Complete DIY Active 3-Way System.

bijinmb

Hi Folks,

It's with great pleasure I am finally able to showcase my 7 months lasted project to our Guild.

Active 3-Way Stereo Audio System.

Listening Impression:

Good sound staging and feels more accurate sound reproduction. The bass is tight and robust.

Mid can be bit more open for my taste.

High's are very decent in performance.

Bottom side is feels like its consuming more electricity so can't turn on the system for silly things (eg. hearing Gtalk buzz! etc)

Sharing few snapshots:

Few links to the different phases of this project:

Active 3-Way Floorstander:
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/28211-my-diy-active-3-way-floorstander.html

Pass B1 - Buffer Pre-Amp
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/34168-diy-pass-b1.html

Active 3-Way Crossover
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/38548-diy-active-3-way-xover-lr-24db-octave.html

Jean Hiraga - Le Monstre, 8+8 Watts Power Amp
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/37608-jean-hiraga-le-monstre-8w-class-power-amp.html

Digital Audio Program Timer:
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/34531-diy-audio-program-timer.html

Last edited:
I like how you have placed them. Specially your equipment rack, which seems to be suspended in thin air. Kinda spooky :D

Best part in the cabinets of your electronics. Cabinets look gorgeous, specially due to the correct exposure to showcase the vue meters. Congrats!

Great setup and superb build quality. How do they all sound together as a unit?

Anil, The whole setup sounds nice and feels like great value for money.

This is one of the biggest project I have done so far in audio system engineering.

WOW. Unbelievable. Outstanding workmanship there.
Congratulations. Speechless really.:clapping:
The amps look like they pack in some 8Kw of power:).
Beautiful. Shockingly beautiful. Can't believe they are DIY.
Would love to see a different wall painting to match the system:D. Just my opnion.
All the best & Enjoy your system
Samuel

Very good work Bijin. All the time spent must appear worthwhile. I am sure you will do a lot of tweaking...Anyhow :clapping:

tumblr_m59t3gkcUK1qf4c7vo1_500.png

Impressive outstanding work Bijin. With all the electronics take care of curtains.
Regards.

Bibin/Bijin,

Fantastic work. You guys really set the bar high for DIY work. I have seen professional (as in commercial) amplifiers and speakers that look half as well built!

BTW, in your thread about the Jean Hiraga amplifiers, you had mentioned that you were initially running your speakers in passive mode. How much of a difference has been made with the active setup now?

So what's next in line for you both? It will be nice to see you take up some single driver speaker designs....will match very well with the Jean Hiraga amps in passive mode.

Best,
APK

Bibin/Bijin,

Fantastic work. You guys really set the bar high for DIY work. I have seen professional (as in commercial) amplifiers and speakers that look half as well built!

BTW, in your thread about the Jean Hiraga amplifiers, you had mentioned that you were initially running your speakers in passive mode. How much of a difference has been made with the active setup now?

So what's next in line for you both? It will be nice to see you take up some single driver speaker designs....will match very well with the Jean Hiraga amps in passive mode.

Best,
APK

Thanks for the comments.

The difference I felt personally was:

1. Improvement in sound staging.
2. Since 4th order slope is very steep, The drivers are getting the frequencies what they can perfectly deal with. I can really feel that difference placing ear on individual drivers.
3. Improvement on the low extension, I can really feel that punch of Bass. Previously it wasn't that punchy and tight.
4. Can push to its max. volume still it wont clip and the output is very loud.
5. Can hear few nuggets of music which I couldn't able to hear or was not that prominent before.

These are few things I have noticed but need more time to access further on active systems performance.

I shall post the new findings as it comes during listening.

Next build might be a back loaded horn loudspeaker with Fostex full range driver.

Our Fostex drivers reached here. When time permits, have to start its work.

This is the driver we have choosen for the project.

The Madisound Speaker Store

And we have a plan to start a GB for this design. Anyway need to know the FM interest.

Planning to do this project with complete CNC with 20-30% more on fit, finish and build quality!

I personally think these kind of design and drivers are perfect match for PF5, Le Monstre etc..

It's time to step to the next level of DIY, what ya think?

Last edited:
Goodness, gracious! For individual initiative this takes the cake! Congratulations!

What other sound systems would you compare this to? What systems does it better, in your opinion? And where does it fall short? Thanks in advance.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back