 127
Q AQUOSTICS 2050 series
The experiences were for 5.1 and 2.0 setups with and without subs.
I honestly havent put my collections to test on these and the modules that we heard were custom Dolby or blue ray discs
I did make it a point to hear hotel California, taal songs, parwaaz gazals and night at the museum part 1
Now to the realities
My budget is @1 to 1.5 lacs MAX. For the amp and the 5.1 setup plus cables
The pre bargaining quotes are as follows
I am from Bhubaneswar and now working at Faridabad I was in Bangalore for 8 months and the above auditions were either at New Delhi or Bangalore.
Now I am writing a few things that I came across and my preferences
Kindly guide me through the process of procuring my dream passion
ELAC 127>58>57 FOR MUSIC
ELAC 127 >= 58 > 57 FOR MOVIES both on 606 onkyo
The second impression is on the VFM {value for money} front
The packages were heard on 5.1 and 2.1 and 2.0 setups and they quoted @1.8L for 127 package/@1.1L for 58 package and @85k for 57 package
At normal rooms without aquostic corrections and normal listening and 12 by 14 rooms I feel the value for money factor 58 beats the other 2
For divine music appeal 127 wins hands down recently I got a quote of @1L for 127 elac package and it has changed all equations I am waiting to audition these pretty soon.
The lowest of lows are not transcribed well in any of those and the music experience is damn better on 2.1 than 2.0 on elac series
Kef was out of budget but the most appealing system that I have auditioned both on 2.1 and 2.0 and 5.1 use with q5 fronts
The Polk audio tsi series was good till I had not heard any of the other speakers I have mentioned so have decided not 2 reaudition them with my own media.
The Bose is another system I have sidelined at I feel the price is too much inflated and more for name and storage technology than real wood speakers and quality amps at the prices they quote. And hardly have we used 2 room setup in India so who cares about the 14 room which they deliver. And its a satellite system and not a voluminous speaker package that own can own at a cheaper cost.
Yamaha speakers I forget the models audition 2 sets of 5.1 combos on 5.1, 2.1 and 2.0 setups one was 23k for a pair of fronts and the other 1.25l for a pair
The second one is of reference quality for mids lows and highs and the soundstage it delivers but beyond all possible purses that I have. 23k is not just good enough and I can afford better and the VFM factor is also not that great.

The wharfs these were cool heard both 9.5 and 10.5 with Polk subs and denon `1610 receiver 9.5 at vectors Bangalore and 10.5 at Dannys dwarrka Danny offered the set for@ 86k+36k for speaker package and denon 1910 but 10 series appealed more and may be very close 2 what I am wanting.
Heard both 5.1 and 2.1 and 2.0 it was great for both music and movies but in 2.0 setup for music it lacked pure lows the mids were excellent as were the highs and I can say reference for me as per as my budget. as on that date and 2 discussions and 1 audition before for proper music. I felt 2.1 did more justice than 2.0 with diamond 10 series; I dont recollect most of my 9.5 experience may be becoz it didnt appealed that much.
I did audition the q acoustics 2050 speakers and series with sub on Yamaha receiver 673 most possibly these were great too for movies as most of the speakers are but for music I felt the mids were reference and the bass was exemplerary I didnt feel the sub was necessary when I was hearing a media file than what I felt when I auditioned the wharfs and asked for the sw to be turned on .Though the highs were too crisp and not natural {may be some wrong setup} they sounded me as good as an ahuja .frnds not 2 offend the QA; its my only opinion for the mids and the lows (low to be particular) QA 2050 is close to reference and the pre bargain quotes was 1l inclusive of cables necessary for connection offered denon 1910 for 35k too.

Now today I called up onkyo for some queries and they referred me to a dealer who surprisingly quoted me the 127 based 5.1 setup for 1lakh and a onkyo 608 for 46k I will audition these pretty soon.
Yes I was in love with 127 elacs after I heard them for the first time but had a few issues 1.not reviewed and validated 2.no hifivision/what hifi/avmax laurels 3.heafy load on purse till yesterday(like 1.85l to 1l for the entire package)
Close 2nd is
Wharf dale diamonds based on 10.5 fronts and polk 250 subs for 86k
As is
QA 2050 setup of 5.1 @1l, as I doubt the setup and those highs that I have talked about above.

For amps denon 1910 and onkyo 608 I havent heard a marantz yet and maybe I feel I cant audition amps and dont know how 2 judge them. Denon comes cheaper and has a great VFM; the 608 is high on tech at the price it is offered and future ready with hdmi 1.4 and arc and thx enabled {in that order for me} and the price gap is 10k

All the prices and quotes 1 have written are prebargain and based on the psychology of the sellers I feel I can extract goodies or cash worth 5-10% of the entire purchase value from them.

Dear revered audiophiles please guide me through the project as its as close 2 me as anything can be in electronics my room size is 12 X 14 but it will be ultimately used in a dedicated 14X20 room .
listining break up: 40% music and 60% movies
I dont plan any aquostic enhancements on roofs and walls at the near /far future and this investment will be for a decade to a decade and half.
I have earmarked 1, 20,000 to 1, 50,000 for this project
And can wait for as long as 6-8 months 2 get the best at this budget.

