Confused about Sony V550 and Ex500/Ex400 or the LED 600/700

anabil

Hello all
I am searching about sony Bravia LCD
i live in egypt
unfortunately not all sizes of the sony lcd come to our market.
the lcd in comparison are V550, Ex500/400 or the LED 700/600
i know well the specifications difference and the 09 and 2010 models.
but i don't well which LCD has better picture quality and this is the most important.

i know that Ex 500/700 has the 100 hz but considering pic quality when i compared ex 500 vs V550 i found that colours are more bright in V500. considering the red and green
i thought that Ex 500 has to be better than V550 ut it wasn't the case so please advise me how to select the best picture quality and what to look for beside the known specs of all models

please help me

Well of all the tvs you mentioned the EX700 is the better one,followed by the EX500 and secondaly colors are quite subjective .
the new 2010 models have the edge in contrast and power consumption,with usual tweaks in image processing department.

I don't know if you have the NX series (Monolithic design) available in Egypt. Believe me, its definitely worth a look.

Thanks for ur prompt answer
the problem that i can't pay very much on the LCD
so NX700 is very good one but i can't afford it
the Nx 500 doesn't come to our market yet

Adder i think from my previous readings that you are professional
away from the subjective point of the colors how can i iddentify that one model is superior to other, what should i look for?
from the specs point sure it is clear which models have superior hand.

i have identified how the bx 400 picture is very slow when camera is zooming in or out and u feel that the pic is moving slowly bit by bit
and v550 may have something like that but not as clear as the one in bx400
and if compare v550 vs ex 500 you can identify this difference but in difficult way.
i have thought that ex 500 must be better than v550 but why colors are more bright in the v550 (2009 models) for example yellow or red flower or green leaves .
am i looking from the wrong prespective or shoudl the yellow , red green clour to appear more pale like one seen in ex 500.

please help
i have been a very big while reading and this is my only 2nd post, i have been comparing the sony's before worldcup 2010 but unfortunately our market is too slow in importing the new models and also don't provide the 32 size of ex 500 and not providing many varities

thanks

Hi Anabil,

Well! here are my 2 cents ...

the V series models are the older generation of Sony's LCD series.
The newer generation models are named BX, EX, NX and so on ...

Here are the attributes in a TV you may look for:

1. Full HD - 1080p
2. Bravia 3 Engine - most of the new gen Sony TVs are Bravia 3
2. Atleast 3 HDMi ports

In my opinion, if you are looking for a decent 32" TV that is resonably future-proof, please consider the KLV-32Ex600, which is a edge LED based model. It seels for about Rs. 50000/- in India and should be marginally less out there.

This does NOT offer Motionflow feature, but should offer very good picture quality combined with nice contrasts.

Please note that the NX series is not anyway superior as you end up paying for the design of the TV rather than the technicalities.

Hope this helps.

away from the subjective point of the colors how can i iddentify that one model is superior to other, what should i look for?

i have identified how the bx 400 picture is very slow when camera is zooming in or out and u feel that the pic is moving slowly bit by bit
and if compare v550 vs ex 500 you can identify this difference but in difficult way.
i have thought that ex 500 must be better than v550 but why colors are more bright in the v550 (2009 models) for example yellow or red flower or green leaves .
am i looking from the wrong prespective or shoudl the yellow , red green clour to appear more pale like one seen in ex 500.

please help
i have been a very big while reading and this is my only 2nd post, i have been comparing the sony's before worldcup 2010 but unfortunately our market is too slow in importing the new models and also don't provide the 32 size of ex 500 and not providing many varities

thanks

The BX300/400 image processing in reality is inferior to 09 V550a ,S550A series & 2010 EX,NX range and above .
The BX are more like the old U series and T series.

Again regarding colors it depends on various factors like factory settings,the color filter used in the panel and backlight used. again lcd panels are constantly improved each year.

