Coaxial or Analog L&R

Rohit Verma

Hi, I am using Marantz A/V Receiver 5002 and Marantz 4001 DVD player. Have had a lil' confusion over the sound connection. I mean which cable should I use? I have been using Coaxial Cable to connect my DVD player to receiver, which is working fine. However, few formats don't play sound for instance MPEG, or even with the VCD. The message I get in A/V Receiver is "NO AUDIO". Someone told me to use the coaxial cable instead of Analog L&R for audio connection in order to get a better sound especially for DTS and Dolby Digital. Please suggest which connection should I use to connect without compromising the sound quality. Also, which brand (specs) should I use for either of the above mentioned connection.

Thanks,

Rohit

Hi Rohit

If you are connecting from a Digital Coax 'out' on your DVD to a digital coax 'in' on your AVR, this will allow you to listen to 5.1 surround sound. You should not be using audio (a single strand of red/white pair or red/black pair) to connect to this outlet since these cables have lower impedence and are not meant to do the job.

You could however connect from L/R on your DVD player using these thinner audio cables (red/white pair) to the corresponding L/R outlet of the AVR called as the "CD" connection. This will however give you 2 channel or stereo sound only.

The key is to connect the appropriate outlets Digital Coax to Digital Coax.

CD L/R to CD L/R.

Hi, I am using Marantz A/V Receiver 5002 and Marantz 4001 DVD player. Have had a lil' confusion over the sound connection. I mean which cable should I use? I have been using Coaxial Cable to connect my DVD player to receiver, which is working fine. However, few formats don't play sound for instance MPEG, or even with the VCD. The message I get in A/V Receiver is "NO AUDIO". Someone told me to use the coaxial cable instead of Analog L&R for audio connection in order to get a better sound especially for DTS and Dolby Digital. Please suggest which connection should I use to connect without compromising the sound quality. Also, which brand (specs) should I use for either of the above mentioned connection.

Thanks,

Rohit

Thanks,

Rohit

If you use dedicates Coax than AVcable,your receiver can get enough information so that to decode audio.
Cost from Rs.700

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back