Nb: importing form Dubai Onkyo 608 + 5.1 based on wharf 10.7 for @65-85k is also on my mind but I am worried about warranties coz I have a frnd who can buy it for me and another who can ship it for me at nominal cost and hassles.
Thanks for going thru this
Kindly post suggestions as if u were guiding own self or Ur dearest pal or Ur younger brother.

Thanks
FRIENDSHPBELLS
{Dr Abakash Mohapatra}

hi
am a little confused. do you want to have two separate systems - 1 surround sound and 1 stereo. or do you want just one

you'll get better sound quality by just using one. if youre more into music then a stereo set up is what i recommend. you'll be able to again get better sound quality over a surround sound set up. agreed you wont get sounds from all over the place but it'll still come out of the front 2 speakers. if you can listen to the monitor audio rx6 in a stereo setup to hear what im talking about. if you still insist on a surround sound set up then i would suggest taking a look at the likes of marantz, nads and cambridge for amps. they're good in the sound dept as well. once you settle on these then you can take a look at the speakers

thanks and cheers sirji post ke liye

yes i am looking for just 1 setup
a 5.1 set up
i have auditioned in both 5.1 / 2.1 /2.0 formats
yes amps i have not seen your recomendations but have heard onkyos denons and yamahas

my budget is 1.2lakhs to 1.5lakhs inclusive of a pair of floorstanders and a pair of surrounds, 1 centre and 1 sub
and a 7.1/7.2 amp and cables

will marantz and ca be in my budget for the above specifications

yes the likes of marantz, ca and nad will be within your budget. the nads and ca would cost around 75k. marantz you will get for less (pl dont hold me to the prices through - pl check). once you decide on the amp then we can suggest speakers

MANY of my frnds in other threads have said to chose speakers first as they are a long term commitment and choose av reccivers aftger that as u can change them earlier

watz ur take kindly make me choose speakers

i am for onkyo 608 or denon 1910/2310 and the recciver budget is about 50k or lower never 75 k
suggest me some reccivers in that range of 50k or less

@friendshpbells
I had a Wharfedale/Yamaha home theater setup earlier and now have a 2 channel set up.The sound that I get from my 2 channel setup when I watch movies is enormously better than my earlier home theater set up as the quality of my current speaker/integrated amp is much better.
Get good floorstanding speakers first and match it with a decent integrated amp.
For speakers check out Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand,Proac Studio 140,Spendor SE3,Sonus Faber Domus Concerto,Linn Magik 140's.(NEW/DEMO/USED)
For the integrated amp check out Arcam A28 FMJ/A90 Diva,Cyrus 8 VS2,Rega Maia 3,Musical Fidelity A5,Bryston B-100 SST,Krell S300 i.(NEW/DEMO/USED)
Since with any of the above speakers/amps you would already have overshot your budget you could consider using a Sony DVD for the time being,although you could find an entry level yamaha /marantz DVD for about 10 K.Entry level Chord/QED speaker cables and interconnects would be another 6-7 K.
Would not recommend any of the stuff you have mentioned in your post.
Have passed through similar confusion.Finding your way out of the maze can be a long,costly and torturous affair.
So take your time,audition as much as possible and don't make an impulsive decision.
Find a good pair of speakers and most of your work is done!

ajay bro thanks a dozen
well not enough budget for all the enviables u just listed
i have specifically mentioned my budget and dont want to overshoot.
i just completed my house and have poured close to 40l into it and my marraige that left me poorer by 7l too

cant overshoot more buddy wanna keep it fine and simple for next half a decade go for a whole setup with a budget of 1-1.5l and i am having my penny controller giving me a budget of that 2 me

i know its a different and difficult hobby 2 persue in terms of purse spending.
but i am too poor to consider higher and pricy gadgets now
kindly fix me up in my price tag
thanking yu all in advance

friendshpbells(dr.avkas)

Approximate prices for midrange speakers with some negotiation
DALI IKON/ 65-70K
QUAD22L/ 70-75K
MONITOR AUDIO RS 6 /50-55K
Approximate prices for midrange integrated amps
CYRUS 8 VS 2 / 70-75 K / 75 WPC/8 OHMS
ARCAM A 28 / 70-75 K / 75 WPC/8OHMS
ARCAM A 18 / 50K/ 50WPC/8 OHMS
ROKSAN KANDY MK 3/ 50-60K/ 115 WPC/8OHMS
MARANTZ PM 8001 / 38-40K / 75WPC/8 OHMS
Avoid collecting AVR and 5.1 'furniture'.
Look for demo or lightly used equipment from good brands.
Talk to Denny at Bass & Treble Delhi 9999016124,Gratin at Boomarang Bombay 9820949395 and Prithvi at Absolute Phase Bangalore 080 25327496.
Check out Cambridge Audio at FX E CR Park Delhi. 40507113/14. good value for money.
Best of luck.

MANY of my frnds in other threads have said to chose speakers first as they are a long term commitment and choose av reccivers aftger that as u can change them earlier

watz ur take kindly make me choose speakers

i am for onkyo 608 or denon 1910/2310 and the recciver budget is about 50k or lower never 75 k
suggest me some reccivers in that range of 50k or less

imo its normally better to choose speakers first and then the amp. but since you want pretty much equal music and movies out of it i think its better to choose an amp first that is good for both music and av.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back