Class D question for AVR experts

square_wave

Most entry to mid level av receivers seems to struggle with adequate power delivery across all channels. Sound quality is also just ok. Since good class D designs these days sound almost as good as high end class A/B ( many 2 channel purists agree ), why aren’t manufacturers not exploring this route? The issues with power supply size, weight, price etc can be easily solved with Class D. Or is good class D designs more expensive than class A/B implemented in entry to mid level avrs ? I hardly see any class D avrs.

This is my outsider opinion, I am no expert in anything :)

The focus in AVR segment is Audio & Video processing.
The big 5 are spending a lot of their resources in packing the latest/greatest tech into AVRs.
As far as power section is concerned, most of the HT market really doesn't care.
So mass market companies will stick to what they know (in house developed) and what sells.
The big 5 have, in total, 120+ years in class AB designs.
They probably believe that their cookie cut designs have at least 5-10 years more to live.

In the recent past, I think only NAD has done a completely flip.
All of their new designs are completely Class D.

Also good Class D tech may have steep tech licensing costs involved.
AVR makers are already paying a boatload of royalties towards audio/video technology.
I think it would be difficult to maintain the price point and unwise to support 2 lines of products.

So there goes me with my "market strategy hat"; Makes any sense .... :p

Cheers,
Raghu

This is my outsider opinion, I am no expert in anything :)

The focus in AVR segment is Audio & Video processing.
The big 5 are spending a lot of their resources in packing the latest/greatest tech into AVRs.
As far as power section is concerned, most of the HT market really doesn't care.
So mass market companies will stick to what they know (in house developed) and what sells.
The big 5 have, in total, 120+ years in class AB designs.
They probably believe that their cookie cut designs have at least 5-10 years more to live.

In the recent past, I think only NAD has done a completely flip.
All of their new designs are completely Class D.

Also good Class D tech may have steep tech licensing costs involved.
AVR makers are already paying a boatload of royalties towards audio/video technology.
I think it would be difficult to maintain the price point and unwise to support 2 lines of products.

So there goes me with my "market strategy hat"; Makes any sense .... :p

Cheers,
Raghu

Yep. I guess that makes sense. An affordable AV processor/ preamp from outlaw or emotiva and a multichannel channel class D amp from elsewhere ( china ? ) will probably run circles around these mid level all in one avrs!

AV pre-processor is a very niche segment. It is difficult for companies to compete with the big 5.
In terms of multichannel amps, Outlaw and Emotiva are the favorites in the US market.
Very decent offerings from both companies at attractive price points.

Apart from the above two, one can consider Parasound ZoneMaster series too.
Class D amps that are user configurable as per requirements. Really neat stuff in terms of flexibility.
I think some of ZoneMaster series uses Class D tech from ETAL Group (Anaview)
The NC 200INT (new offering in the Integrated amp segment) uses Class D tech from Pascal Audio.
I personally would love to hear out these Class D products from Parasound.

Cheers,
Raghu

Most entry to mid level av receivers seems to struggle with adequate power delivery across all channels. Sound quality is also just ok. Since good class D designs these days sound almost as good as high end class A/B ( many 2 channel purists agree ), why aren’t manufacturers not exploring this route? The issues with power supply size, weight, price etc can be easily solved with Class D. Or is good class D designs more expensive than class A/B implemented in entry to mid level avrs ? I hardly see any class D avrs.
In my view, this is driven by economics at this time. BTW, Class D also requires power modules, DACs as such. Since the supply chains are geared towards mass market v cheap parts, it’s hard to switch design changes internally and maintain the production costs.

Integrated and power amps are embracing Class D, mostly ICE power modules. And manufacturers are also squeezing max profits initially before they become mass market.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back