Cleaning your anti static brush

Sushant Sharma

Hi Gang,
Just wanted to share this. It took a coloured vinyl for me to realize that my anti static audioquest cleaning brush is leaving fine traces of its own hair on the vinyl and not just a wee bit but quite a lot. Not possible to notice this on black vinyl and in my case, there were very miniscule ticks and pops during playback. My brush is about 2 years old. So I YouTubed and found only make up videos on restoration of make up brushes. Dipped it in hot water for a few seconds and cleaned it and the bristles/brush hair look better and tauter and I think some the finer lose hair came out. Noticed some other anti static brush paraphernalia on the internet which said cleaning in hot water is the way to go so I think it's safe to do so. Time to inspect your record cleaning brushes as they could be doing some harm if they are old.

Very good suggestion sir. When I tried with the brush that I have of Thorens make, the bristles became distorted though cleaned in plain water not warm water.

Very good suggestion sir. When I tried with the brush that I have of Thorens make, the bristles became distorted though cleaned in plain water not warm water.
oh really. sorry to hear that.mine dunked in hot water for a few seconds came out alright. I kept caressing them I shape when drying them. Also my brush is old and on its last legs so I thought it's worth the try. Also rajis141,You did not try this in the 20 mins since I posted this, did you? just so i don't carry the guilt. Based on your experience, I'd say to the others, Proceed with CAUTION.

Last edited:
oh really. sorry to hear that.mine dunked in hot water for a few seconds came out alright. I kept caressing them I shape when drying them. Also my brush is old and on its last legs so I thought it's worth the try. Also rajis141,You did not try this in the 20 mins since I posted this, did you? just so i don't carry the guilt. Based on your experience, I'd say to the others, Proceed with CAUTION.
No I am into listening to LP records for last 35 years sir!!!

The procedure that i follow now is to rotate the carbon fibre brush so that the plastic handle gently rubs the tip of the fibres. Another technique i use is to rub the bristles against the edge of an open plastic box/container to dislodge the dust on the fibres.

Dears
If it is original carbon fibre brush,there is no reason to decay the brush hairs. Carbon fibres DO NOT decay into fragments with weathering. Sushant ,you will have to check and get a proper Carbon fibre brush...As they dont even decay under immense load. So leaving tiny fragments during cleaning vinyls is out of question.
Once you heat them they may lose their orientation permanently and will work no more as a vinyl cleaning brush...
Usually a real antistatic brush would practically leave down all the dust as it is grounded to some source.

Dears
If it is original carbon fibre brush,there is no reason to decay the brush hairs. Carbon fibres DO NOT decay into fragments with weathering. Sushant ,you will have to check and get a proper Carbon fibre brush...As they dont even decay under immense load. So leaving tiny fragments during cleaning vinyls is out of question.
Once you heat them they may lose their orientation permanently and will work no more as a vinyl cleaning brush...
Usually a real antistatic brush would practically leave down all the dust as it is grounded to some source.
I agree with your insight. But mine is a standard Audioquest vinyl cleaning brush. Maybe i jumped into conclusions when I saw fine black hair like remnants being left on the coloured vinyl. Though upon closer inspection I see none of them on the brush. You are also right that the orientation of the brush is slightly different after being washed with warm water but no damage has been done. I however saw anti static brushes listed on Amazon for cleaning PCB boards and it is recommended to wash them in warm water to have them perk up again. anyways, I feel like a bit of an idiot for starting this thread now. hahaa. But I hope anyone reading this thread scrolls through the comments and doesn't willy nilly take any unwanted action for their vinyl cleaning brush. Thanks

Last edited:
I agree with your insight. But mine is a standard Audioquest vinyl cleaning brush. Maybe i jumped into conclusions when I saw fine black hair like remnants being left on the coloured vinyl. Though upon closer inspection I see none of them on the brush. You are also right that the orientation of the brush is slightly different after being washed with warm water but no damage has been done. I feel like a bit of an idiot for starting this thread now. hahaa. But I hope anyone reading this thread scrolls through the comments and doesn't willy nilly take any unwanted action for their vinyl cleaning brush. Thanks
I am working into C fibres since last 20 yrs.....
They are extremely loyal. Yes..Only thing you need to do is change your brush now.

I however saw anti static brushes listed on Amazon for cleaning PCB boards I think they are for and it is recommended to wash them in warm water to have them perk up again. Do you think they are saying that wrong? I am only asking since you have more knowledge on the topic.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back