Completing my HT set up. Please help

Sandeep Padmanabhan

I am going to move in to a new apartment next year. We have a 300x390 room (125 sq ft approx) for home theatre / listening room cum library. I have a pair of tannoy eclipse 3 floor standers and denon x1200 reciever. Please suggest equipment to complete the ht set up. I think the eclipse 3 floor standers need a lot of space to breathe, moreover requires to be toed in for good imaging. If I can channel lower frequencies to a sub that require lesser breathing space I can retain those towers and add other equipment. Else I ll have to sell them off for some good bookshelves that require lesser breathing space. My dealer is suggesting mixing speakers for ideal output. I like warm mellow sound for vocals and absolutely hate ringing highs for music. My usage will be 60-70% music and 30% movies and xbox. May be my movie time will increase with a dedicated space.

My dealers suggestion
Reciever : x 1200 Denon (already here)
Towers: Tannoy eclipse 3 (already here)
Surrounds: Wharfdale DFS 19k (wall mounted)
Centre channel: Polk CSIA4 (18-19k)
Subwoofer: Polk PSW 110 / Mission M200 (18-20k)

Would it be wise to go for mixing of speakers for HT? My suggestion was to consider Eclipse center speaker (which he says is too soft for vocals) and Wharfdale surrounds. What about tannoy 2.8 sub? which is the only one in the tannoy range that falls within my budget (50k for surrounds + sub). Can some one suggest speakers that can tonally match with tannoy towers?

If I can channel lower frequencies to a sub that require lesser breathing space I can retain those towers and add other equipment. Else I ll have to sell them off for some good bookshelves that require lesser breathing space.

You should retain towers as anyway you will get subwoofer..

Would it be wise to go for mixing of speakers for HT?

Yes.. Just fine..

My suggestion was to consider Eclipse center speaker (which he says is too soft for vocals)

Best to have Tannoy Eclipse center.. If not aval, you may consider other options too..

and Wharfdale surrounds.

For surrounds & may be heights, you can consider Polk OWM 3/5.. Easier to mount..

Sandeep- In my opinion there is no need to put a floorstanding speaker as a center channel speaker which is always difficult to integrate with rest of the speakers. Beside that a vertical position of a center channel speaker is not ideal in our domestic HT set up. So I would look for a good center channel speaker which matches the sound of your two floorstanding speakers. It is important to timber match the center channel speaker with rest of the front speakers and it is very common to use the same brand for all three front speakers. But you can certainly do mix and match. Finally there is no need to change your existing front speakers for this requirement.
Thanks.

Best to have Tannoy Eclipse center.. If not aval, you may consider other options too..
Just ordered a Tannoy eclipse center for the center channel on htstore, will be delivered to me by September 1st week.

Now comes the question of subwoofer.
I dont expect to build a home theater in a exclusive room as of now. After discussions with my family I feel i will have to accomodate my ht setup in the living room as the builder has a pre-conducted home theatre set up in the living room. My denon 1200 will be inadequate for filling the entire living cum dining room, but I would like to have some home theater experience when sitting infront of the TV unit. The surrounds can be decided later, but wallmouted seems out of question as of now. Herewith attaching the living room pic from the appt plan. Please advise regarding options for speaker placement and subwoofers. Which brand and wattage should I go for? (The dimensions are in cms.)

living room.png

Ok Great..
If possible, could you share some actual pictures of the room?.. As it would help to suggest accordingly..
Room is not yet ready. Interior work going on. Would like to purchase the equipments now itself as keeping it for handing over time would mean a lot of compromise. :p

Just ordered a Tannoy eclipse center for the center channel on htstore, will be delivered to me by September 1st week.

Now comes the question of subwoofer.
I dont expect to build a home theater in a exclusive room as of now. After discussions with my family I feel i will have to accomodate my ht setup in the living room as the builder has a pre-conducted home theatre set up in the living room. My denon 1200 will be inadequate for filling the entire living cum dining room, but I would like to have some home theater experience when sitting infront of the TV unit. The surrounds can be decided later, but wallmouted seems out of question as of now. Herewith attaching the living room pic from the appt plan. Please advise regarding options for speaker placement and subwoofers. Which brand and wattage should I go for? (The dimensions are in cms.)
Hi Sandeep ,
Based on your Living room Will you be able to make adjustments with TV Cabinet as below. I think With FS speakers ,you should have considered some space at the right end of TV cabinet. The sub also can be kept in the right end corner if you can make space there. (OR you can keep SUB in the in the corner -removing one sofa seat or in middle of sofa as shown in below pic).

If you cannot make space at right end corner for Floor standers , you can try to placing the FS speaker before TV Cabinet ..(considered TV Cabinet size is not more than 1.5 feet). Other wise it will not align with center speaker.

Center speaker can be kept below TV if there's a space , if there's a space in the cabin below you can keep it (if its not too down)

For this kind of TV Cabinet Bookshelf speaker will fit well. Not sure you can keep Floor Stander speaker on Tv cabinet as FS meant to be kept on Floors.

For surrounds you may consider to keep it with Stands as shown below , or you may try consider adding speakers on ceiling.

living room.png

Room is not yet ready. Interior work going on. Would like to purchase the equipments now itself as keeping it for handing over time would mean a lot of compromise. :p

Not a problem.. It is ok, even if it is unfinished walls..Just wanted to see the actual pics of the room & see where you can position speakers accordingly..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back