Computer nerds... pls guide in PC rig config and prices

Spidey

hi all

i am planning to setup a new PC from scratch.

Am reading all those core i5,i7 , hexa-core etc stuff..

and mobos like Gigbayte X58A-UD5.

Guys, can u suggest a good CPU_mobo combo upto 25k.......

I heard new mobos are supporting USB 3.0 and sATA 6GB/sec.

Any prices of these stuffs from actual stores??

thanks

i just bought the components for my new system
here is the list

i7 930-13700
intel mobo x58dso 11700
6gb ram:ddr3 kingston 2650/2gb
hd5850 graphics card 17200
seagate 1tb:3250
coolermaster 690 cabinet:4900
650w coolermaster gx650w 5800
samsung dvd combo 1000
you can get asus p6t boards ,based on x58chipsets(17-18k starting i think)

here is the list

i7 930-13700
intel mobo x58dso 11700
samsung dvd combo 1000

Gawk! :eek: Gawk! :eek: Gawk! :eek:

The 48xx GPUs are supposed to be better than the 5xxx GPUs btw

Sent from my iPod touch

here is the list

i7 930-13700
intel mobo x58dso 11700
samsung dvd combo 1000

This is way overkill for a HTPC. All you need is a good graphics card and a good sound card. Everything else need not be top of the line as the regular CPUs are plenty powerful nowadays.

I think one can go for iCore 7 to be "future-proof" and avoid a early need of upgrade.

A word about USB 3.0 :

- 10 times faster than 2.0

- Smart Charge with On-off :
Even when your computer is completely swicthed off, u can use the USB 3.0 port with on-off for charging your Iphone, ipod etc...
A cool feature to lower electricity consumption.

A couple of points.

Whether you need a separate GPU or not is going to be dictated by how much you game. So, I am leaving that aside for now.

CPU - While the i7s have scant competition in the market, they are mightily overpriced. Plus the motherboards supporting the 1366 chipset are also immensely costly. In contrast if you are looking for a machine which will multitask very well, look at the AMD Thuban 1055T and an AM3 motherboard. There are ASUS (Evo 880G), Gigabyte and MSI options at around the Rs. 6000 to Rs. 7000 range. The processor would set you back by about Rs. 10,500. I dont see a combination which can beat the utility of this setup at the same budget. Oh and these are all USB3 motherboards.

If you get the above combination you dont need a display card - unless you are going to use the PC for gaming.

That leaves you with case, RAM, hard disk and cooling devices. I have already given you a case recommendation in that other thread about Silverstone cabinet. All the best.

A couple of points.

Whether you need a separate GPU or not is going to be dictated by how much you game. So, I am leaving that aside for now.

CPU - While the i7s have scant competition in the market, they are mightily overpriced. Plus the motherboards supporting the 1366 chipset are also immensely costly. In contrast if you are looking for a machine which will multitask very well, look at the AMD Thuban 1055T and an AM3 motherboard. There are ASUS (Evo 880G), Gigabyte and MSI options at around the Rs. 6000 to Rs. 7000 range. The processor would set you back by about Rs. 10,500. I dont see a combination which can beat the utility of this setup at the same budget. Oh and these are all USB3 motherboards.

If you get the above combination you dont need a display card - unless you are going to use the PC for gaming.

That leaves you with case, RAM, hard disk and cooling devices. I have already given you a case recommendation in that other thread about Silverstone cabinet. All the best.

Separate GPU is required if you want buttery smooth 1080p playback (hardware-accelerated decoding) . The regular processor can do the job but then those processors are very costly when compared to the GPU.

I think one can go for iCore 7 to be "future-proof" and avoid a early need of upgrade.

A word about USB 3.0 :

Even when your computer is completely swicthed off, u can use the USB 3.0 port with on-off for charging your Iphone, ipod etc...

Spidey, USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0 gb/s are still not the standard and devices supporting this are very minimal.

To begin with a board supporting these features will not be less then 20k in the indian market.

The technology will mature in another year and street prices will ccool off subsequently hence you can continue to USB 2.0 till then.

Separate GPU is required if you want buttery smooth 1080p playback (hardware-accelerated decoding) . The regular processor can do the job but then those processors are very costly when compared to the GPU.

Nope. It is not necessary to have a separate GPU for 'buttery smooth' 1080p playback.

And the processors which can do the job are quite a bit less costly than the GPUs really :). For example the six core processor that I just mentioned above is about Rs. 10,000. And there actually are processors at around the Rs. 6000 price range which can easily do the job. Whereas the graphics cards at that price are not really worth it.

