Compatible Speakers for Marantz PM7000N

capt.arya

Dear All
Pls. advise the most compatible floor standing as well as book shelf speakers
For Marantz PM7000N
Total Budget = Amplifier+Speakers = Not Exceeding INR 160000.
I have been advised below combination:
Marantz PM7000N plus Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speaker
Marantz PM7000N plus Wharfedale EVO 4.2 Bookshelf Speakers

Dear All
For Marantz PM7000N
Hi Capt,

You're in luck. Marantz Amps are usually not fussy about pairing - that is to say almost all speakers(in my experience), including the Evo 4.2s, pair well with Marantz.

Could you describe the (1) sound signature you're looking for, and (2) any particular reason you're cross-shopping between a floor stander and a bookshelf?

I have the Marantz PM7000N with Dali Oberon 5s. The combination works really well.
Even the Oberon 1 is a great performer, paired with an 8 inch sub.

I would suggest looking at Dali Speakers. They pair really well with Marantz amps.

I am
Hi Capt,

You're in luck. Marantz Amps are usually not fussy about pairing - that is to say almost all speakers(in my experience), including the Evo 4.2s, pair well with Marantz.

Could you describe the (1) sound signature you're looking for, and (2) any particular reason you're cross-shopping between a floor stander and a bookshelf?
Hi DB1989
I am a newbie to audiophile world. I love to listen to classic rock music. I want good clear sound where I can listen to all instruments well. Thats the max I can dive in to explain with my limited knowledge
My bedroom is large so ideally I should go for floor standing but then that will involve shifting some heavy furniture out of the bedroom whereas the bookshelves can be placed straight away in the pre-existing space where my old kenwood speakers used to be. To be honest I am partial to floor standers.

I have the Marantz PM7000N with Dali Oberon 5s. The combination works really well.
Even the Oberon 1 is a great performer, paired with an 8 inch sub.

I would suggest looking at Dali Speakers. They pair really well with Marantz amps.
I have read rave reviews about Dali. I am at a budget constraint here. I am from Gurgaon so I will check out the prices from an authorized Dali dealer in New Delhi. I believe there is one in Khan Market.

Dear All
For Marantz PM7000N

Indiq Signature Mishras - either 1.0 or 2.0, depending on the sound that you like. At some point, someone here is probably going to accuse me of being a shill for them because i recommend them very highly, but they truly have destroyed my expectations for the sound quality you can get in the sub-1L range.

But that's just my preference. You really need to listen to speakers to decide what type of sound that you like. Speaker quality isnt along a single dimension - each speaker is a set of compromises, and you need to decide which one sounds best to you.

Dear All
For Marantz PM7000N
Hi
I am using Wharfedale Crystal with Marantz PM 7000N.

I am using PM7000N with Elac b6.2. It sounds fantastic. Very clear, transparent and non- fatiguing.

If you really want something more high end, you can also consider Quad S2 (for a laid back listen) and B&W 606 (for a more exciting listen). If you have bigger room you can go with evo4.2 as they are bigger.
What is your room size?

I am using PM7000N with Elac b6.2. It sounds fantastic. Very clear, transparent and non- fatiguing.

If you really want something more high end, you can also consider Quad S2 (for a laid back listen)
The Quad S2 is not at all laid back.
and B&W 606 (for a more exciting listen). If you have bigger room you can go with evo4.2 as they are bigger.
The Evo 4.2 is big but can't go louder than other 6.5 inch bookshelfs. It's not suited for a big room.

Bro, where are you getting your information from?

It's contraindicative to how the abovesaid speakers perform from my experience (which is based on having lived with them for over 2 years till date and having heard them with a variety of amps, both class D and A/B and different ones at that)

The Quad S2 is not at all laid back.

The Evo 4.2 is big but can't go louder than other 6.5 inch bookshelfs. It's not suited for a big room.

Bro, where are you getting your information from?

It's contraindicative to how the abovesaid speakers perform from my experience (which is based on having lived with them for over 2 years till date and having heard them with a variety of amps, both class D and A/B and different ones at that)
And some other reviewers who said quad S2 is laid back. I thought that was the common notion.