So leaving aside the colors look at how the tv handles motion,whether its preserves shadow details and can show those deep blacks levels in tricky scenes in movies like I am legend.

Thanks for ur prompt answer
the problem that i can't pay very much on the LCD
so NX700 is very good one but i can't afford it
the Nx 500 doesn't come to our market yet

please help

thanks

NX series (monolithic design) has a nice sheet of glass that reminds us of the laptop screens with glossy finish.. too much reflection. I personally do not like that, the others are better (they have a matte look and better at handling reflection falling on them). Why pay extra for a flaw (NX)? Of course if you can control light then you may like it.

Color can be calibrated on ANY TV later, you can always adjust individual colors coz different TVs behave differently when it comes to color ( I noticed that LG has reddish tint to it's images).

Look for black levels in LCD TV. Just take "Dark Knight" blu ray with you and ask him to play it on all TVs you shortlisted. You will be able to make a better decision. And perhaps Planet Earth for colors.

I noticed that Sony LCD TVs have better blacks (and pure white while white in Samsung looked pale blue to me) compared to Samsung LCDs... anyone disagree?

I noticed that Sony LCD TVs have better blacks (and pure white while white in Samsung looked pale blue to me) compared to Samsung LCDs... anyone disagree?

Absolutely completely agree ... though some brands brag about high contrast atios, nothing in practice seems to beat the Sony breed.

hi again

1)regarding sound quality only which one is better Ex 500 or W 550
2)second question if i had to choose between the EX 400 or 500
which one has the better picture quality
i know well that Ex 500 has the 100 hz which is not available at the Ex 400 and does the slow movement (as if the picture is in series of many cuts) of the motion of camera is very clear and noticeable at Ex 400.
3)does the pic quality at the LED EX 600 is better than the Ex 500 also is the slow movement (as if the picture is in series of many cuts)is very evident at the Ex 600 or not noticeable in comparison of either EX 500 or Ex 700
4)does Ex 700 is a way more superior than Ex 600 ?
5) my final question what about the pic quality of Nx 500 is it better than Ex400, 500, 600, 700

Friends many of these models are not yet available at my country , my sister is going to buy one from a gulf country so please help in terms of 1,2,3,4,5 questions as soon as possible
thanks

Hi Friends again
If i have to buy a sony LCD from Ex 400, 500 , 600, 700 or W 550
please help me in these inquiries
1)concerning the sound quality only is W 500 is better than the Ex 500
2) what of all these models have the best sound quality
3) due to the abscence of the 100 hz in Ex 400 does the slow movemenet of the camera(as if the picture or the scene is cut into several cuts and is moving slowly) is very evident or not that noticeable?
4) does the pic quality of the LED EX 600 is better than the Ex 500
5) does the pic quality of Ex 600 is a way inferior to Ex 700 also is that slow movement is evident or not noticeable
6) finally how about the NX 500 aside from the reflecting thing is its picture quality is better than Ex 400, 500 , 600,700
thanks plz help asap

Well i do believe that the W550A had slightly better sound.
Obviously the EX500 is your best option,the EX700 is also good has a sharp panel slightly better motion and viewing angle.
NX has nothing to offer other then better aesthetics but with price of glare.

thanks Adder for ur prompt answer
is the EX 600 is better than Ex 500 considering the picture quality and considering the slow movement due to abscence of 100 hz in Ex 600 or it is not noticeable to that degree?

now is ur opinion that l should choose Ex 500 over all the mentioned models does Ex500 really has better pic quality even than the w550?

thanks so much for all ur opinions

Hi all
i want to ask which sony lcd in 32 inch is the best in viewing non HD satellite channels.
i have seen in the market ex 400 and its picture while viewing non hd satellite channel is horrible.