Spidey, USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0 gb/s are still not the standard and devices supporting this are very minimal.

To begin with a board supporting these features will not be less then 20k in the indian market.

The technology will mature in another year and street prices will ccool off subsequently hence you can continue to USB 2.0 till then.

Illusion_heart - this is not true. On second thought maybe only partially true. Intel motherboard chipsets with true USB 3.0 support are extremely costly. To be even more precise the economical USB 3.0 chipsets (for intel) are not yet available in India.

It is not a problem with the AMD motherboards. From Rs. 6000 onwards you get very good USB 3.0 motherboards.

Gawk! :eek: Gawk! :eek: Gawk! :eek:
The 48xx GPUs are supposed to be better than the 5xxx GPUs btw
Sent from my iPod touch

Gobble my friend you are mistaken here......58xx GPUs are way ahead than the 48 counterparts, both in performance and Heat, yes power consumption is of coursed increased .....

@Spidey whats is your usage basically, the config borg has is more or less inclined towards gaming, which I am not sure would be your priority .....

bansal98 said:

As vortex said separate GPU is not required for 1080 playback ....... HD playback is no big deal for processors, the only reason you actually require a dedicated decent GPU is 1. Gaming or 2. High end video rendering and animation.

Last edited:
Yes, Sam9, the ATI 5830 and 5850 chips are class leaders. Now if only ATI could deliver with solid drivers! :(

Illusion_heart - this is not true. On second thought maybe only partially true. Intel motherboard chipsets with true USB 3.0 support are extremely costly. To be even more precise the economical USB 3.0 chipsets (for intel) are not yet available in India.

It is not a problem with the AMD motherboards. From Rs. 6000 onwards you get very good USB 3.0 motherboards.

My bad mate, forgot to mention that i was referring to intel based platforms.

A word about USB 3.0 :

As long as you get a dual core system, any CPU will do. CPU speed has reached the stage where it is irrelevant compared to the other components. Want a really fast system? Then spend on things like an SSD, RAM and Graphics Card. And make sure you get the best cooling.

That is a function of the price of the chipsets themselves.. i.e. the Intel H55/H57 and X58 chipsets are more expensive than the AMD 790GX/FX.

And anyway, all the USB3.0 functionality in all these boards is via an add-on chip from NEC or Marvell. Intel is not adding USB3.0 native support to their chipsets till sometime in 2011.

This is way overkill for a HTPC. All you need is a good graphics card and a good sound card. Everything else need not be top of the line as the regular CPUs are plenty powerful nowadays.

This is not a htpc, i guess i didn't read the forum name sorry!

Last edited:
That is a function of the price of the chipsets themselves.. i.e. the Intel H55/H57 and X58 chipsets are more expensive than the AMD 790GX/FX.

And anyway, all the USB3.0 functionality in all these boards is via an add-on chip from NEC or Marvell. Intel is not adding USB3.0 native support to their chipsets till sometime in 2011.

Fair enough on the logic. But see as a consumer, I care not if the chip itself costs more, do I? :)

Dont you think the 1366 chipset is way overpriced though? At any rate the entire AMD combo offers much more for the price, I think.

Hi,
Just my 2 cents.
Before we can give nay suggestion on the topic, could you please let us know what all you gonna use the sytem for.
Depending on your requirements you can either achevice your goal with a Dual core, quad core or you may need the new Icore's but it depends what are you planning to do with that system.
You can get a computer anywhere from 25k- 2 lakhs but depends what do you need.
My suggestion don't go with what's new, look for the value for money and see what you gonna use the system for.
Just a thought.

Hi,
Just my 2 cents.
Before we can give nay suggestion on the topic, could you please let us know what all you gonna use the sytem for.
Depending on your requirements you can either achevice your goal with a Dual core, quad core or you may need the new Icore's but it depends what are you planning to do with that system.
You can get a computer anywhere from 25k- 2 lakhs but depends what do you need.
My suggestion don't go with what's new, look for the value for money and see what you gonna use the system for.
Just a thought.

I agree....pls base your decision on use & requirements rather then avaliability of any new technology / new product.

I have an old 2.53 Ghz Core2Duo on a MSI P45 mobo with a Radeon 4850 GPU. and HD videos are "buttery smooth" but then those same videos are just as smooth on my centrino2 lappy with an IGP. so you might as well save your money and go got a decent mobo with a good integrated graphics (geforce go or radeon Xpress) As long it has a DVI or HDMI out and 6.1 connections/SDPID coaxial For a media centric PC, other details are more important like a nice Home ther case like a zalman HD160 ... aint that a beauty

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back