Clicks and pops from USB DAC

amit11

Hi Friends,

Today for the first time I tried my Schiit Modi Multibit DAC with USB. For that I connected my android mobile via OTG cable. It sounded good but there were clicks and pops in the sound. I tried on my mobile playing with music app, youtube and saavn but all had the clicks and pops while playing with the USB out. I tried to search in the forum but could not find any particular thread/post. Any ideas on this?

Amit.

Hi Friends,

Today for the first time I tried my Schiit Modi Multibit DAC with USB. For that I connected my android mobile via OTG cable. It sounded good but there were clicks and pops in the sound. I tried on my mobile playing with music app, youtube and saavn but all had the clicks and pops while playing with the USB out. I tried to search in the forum but could not find any particular thread/post. Any ideas on this?

Amit.

Do you get similar pop/clicks while the Mimby is connected to a PC ?

No. I observed that if i connect with other mobiles it works fine. Only issue is with note 5. Seems some issue with note 5.

One more thing i read on the net. The native usb driver of android upsamples to 48 (instead of original 44.1). Hence people have suggested to use a app called as usb audio pro, which has its own usb drivers (for mobile) and does not resample. Anybody any idea on this?

No. I observed that if i connect with other mobiles it works fine. Only issue is with note 5. Seems some issue with note 5.

One more thing i read on the net. The native usb driver of android upsamples to 48 (instead of original 44.1). Hence people have suggested to use a app called as usb audio pro, which has its own usb drivers (for mobile) and does not resample. Anybody any idea on this?
Android resampling part is true. While connecting the chord mojo, the phone defaulted to 48khz.
Do not invest in uAPP. It sounds no better than any other free solutions. I'd say ditch the phone as transport. The mojo with phone as transport sounds lame. Tried a PC and a DAP as transport and things were better.

Android resampling part is true. While connecting the chord mojo, the phone defaulted to 48khz.
Do not invest in uAPP. It sounds no better than any other free solutions. I'd say ditch the phone as transport. The mojo with phone as transport sounds lame. Tried a PC and a DAP as transport and things were better.

Why do i have a feeling that you have tested a lot of scenarios with Chord Mojo :eek:hyeah:

If usb asynchronous is being used, then how does the transport / software manipulate sound? If it manipulates then it means it is not true to source. ( i am assuming normal scenarios where noise / speed etc do not interfere with asynchronous transfer. Also equalization etc are off). Just curious to know why some like transport A vs transport B in case of usb asynchronous. If some software / transport sound different, then it means they are coloring the sound by equalization or by upsampling.

Last edited:
If usb asynchronous is being used, then how does the transport / software manipulate sound? If it manipulates then it means it is not true to source. ( i am assuming normal scenarios where noise / speed etc do not interfere with asynchronous transfer. Also equalization etc are off). Just curious to know why some like transport A vs transport B in case of usb asynchronous. If some software / transport sound different, then it means they are coloring the sound by equalization or by upsampling.

the connection is always bit perfect, no EQ, no Volume control. I don't wanna open the Pandora's box here.

Let me give you one scenario which i tested :

Oneplus One (UAPP) + Mojo + Genelec Speakers
The only variable was Micro to Micro USB cable between Phone and Mojo.

I tested below Micro to Micro cables :

1. $5 cheap cable
2. Penon Audio Pure Copper $30
3. Penon Audio Pure Silver $30
4. Penon Audio Cheap $5 2 different cables
5. Forza Audio pure copper $65
6. Forza Audio Pyre cable $75

And every cable sounds different and easily noticeable. Now you can start researching on this part :):eek:hyeah:

Fyi : Even bit perfect from UAPP, Neutron and Hiby sounds different..!

Last edited:
Hmmm. I do myself strongly believe and have experienced and experimented with the cables having affect on sound. Mostly for RCA cables and speaker cables. Though never experimented with different cables for digital transmission. But anyway sounds interesting to know.

Hmmm. I do myself strongly believe and have experienced and experimented with the cables having affect on sound. Mostly for RCA cables and speaker cables. Though never experimented with different cables for digital transmission. But anyway sounds interesting to know.

You can improve the SQ by 20~30% just by changing digital cables, transport :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back