Well EX400 and above should be fine for non HD channels,but as discussed many times before even if you use a high end av receiver for upscaling the PQ will still depend onhow good the original source is.I have seen people still use the primitive RF cable and complain about PQ in SD channels.
Even in DTH the quality varies from one provider to other.

thanks Adder and all others for ur support
my final inquiry
finally i gonna choose either 32 ex 400 or ex 700
i get confirmation that the 32 ex 500 won't be available at our market
32 ex 400 is now available in Egyptian market and i have checked it and its colours are good and in my point of view is more bright than the ones in the 40 ex 500.
i haven't noticed any slow movement in case of camera motion due to abscence of the 100 hz, have you ever noticed it Adder in Ex 400?
32 Ex 700 is not yet available but it will be available soon.
should i wait for the Ex 700 or it iisn't worth the wait?
aside from the ethernet conncection and other internet applications in Ex 700 is its colours and pic quality are better and noticeable than the Ex 400?
Thanks so much Adder and all for all ur support

Regarding 100HZ, you won't notice its absence if the feature is not there in the TV. However if a TV does have 100Hz feature, then its effects are easily noticeable. Some people prefer 100Hz, some don't. Whether you prefer it or not depends completely on you. Point is, I would not let 100Hz be a deciding factor in choosing a TV.
Also do note that these higher EX series are priced much higher, especially if they are 2010 models. So keep in mind that you may be able to buy a 42" plasma with the money you will be spending on a 32" LCD, if size is a factor for you. Hope I haven't confused you further:)

Last edited:
Well you can notice the 100hz difference,i would say without much effort in football, a wide shot of animal predator/prey chase scenes.even in news channels if there are fast scrolling text.
The EX700 has a sharp panel X gen panel with slightly better viewing angle and natively better response time,hence slightly better motion,it should also have lesser RTC errors.Whether its worth the extra money especially in small 32" size,i am not sure ,since for the price of 32 EX700 you can mostly get a 40 EX400.

Due to shortage of sharp panels the EX 700 range aren't gone get any price cut soon and its reported that sony will launch a new series EX710 with the regular SPVA panel.Unlike samsung and some other sony has thus far has no panel lottery and looks like then want to keep it that way with the launch of EX710.

Thanks Shredder thanks Adder for ur support
i appreciate ur help
Shredder about plasma i don't want to buy plasma due to the life span problems and burn in problems
about 42 inch i don't have much space i only have space for 32 or max 37 inch not more
Adder about Ex 700 i have read many uncouraging reviews and they are talking about un even unfiromity of the screen and it is more bright in the centre than in the edges and black tinged blue
u sure have read that.
i haven't seen ex 700 real yet as it is still not available.
i have seen also the samsung c 530 and c550 and in my country c530 is lower in price than ex 400 and c 550 is higher slighlty little than ex 400
and i have read many opinions about the panel lottery in samsung
so what do u think i should go for or just simply arrange them in the order of best pic quality but keeping aside the internet and usb and other specs aside
is this order the right one or not Ex700 then Ex 400 then C550 then c530 or not?
thanks

EX700 as with edge led lcds you may find banding,i for one haven't seen then yet.You can get them in any lcds,so best thing is to do is see the lcd you are taking home in the store itself.
EX700 is the better one ,EX400 and C530/C550A are just to close to call a winner,if anything the sony will have a consistent panel.

Personally i feel the EX700 for a 32" isn't worth it.
IF you are on a budget you can't go wrong with the samsung C530/C550,it has similar performance and has more features then the sony and cheaper.

Hello adder and other friends again
you are right about that ex 700 is replaced by a new series the ex 710
i checked sony mea and sonystyle and have seen the ex710
i am now between the ex500 and ex710
i have asked and compared for long time many models
i am no longer convinced about the ex 400 due to the absence of the 100 hz
yes it is clear that 100 hz is absent in showroom when showing something static as large hill and the camera is moving from right to left or any scene like that the image is shown as moving slowly and not smoothly
is alike images are supposed to be present frequently with normal SD channels?
do you have any idea when the ex710 will be available in the market and how much does it cost?
i really don't know what is the difference between sharp panel and the spva panel, so will u please clarify

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back