Class D especially hypex based amps

spaace

Hi,

Im considering upgrading my amp and was thinking up a class D based on hypex modules

I would like to compare it with a class A/AB if possible

Has anyone heard any hypex based amps or build them using the kits here ? Are they available in India ?

Would like to hear some reviews if anyone has heard them or know about the hypex modules intimately from known sources

Thanks
Arun

I have heard good things about the hypex base amps. My friend who is into car audio installation and tuning has used these amps in car and says they are very good. I am yet to hear one though

There are many brands which are using Hypex modules for their Power amp- Bel Canto, NAD, Hattor Audio, Mola Mola, Musical fidelity etc...
There are DIY based services available too. If you can remove your Bias towrds Pro-components, go for CROWN XLS Drive Core series.
I am using one and very much happy with it. It has a chip developed by Harman and only used in Drive core series. Vocals and Mid range is to die for(one of speaker cable is expensive than this amp).
If you can come to Pune, do visit and have a first hand experience of this amp. i am sure next day you will place the order, if you are lover of mid range , vocals and dynamics.

Thanks Dheeraj. Next time i travel to Pune maybe i shall take you up on the offer.
I wish there were audio shops, to audition all these different gear combinations.

In this case at-least a good class A, class AB, class D together to make up ones mind.

Rgds
Arun

I don't know about hypex specifically but I have a nuprime St10 which is a class D. To my ears it is a superb amp. I would not hesitate in comparing it to $5000 amps. , class A, AB etc. I know there is a nuprime dealer in India, but not sure who it is. Google it, and see if you can audition it.
Cheers,
Sid

George have you been able to run any comparisons ...what did you compare it against ?

May i also know the amp model if you do no mind please ?

Also consider the Texas Instruments TPA3255 evaluation board which can be purchased directly from TI. It's got lots of power and has garnered lots of positive interests from the DIY community worldwide.

I had the Bel Canto in my system for a short period of time. Class D is great for subs but for amps the first choice is Class A followed by Class A/B. With Class D the sound is more clinical and lacks the richness especially the upper end,

I had the Bel Canto in my system for a short period of time. Class D is great for subs but for amps the first choice is Class A followed by Class A/B. With Class D the sound is more clinical and lacks the richness especially the upper end,
I had the belcanto s300 7-8 years ago which exhibited the above behaviour. Since then these amps. have come a long way. The current crop do not sound anything like the older ones to my ears. They can easily compete with class a/b and even class A imo.
Cheers,
Sid

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back