And from what I have read evo 4.2 needs atleast a medium sized room to create the soundscape.

And some other reviewers who said quad S2 is laid back. I thought that was the common notion.

And from what I have read evo 4.2 needs atleast a medium sized room to create the soundscape.
Ahhhh... This reviewer - Tharbamar! I believe he's a crook. I had a few conversations with him on YT and i believe he's got vested interests.

Insofar as the Evo 4.2 is concerned, it's a good speaker but it's suitable for midsize rooms.

For example, it's adequate for my 21x12 bedroom but not my living room cum dining room which is L shaped and approx 450 sqft.

In the living room, I've had to couple it with two Subs. Even then, maximum decibels are limited. In fact, my Dynaudio Excite X14s - the pair, which are equivalent to a single Evo 4.2 speaker in size, goes just as loud.

So despite being a very large speaker and a very good one at that, loudness is not it's forte.

Last edited:
Ahhhh... This reviewer - Tharbamar! I believe he's a crook. I had a few conversations with him on YT and i believe he's got vested interests.

Insofar as the Evo 4.2 is concerned, it's a good speaker but it's suitable for midsize rooms.

For example, it's adequate for my 21x12 bedroom but not my living room cum dining room which is L shaped and approx 450 sqft.

In the living room, I've had to couple it with two Subs. Even then, maximum decibels are limited. In fact, my Dynaudio Excite X14s - the pair, which are equivalent to a single Evo 4.2 speaker in size, goes just as loud.

So despite being a very large speaker and a very good one at that, loudness is not it's forte.
How would you compare Quad S2 with Evo 4.2 for 7000N?

How would you compare Quad S2 with Evo 4.2 for 7000N?
I don't have the 7000N 😐

But personally - which is very very subjective, driven by the Marantz PM6006 and Marantz SR6013, or for that matter all the other amps that I have including the Cambridge Audio CXA81 and Willsenton R8, I prefer the Quads despite them having a brighter and totally different presentation to the Evo 4.2s - which are laidback and much warmer.

If only audio was that simple 🙂

I am

Hi DB1989
I am a newbie to audiophile world. I love to listen to classic rock music. I want good clear sound where I can listen to all instruments well. Thats the max I can dive in to explain with my limited knowledge
My bedroom is large so ideally I should go for floor standing but then that will involve shifting some heavy furniture out of the bedroom whereas the bookshelves can be placed straight away in the pre-existing space where my old kenwood speakers used to be. To be honest I am partial to floor standers.
Capt, i believe you should go audition as many speakers as you can, as many FMs have suggested and with good reason, especially your shortlist.

Since you're spending a hefty amount (at least in my books), and it's practically your first foray, it's a sine qua non. :D

Last edited:
I have a silly question, @DB1989 or someone can answer it.

Why would one go for 7000N vs something like 8006 or 6007? forget the network streaming part.
Many FMs are more than happy with the Wiim Mini which costs peanuts.

I have a silly question, @DB1989 or someone can answer it.

Why would one go for 7000N vs something like 8006 or 6007? forget the network streaming part.
Many FMs are more than happy with the Wiim Mini which costs peanuts.
I had the 6006 paired with Elac b6.2 and I recently upgraded to 7000N. Apart from the network streaming capabilities there is a significant jump in the overall sound quality. The music sounds clearer, more pleasing, soft and is non-fatiguing. The instruments are more realistic.

From what I have read 8006 has about the same sound quality as 7000n. It also costs the same. It is a trade off between more watts, more analog inputs and streaming capabilities.

I don't have the 7000N 😐

But personally - which is very very subjective, driven by the Marantz PM6006 and Marantz SR6013, or for that matter all the other amps that I have including the Cambridge Audio CXA81 and Willsenton R8, I prefer the Quads despite them having a brighter and totally different presentation to the Evo 4.2s - which are laidback and much warmer.

If only audio was that simple 🙂
Are the Evo 4.2s fussy about positioning? I think the Quad S2s are really not as they have a small port.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back