Confused between Optical and HDMI

sunster

Hi
I have one qn that will determine if I need a reconnection/ addition of cables in my system. I have a ps3 connected directly to the TV via HDMI and optically connected to the AVR. Reason is that somehow I feel I don't want to route the ps3>TV signal from the AVR. Now I hve a 5.1 ch setup which will not upgrade to 7.1 ch anytime soon. Will changing audio from optical to HDMI from ps3 make a big difference in sound and will it enable the newer HD sound formats to be enhanced on a 5.1 ch system as well. I have a lot of FLAC converted to wav tracks on the ps3. Will tese tracks sound better on HDMI rather than on Optical...

Thx

Sunny

Last edited:
FLAC /Wave would not see any improvement if you switch to HDMI. Reason is, Optical has enough bandwidth to carry these signals (I assume these files are stereo, created from Audio CDs).

HDMI would help with newer HD Audio signals that can not be handled by Optical due to lack of bandwidth.

In AVR, there is an option of "passthrough" for Video via HDMI. In that case AVR would not manipulate video signals.

Will changing audio from optical to HDMI from ps3 make a big difference in sound
No. Not at all, it will be identical.
and will it enable the newer HD sound formats to be enhanced on a 5.1 ch system as well.
You can listen to HD formats only if your receiver can decode HD formats.
Otherwise for non HD formats they will be identical.
If you receiver can decide HD formats then the only way to listen to them is via HDMI (no other option). And HD formats will sound better than non HD formats even on a 5.1 speaker system.
I have a lot of FLAC converted to wav tracks on the ps3. Will tese tracks sound better on HDMI rather than on Optical...
No. Not at all, they will be identical.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back