Class D Hi-Fi grade Audio Amplifiers

aarmath

Hello fellow members!

Wanted to check if any folks out there are using new generation Class D stereo amps?
By new generation I am referring to amps built around Hi-Fi grade modules like Hypex Ncore, ICEPower etc.
Any information on such kind of Hi-Fi modules employed by commercial manufacturers would be much appreciated.

Also since Hypex, ICEPower, NewClassD among others are enthusiastic about selling discrete parts & kits to Do-It-Yourself enthusiasts who would like to build their own amps, if further light can be shed on availability of such kits in India, would be really helpful?

India is a hot & tropically moist country. Class D seems a blessing for us folks given the intrinsic efficient nature of Class D operation. Would moisture be a killjoy?
I am asking because Class D amps by their very nature have a compact form factor.

Last but the mist important of all - Do loudspeakers, and I mean commercially available ones, react differently to Class D amps?
Is there such a thing called as Class D-friendly speakers?
Are special speaker wires required (to filter out EMI radition)?

Thanks for taking time out in advance.

My amps are class D too. I think you need to pair them with high sensitivity speakers.

My amps are class D too. I think you need to pair them with high sensitivity speakers.
Nice! What make is the amp?
Also would love to know which speakers are you using.

Thanks mate!

Check out Orchard Audio's GaN-based class D amps.
I did mate. Although I have been reading up on GaN-based Class D amps, interestingly the purveyors of GaN-based Class D modules themselves have not gone out claiming superior performance. Although In theory they do.
Or maybe GaN-based amps at this point in time are astronomically expensive. :)

But yeah, interesting to watch out for this new material substrate.

Nice! What make is the amp?
Also would love to know which speakers are you using.

Thanks mate!
Amp is Red Wine Audio , Signature 30.2. The speakers are Omega SuperHemp Alnico 8. The earlier speakers were Audire Callistos.
The combination was suggested by Mr Vinnie Rossi of Red Wine Audio. Red Wine Audio is now https://www.vinnierossi.com/ and the products have gone super expensive and perhaps into another league sonically.

I have recently moved to Class D amplifiers.
Flying Mole class D monoblocks and Crown Xls 2502. Class D has lots of benefits especially in terms of size, heat generation and power usage. They're quite clinical in their signatures making the dependence on Source and upstream electronics a lot important.

In general if you add a tube preamp or truely analog preamp you will not miss the Class AB amplification much. They tend to sound dry or less musical (whatever the definition is) than AB topology. They benefit greatly from good quality Power (cables, conditioner etc). Leaning towards the neutral side, They're not very picky about other electronics and mostly match with rest of the gear.

Lyngdorf, Rogue audio and Primare use Class D amplification in their lineup. Quite expensive amplifier can be class D, it all depends on implementation and fine quality tuning in my opinion.

Check Pascal Audio too (Danish company). They seem to have a wide range of products/modules/kits.
Parasound released a new IA with this company's power amp module.
Cheers,
Raghu

There is a company called as Nord acoustics in the UK. They have been designing their amps around class D hypex And Ncore modules. They seem to have nailed the power supply + op amp + hypex module synergy. I've only ever heard great things about them. I've read quiet a few folks using class D devialets have also switched boats. And they are very reasonably priced too. However our indian customs might play spoil sport when importing. Another class D amp makes getting great reviews are from Gato and primare. The Gato especially is supposed to have a liquid sound. I know one guy who sold his musical fidelity 35 amsi class A amp,.And went Gato with his harbeth 40.1 speakers and is very pleased with the results.

Seriously did any one even think class D would best class A Even 5 years back . But class D has marched on I guess, and certainly looks the future.

Is there a good power class D amp + great DAC + preamp model (all 3 in one) that is in budget range? -- I know that is like searching a unicorn but do let me know if anyone has any clue if this h/w exists.

Is there a good power class D amp + great DAC + preamp model (all 3 in one) that is in budget range? -- I know that is like searching a unicorn but do let me know if anyone has any clue if this h/w exists.
Parasound NC200INT.
Don't know about the power amp section, but DAC + preamp is good.
I own the NC200PRE; this is the model without the power amp.
Function/feature wise it is a very good product; reasonably priced too.
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks Raghu for quick reply. Do u know any dealer who sells the same in bangalore?
I think there is only one dealer in Bangalore. Pilakal Home AV.
They don't stock "budget" NC line. Only "premium" Halo products.
Even if they are able to procure it, the markup of 60% over US MRP is very high, I feel.
This model is very new, announced earlier this year and launched only a month ago, I think.
There are no reviews yet of the NC200INT; you may have to wait a bit to read a professional review.
I procured my Parasound units from the US; buddies visiting carried it here
Cheers,
Raghu

They are nice but are demanding a kidney and some other items from body for the payment :)

Peachtree products are not as cheap as marantz entry level but they are not so expensive also that you will need to sell multiple body parts.

Always look our for something used if you can't afford new. That way you also get it a good price and the other gentleman gets incentive to buy new which will also ultimately come in the used market

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back