Classifieds Sellers/Collectors Online for vintage stuff - Reviews

greenhorn

There are a bunch of regular /Collectors sellers who sell a lot of vintage stuff on OLX etc, and I'm sure a lot of folks here have bought from them - Please do share your reviews (both good, bad, and mixed) so that if one of us is contemplating buying from them, we know what to watch out for

My Buying experiences so far

FM Nakamichi - Mixed bag - Bought a Sony tape deck from him - it was pristine and shipped well. Bought a pioneer amp that turned out to be having a lot of non original parts - Pots, wiring, knobs etc, which he said had to be done. Amp works, but could have been disclosed better

Chennai musical antiques - was offered a technics DD tt at a nice price. couldnt afford it then. he has a nice collection of cheap vintage tt's. Bought a pair of sony bookshelves - while he had mentioned the woofers were replaced with hi q drivers, testing on his lo fi setup did not reveal some major issues in them. Thankfully new hiq drivers are easy to get hold of.

'Sarathy' on chennai olx - went to check out a tt he had + some cassettes. asked too much for the cassettes, and 100 for each cassette. Said thanks, no thanks and came back.

I see a lot of other sellers advertising on olx - in chennai, there are 'srikant', 'thabu', 'bruceley stephen', kamalakannan, plus two more dudes, one at tambaram east, and another one near vilupuram.

Any experience with these guys or the ones in your cities?

Thanks for the Post.Let me Add my experience as well,Though I stopped buying things almost 2 Years before.

1.Sarathy- Guindy-Chennai-Mostly he get Average and Below stuff and Prices are High
2.Rajendran- Madiwala-Bangalore- Same as Sarathy on product condition, But his pricing are nominal.
3.Sunil-Lingarajapuram-Bangalore- He had Many stuff ,Good, Average and Bad as well, overpriced.
4.Mani-HSR layout- Bangalore- he had good-average stuff and prices are nominal as well.
5.Murugan- Domlur-Bangalore- He had Average and Below average Stuffs and Price are Ok Ok type.
6.Rajesh- Ramamoorthy Nagar- Bangalore- He had good-average- and below average and Prices are Hight as wall.
7.Khan (Forgot the prefix)-CoxTown- Ha had Good stuff only and Prices are Nominal- He is not active for long time I think.
8.Raghu- Erode- He has good and Average, Again overpriced.

I have A Doubt on the Few sellers\Dealers who could lay hands into Top class Vintage item, But not sure how they could source such stuffs, The systems are surely overpriced but any Idea how they could get the best stuffs:-(

1.Kiran from Mumbai
2.Srikanth from Chennai
3.Puru from Jaipur

to add
Mayersounds on chennai olx seems to be the same league as srikant. has good, newer and some exotic stuff, but again prices on the very high side
another dude from chengalpet - VG has some reasonably priced stuff but in need of restoration. Would have bought from this guy if he wasn't so far away

Kiran mumbai is from mira road right ?

Yes Sir, Mira Road, Really I cant Imagine how he is managing to get those stuffs :-(

Still I can see an Amplifier is on sale for Years now :), Due to over priced.

I have A Doubt on the Few sellers\Dealers who could lay hands into Top class Vintage item, But not sure how they could source such stuffs, The systems are surely overpriced but any Idea how they could get the best stuffs:-(

your doubts as to how these guys get stuff in good condition - It's not too hard to refurb them - Doing a PSU recap, spraying some contact cleaner and cleaning up the the front panel and switches will make any crappy looking amp from the lower end sellers look very sparkly (link) , but there are some things you can still miss

For example srikant has a KA 3500 for sale right now, which i was thinking of buying to match my KT 3300. Then I noticed that the knob is wrong - I had made this mistake while buying my pioneer amp - I guess it was missing and he replaced it with something from somewhere else, but sadly would not match with my current tuner. That should give an idea of how they work

your doubts as to how these guys get stuff in good condition - It's not too hard to refurb them - Doing a PSU recap, spraying some contact cleaner and cleaning up the the front panel and switches will make any crappy looking amp from the lower end sellers look very sparkly (link) , but there are some things you can still miss

Pics are missing in that thread... would be awesome if fixed.

Yes Sir, Mira Road, Really I cant Imagine how he is managing to get those stuffs :-(

Still I can see an Amplifier is on sale for Years now :), Due to over priced.

I have heard these guys has some contacts in customs or they participate in custom's auctions to get electronic stuff. :cool: (not sure if it true).

Maybe they have people who carry equipment for them from dubai or the south east. Not sure though, only a guess.

They definitely buy here from users in India aswell, straight off from olx and quikr. This bit i have experienced personally when i went to see some equipment and they were in queue:)

I have heard these guys has some contacts in customs or they participate in custom's auctions to get electronic stuff. :cool: (not sure if it true).

;) I have same thoughts, But Worried about the People who actually purchase them:indifferent14:.

The Srikanth from chennai have a Luxman Amplifier:licklips: , Its Too heavy so cant suspect that it came from Customs.

But its always 50/50 when it comes to Vintage stuff and you luck need to work out.

If you can get stuff from abroad, nothing like it.
You can get semi functioning vintage stuff for dirt cheap because service is expensive there. I bought a sansui SR 222 and a pair of B&W towers for 35 Pounds!!!!!
And the stuff there is relatively less used and in better shape.
Most of the stuff you see here has been heavily used, serviced at least 3-5 times, with jugaads from a lot of those service people (like using WD 40 on switches, bypassing components etc)

The indian stuff will have almost certainly some dead switches and pots, plus rust and corrosion all over - After you pay a premium over ebay.com prices which are high in the first place compared the olx/ gumtree or local market rates.

Getting stuff is not hard.

I know a guy dealing in the latest electronic gadgets. Anything that gets released there will be available via him locally in days, sometimes less than 2 days. Of course the caveat is price = no bar. He sells only to exclusive "clients" or affluent folks whose kids want the latest Playstation or Xbox or the latest MBP, often the very next day or two it releases abroad.

I suppose some folks are willing to pay premium rather than put up with nagging/crying kids at home.

I'm sure if price was no bar one could tap into folks like him. The good thing is the stuff is also genuine and he takes care if anything breaks down within a period of 30 days. Post that though you are on your own or he'll help with repair/replacement, but again for a price.

Vintage though not too sure... I'm not everyone has the chops to recognize vintage gold that others would pass on as trash.

Importing Used Electronics is Banned In India So said anything noticed would be sent to auction may be without notifying the Buyer.

Also I heard , we need to pay penalty+Customs for clearing the package. Its all about one question "You know so someone you know, could influence the Customs officer" or its Your Luck

Yes, Absolutely , Used Electronics are Ban in India, Until you bring it while you return from Foreign countries for your Personal Use.

Any used Electronics \Speakers cannot be shipped ,In case Customs find them, You need to penalty by convincing the Customs or they would send it for auction \so dealers (Might Be)

Yes, Absolutely , Used Electronics are Ban in India, Until you bring it while you return from Foreign countries for your Personal Use.

Any used Electronics \Speakers cannot be shipped ,In case Customs find them, You need to penalty by convincing the Customs or they would send it for auction \so dealers (Might Be)

Thats unfortunately true for law abiding citizens only.
You'll find hundreds of used imported electronics in olx.in etc.
Most of the sellers are connected across the cities of India, I know a couple of them in Hyderabad, they buy it from eBay UK and Germany get it via the sea route ; if you check port cities you'll find most of them

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back