• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Class D amp

Marantz offers at HiFiMART.com

jai1611

Looking for a cheap class D amp with the tpa3118/3116 or 3251/3255 chips. Must come with a power supply. Preferably in Bangalore

I haven't heard these amps. Used to be a fan of the old tripath chips so keen to try these out

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

jls001

Why not go with the best Texas Instruments chip TPA3255?

https://store.ti.com/Basket.aspx

You'll need:
1/ about 600W SMPS, the best one you can get, say within a budget of about $100.
2/ a cabinet large enough for the TPA3255 board and the SMPS.
3/ drill and install connectors -- a pair of RCAs for audio input, two pairs of binding posts, one IEC socket on the rear of the cabinet.

I think most of the connections can be achieved with clips or spades on the TPA3255 board, IEC and SMPS, while soldering will be required on RCAs and binding posts.

Lots of build info here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/287470-tpa3255-diy-discussion-design-etc.html

jai1611

@prabhu_som will message you in case something doesnt turn up locally

@jls001 would rather try something low effort to figure out if I like the sound. Will consider the higher power board only if thats the case. Am also leery of DIY given my absolutely terrible track record of actually finishing DIY projects lately.

jls001

@jls001 would rather try something low effort to figure out if I like the sound. Will consider the higher power board only if thats the case. Am also leery of DIY given my absolutely terrible track record of actually finishing DIY projects lately.[/QUOTE]

Another device you could consider is Direct Digital Amplifier from China.

There are quite a few good ones. Totally ready made, no fiddling, etc. They even come with tone controls and in built DACs. I'll post some options for your consideration.

Edit:
Read up about D Sound D310, Alientek D8, FX Audio D802, QLS Hifi QA690 (pricey), I.AM.D V200.

Last edited:

jai1611

I do have a direct digital amp (smsl Q5 pro)
Haven't tried with these speakers but with the GR Research ones, didn't work as well as a regular source plus amp. My guess would be the digital conversion isn't as good as the amp

Kannan

Since you are in Bangalore, try the Allo amps. TPA3118D2 based amps. They are located in Bangalore, probably you can get an audition. It is priced around 3.5k with resistor based stepped attenuator

jai1611

Since you are in Bangalore, try the Allo amps. TPA3118D2 based amps. They are located in Bangalore, probably you can get an audition. It is priced around 3.5k with resistor based stepped attenuator

Thanks. Any idea if they have a store locally? Their own site charges international shipping for India! Diyaudiocart has a few things in stock but can't find any other source

Kannan

Contact the Bangalore number on the website and find

They have online chat facility

Though diyaudiocart is an.online dealer, I have received shipment only from Bangalore.

VSTEREO

Thanks. Any idea if they have a store locally? Their own site charges international shipping for India! Diyaudiocart has a few things in stock but can't find any other source
Diyaudiocart stocks all Allo products. You shall also try Fab-to-lab.com which is also a Bangalore based company.

rikhav

Absolutely off topic & sorry for that
But were you able to listen or at least see their new dac board called the katana?

jai1611

Absolutely off topic & sorry for that
But were you able to listen or at least see their new dac board called the katana?
Nope. They don't have a demo room. One of their online dealers has a local outlet. Mainly deal in electronic kits so no real demo possible

jai1611

Have been trying out the Allo audio DAC last couple of days.
Unfortunately it’s a little too low power to work well with the golden ears. Sounds strained, even with a preamp before it. Plus the tonality seemed a bit off, which may just be another manifestation of the lack of power ( the speakers go down below 4 ohms in the treble)
I’ve also tried it with my GR Research speakers. With those, it does quite well. A neutral sound with decent separation. Tonality was good. There is a problem with gain though. Using as an integrated, with no pre amp in front, I have to keep the volume knob near the 1 o clock at normal listening levels. This is using a DAC with a normal 2v output. May be even more of an issue if using a phone.

A few comments on the build etc. it’s generally well put together. The volume control is quite nice (I got the stepped attentiator version), particularly given the price point. The only issue was that the RCA inputs are colour coded wrongly. Easy enough to notice and change while plugging in the cable

I’m curious to try out the higher power version to see if that does a better job with the larger speakers or if the tonality is just a mismatch issue

Kannan

I have a varied experience with the Allo Volt+ amp.
I use three of these boards in my car audio setup which is fully active to power midbass, midrange and tweeters. They sound absolutely brilliant.
Ofcourse they are driven by my Eclipse Head unit which puts out more than 4 volts at normal listening levels and upto 8 volts peak. The Allo's here are essentially used as a power amp.

I purchased the stepped attenuated version to try in my home audio. It is fed by my Teac DAC that puts out 2 volts. The Teac also has an excellent pre.
Here too I like running it as a power amp after gain matching with the Teac instead of setting Teac to fixed output and using the Allo as integrated.

M

mpw

Jai

Why try the allo with the golden ears. ?

Am trying to understand the thought process

Regards

jai1611

@Kannan will try it with a preamp in front and see how it goes with the GR Research

@mpw wanted to try class d with them. This was the most convenient way to do it

Kannan

the ALLo is rated at around 30 watt at 4 ohms nominal. It will drop down to around 20 with 8 ohm drivers.
My DAC puts out 2 volts and the bookshelf is 4 ohm with around 90db sensitivity (actual will be around 87.5 at 1W/1m).
My listening distance is around 6 feet and the room size 10x10.
I get reasonably good dynamics at 11 to 12 o clock position using it an integrated