Cinema theater dolby movie surround sound system

ISO

After long time I watched movie in Rahul Cinema Pune. Following are my observations compared to my 'Yamaha home theater' setup.

1. Surround back sound is more distinct and loud. My home theater is loud at the front.

2. Dialog volume is loud clear and very transparent.

Do you have same observations?

Any information, what kind of amplifiers, surround sound processors and speakers are used in theater?

If the cinema is equipped with Dolby Atmos, then they are using Dolby's CP-850 cinema processor to decode soundtracks. Amps are probably from Crown or QSC or one of the professional amp manufacturers. Likewise, speakers are likely cinema models with large horns for maximum output and controlled directivity.

You can make your surround-back speakers more distinct and loud by simply raising their level. Dialogue is clear because cinemas tend to be more absorbent than typical homes.

If the cinema is equipped with Dolby Atmos, then they are using Dolby's CP-850 cinema processor to decode soundtracks. Amps are probably from Crown or QSC or one of the professional amp manufacturers. Likewise, speakers are likely cinema models with large horns for maximum output and controlled directivity.

You can make your surround-back speakers more distinct and loud by simply raising their level. Dialogue is clear because cinemas tend to be more absorbent than typical homes.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have raised surround speakers after auto calibration still the problem remains the same.

Personally, I don't go for theatre sound as reference. Sometimes I wonder if the theatre really cares about quality output both on video and audio end. I have seen out of focus projection and mucky sound, both in plenty of recent movies. These are not cheap theatres but in flagship malls touted with 4d and Al kinds of gimmicks. Home theater imo should sound better than any theatre out there. Just my 2 cents.

Personally, I don't go for theatre sound as reference. Sometimes I wonder if the theatre really cares about quality output both on video and audio end. I have seen out of focus projection and mucky sound, both in plenty of recent movies. These are not cheap theatres but in flagship malls touted with 4d and Al kinds of gimmicks. Home theater imo should sound better than any theatre out there. Just my 2 cents.

That was exactly was my impression so far but changed after I watched movie in Rahul Cinema Pune. Especially the dialogues were so transparent with correct dose of high frequency and mid range.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have raised surround speakers after auto calibration still the problem remains the same.
We are not suppose to compare the Commercial Theatre setup with Hometheatre setup.
First question - Did you treated Acoustically your room first? like professional way.
If you are abale to answer then you have the answer !!! IMO

I would agree....

I am Mumbai based and been to a variety of Multiplex cinemas / theatres including the old 2D ones....

Everyone has a different sound setup and type of speakers used....for example...when I saw Fast & Furious 7 on screen vs the BR rip I downloaded, my home (no acoustic treatment etc) sounded miles ahead and better...

Initially you went for the Yamaha AVR as it implied a level of performance and satisfaction......I suggest let not one experience change your opinion...infact if this has impacted you so much....you can try positioning the speakers.....tweaking manually the settings to get the best sound from the speakers.....final resort....try changing or updating the speakers....remember...speakers which can deliver all or most frequencies between 20hz and 20khz are ideal...also their sensitivity levels should be high which ensures instant performance at low volumes....

Try these things and check....don't expect overnight changes...you will need to play with settings and check for at least a week ....

All the best

We cannot compare our HT setup to professional theater setup.many things decide the output in theater like Acoustics,High end quality equipment and the most important is Source.In theaters we are watching uncompressed quality movies.If you have high end equipment and professional room acoustics then you can get near theater experience.

After long time I watched movie in Rahul Cinema Pune. Following are my observations compared to my 'Yamaha home theater' setup.

1. Surround back sound is more distinct and loud. My home theater is loud at the front.

Recently watched two different movies , in the same screen (Atmos)..Had two different experience in two different seating positions..

On one occasion, i found the surround back to be very active, sometimes overpowering the surrounds when i was near the first row in the theater (Near projector).. Surround back was slightly behind my seat above my head..

The second occasion, i chose to sit somewhere in the middle (Away from surr back to feel the difference), i found the atmos channels more active..

Am only to assume that the theater was incorrectly calibrated (or) studio mix would have been like that..

One of the reasons i believe is that theaters use active speakers for the fronts along with acoustics, which effectively helps with clear dialogues..

