Clones 25i integrated amplifier comments

vivek_r

I wanted to put this review up for three main reasons:

1. Many people come up to me with "so you are into audio. Can you tell me a system that I should put together?" and my question starts with "tube or solid state" or a ridiculously long winded commentary on DACs (with buzzwords for good measure). They never come back, and that's good!

For about INR 50,000 or so, this can be a starting block for an audiophile and music lover.

2. The Clones audio products are highly reviewed (though limited forum action), but not easily available for an audition in India. So one needs to buy blind (or deaf?!), and I thought fellow audio nuts (particularly those who have my music preferences but have a limited budget) would benefit. There are many reviewers whom I wrote to and were sweet enough to reply and help.

3. Have been working on right matching my Harbeth Compact 7 speakers and this works incredibly well.

What I wont be doing in this is comparing it extensively with other amplifiers.

What do I listen to? You name it, and I do. Lately, lots more classical and jazz, but lots of rock, electronica, new wave, alt rock etc. I listen to CDs and LPs.

Here is some of the music I have played so far through it - this list is not exhaustive, but meant to tell you the different genres that I have enjoyed: Mahler's 4th (Szell/Raskin), Mahler Ruckert Lieder, Ahmad Jamal (Cross Country Tour), Borodin Qtts, Ravel (Dutoit), The Cure, The Beatles, Lee Konitz/Warne Marsh, Stravinsky Rite (Gergiev), Chopin (Pires), Scubert/Schumann (Maisky/Argerich), Schoenberg (Karajan), Radiohead (Kid A), Mavis Staples, Miles Davis, Rodrigo (Concerto - Pepe Romerez), Los Lobos (Kiko), Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody (Brendel), Bill Withers (Still Bill).

Break in is supposedly 100 hours, and this must have played 60-75 hours (estimate)

What do I want from a system? Mainly high quality tone (which is very critical for Classical, especially modern music - would die for richer tone), instrument separation, solid midrange with intelligible vocals, low sibilance, decent transparency. And yes, midrange, midrange, midrange.

What am I willing to compromise on? Bass slam, extreme imaging (decent instrument separation through tone will do), macro dynamics (more to capture ppp to p in a solo piano piece, rather than explosively recreating a Pink Floyd concert). I dont need extreme transparency as well (like listening to coins jingling in the Conductors pocket and able to say whether they were nickels or dimes).

My ideal audio reference: Quad ESL speakers (which for practical purposes, I will never own). I have heard many amps, dacs, lp players etc which I have really liked, but none captivate me as much as that one component.

The Clones: If you have looked at the preferences above, the Clones tick off. This amp gets the tone right and sounds musical. The most expensive amp, I have tried the Harbeths with is the Audio Research integrated, and it sounds really nice - but you wont find yourself lacking with musical enjoyment with this one. The Symphonic Line is another amp that I liked the Harbeths with, particularly for jazz and pop.

Bass is reasonably well defined and tight. Certainly not wallopingly strong, but will let you enjoy the impact reasonably.

Mid range is where it is at - you will make out all the words of a song clearly, for example. Strings and piano sound lovely. So do the winds.

Treble is also good, and more importantly (for me), non bothersome. That something special, that plangency, with tube designs is not there, but you can listened to solo violin without being bothered. Perhaps break in will help?

Or perhaps different cables? Is it my dac? (there you go! "Your debutante just knows what you need, I know what you want")

Loudness: Here is where the limitation of a 25 wpc with a passive volume control comes into play. For some albums, I needed to turn past the 12pm mark, which made me uncomfortable. Clones themselves make more powerful models.

What can you do better: More power would be useful. Harbeths are strangely hard to drive . Please dont obsess over the "More power" words. This is good enough for Metal, but Stravinsky can make it clip!

I hope this review has been helpful to those who have googled their heads off and are still indecisive. Go for it - you wont regret it.

Best wishes,

Vivek

PS. My sister bought it for me from Hong Kong and cleared customs at the airport. So I have no answers for shipping queries.

A shout out to Hercules, Clones dealer in Hong Kong.

Funjoe is very responsive and helpful.

Hi there,

This is the 25i integrated.

See

CLONES audio

All the information is given there or in the various reviews which are put up in the reviews page.

Vivek

Could you mention the model number and links to the website if they have any?

Which class amp is it?

Thank.

That's what
pls provide some l.inks and pref link to original amp....

unless that this thread will appear like drug fuelled rant!

Why did you buy a 'clone' amp in the first place deaf when you had a gazillion amps to audition here in India?

That is the question which needs answer.

It is not like everyone is waiting here to buy a clone 25i and only lack of review is preventing them. No one has heard of them. That is the reason.

Hi everyone, thanks for your posts. I have already pasted the links post the first query and it is taking time to come through. Patience please!

Why did I buy the "clone amp"? That is a fair question, especially because I keep telling myself not to buy blind.

I did listen to a few amps in India, mostly my friends' by asking for favours or through an exceptionally nice dealer in Bangalore. I didnt like a fe, or didnt think it was bang for the buck.

Also, I dont know of many people who have the Compact 7s in Mumbai (where I am located). So it is difficult to go and listen to other people's systems.

This amp came to my notice (google!) since I was looking to match my Harbeth with an amp that sounded "musical"! I generally like tube amps, but also wanted to give solid state a shot for convenience (so that I wont have have to worry about my kids leaving it on, etc).

Through time, I kept seeing more and more reviews of Clones and it intrigued me. I actually contacted some of the reviewers and they said that it was nice match and I wouldnt regret buying it.

At INR 50kish, especially with an obliging sister, it seemed worth a shot.

I put this review up not so that people would queue up for it, but to share an experience which is 'local'.

Blasto - I appreciate the question, but part of the fun is in discovering a "giant killer" no? I used to own a Naim Nait 2 a long long time ago, and this seems a value amp like that. However, one must support a local dealer, and it is a fair point.

Vivek

PS. Just in case it doesnt show up, here is one more cut paste of the link for your convenience.

CLONES audio

Yogibear, I hear the Audio Research VSI 60 a lot at a good friend's, and I find them great! Indeed they seem hard to beat.

Vivek

As far as the pics go, they are all in the website or associated reviews. Better quality than I would ever manage.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back