Any information, what kind of amplifiers, surround sound processors and speakers are used in theater?

No idea there, but have heard some use JBL speakers..

We cannot compare our HT setup to professional theater setup.many things decide the output in theater like Acoustics,High end quality equipment and the most important is Source.In theaters we are watching uncompressed quality movies.If you have high end equipment and professional room acoustics then you can get near theater experience.

Very True

I'm not expecting theater like performance at my home. Naturally there is huge acoustic difference. But was surprised why surround back volume was louder?

May be they are using separate amplifiers for each channel.

Recently watched two different movies , in the same screen (Atmos)..Had two different experience in two different seating positions..

On one occasion, i found the surround back to be very active, sometimes overpowering the surrounds when i was near the first row in the theater (Near projector).. Surround back was slightly behind my seat above my head..

The second occasion, i chose to sit somewhere in the middle (Away from surr back to feel the difference), i found the atmos channels more active..

Am only to assume that the theater was incorrectly calibrated (or) studio mix would have been like that..

One of the reasons i believe is that theaters use active speakers for the fronts along with acoustics, which effectively helps with clear dialogues..

No idea there, but have heard some use JBL speakers..
Spot on observations. Thank You.

Klipsch and AVR model number would help fellow FM to help your concern.
Possible share your room size as well

Theaters these days have discrete sound tracks which eliminates encoding-decoding process.
One system can be based on Dolby CP850 as mentioned in post # 2 by SDurani
Cinema theaters in Kolhapur, Maharashtra typically use a Cinema server, which stores and runs the movie and trailors, like Doremi DCP2000, outputs balanced digital tracks. It is capable of 5.1CH or 7.1CH which is configured during installation. Each balanced signal carries two tracks. The digital signals are routed to a DAC like the AUD-D2A using a 25-pin D-Sub connector cable assembly. The output of this is analog tracks. The analog tracks are routed to Dolby Processor. The Dolby processor can be anything from CP65 to CP850 depending on whether the theater is using the film-days processor or not. The job of this processor is to do B-Chain alignment. In other words, post processing of individual tracks. The post processing involves ssetting the gain, EQ, phase and delay of each channel individually.

1. Each listening area will have a sound signature based on room size and acoustics, based on which your experience will vary. I suggest that you set your to what you feel comfortable and not go by any references as there may be none.
2. Like SDurani mentioned, theaters tend to have better acoustics. This enhances the amount of details in bass, mid-range and treble region.

QSC, Crown are popular brands in theater. In India, JBL and Pulz are also used. In Speaker system brands JBL is popular. But other brands like Altec (not sure if the company is still alive), Martin Audio and even some Spanish and Brazilian brands are used.

Strange no one recommended a THX (Select / Ultra / Ultra 2+) based setup.
Bring the Cinema Theatre home is what a THX based setup is supposed to do.
A THX certified setup intends the sound that you hear in your home is exactly as the audio engineer intended while he was recording and mixing it.
Most of all have a room with the right damping is necessary. A movie theatre is not a dead room per se. Some reverb is maintained in movie theatres & are very necessary to convey the soundstage intended. If one can replicate a similar acoustic properties at home along with the required hardware , then you'll have sound rivaling the best of the movie theaters.
THX certified professional installers for Home are supposed to do the same. They are fully equipped to do Sound & video calibration as per THX guidelines.

And using Cinema speakers at home is a different ballgame all together.;) My jaw drops everytime I come across one in AvsF****s:eek:

I have previously owned home cinema system with yamaha amplfier,polk audio speakers and expensive sunfire subwoofers.But these are no match for commercial cinema experience.Now am building my home theater with complete commercial cinema equipments.No home audio can match a commercial cinema setup unless u have a 10 million dollar home audio set up.If u really want a commercial cinema experience at home go for commercial cinema equipment.

I have previously owned home cinema system with yamaha amplfier,polk audio speakers and expensive sunfire subwoofers.But these are no match for commercial cinema experience.Now am building my home theater with complete commercial cinema equipments.No home audio can match a commercial cinema setup unless u have a 10 million dollar home audio set up.If u really want a commercial cinema experience at home go for commercial cinema equipment.

What it is? Pl elaborate.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back