Confused between sony W800A 47' and samsung 46F6400

naveentarapatla

Hello Guys,How is every body doing???

I am new to this forum. Sorry for asking same old questions.Thing is it I am buying a new TV for my Daddy and my requirements are that it should have 3D and it should be a Smart tv So i have shortlisted

1.Sony W800A 47'
2.Samsung 46f6400
3.Sony HX 850(have been informed that it does not support MKV and a 2012 model)

Please suggest which one to take and also if you have any other brands in mind please tell me.. Thanks in advance

Thank you much for your reply ...

My budget is around 1.5 l.we mostly watch movies and sports channels ...I am trying to make sure that everything is future proof.

I would advice you to look at the panasonic 50st60 plasma it will be better than the ones you have listed by a mile for watching movies and sports and will cost you around 1.10 lacs .
If you have concerns over image burn or are apprehensive towards plasma for some reason, then only then have a look at the samsung 46f8000 again the best led in the market .
The models you have listed are mid tier in your budget ie 1.5 l you can get something way better

hx850 is not available in the market everywhere and if gets one it could even be a demo set and he wouldnt even know as you can see from his comments he is not well versed in these things
with a budget of 1.5 lac if he mentions w800 and f6400 along with hx850 that says it all.
so instead of posting weird comments rather help him out

Naveen,

For 1.5L you have wide options from 46" to 55". First shortlist the models then eliminate and choose. I'll stick to LCD. Can't comment on plasma since I haven't seen any 2013 models yet.

These are top tiers:
Sony 46W950
Samsung 46F8000

Given a choice I would take the F8000 based on my demo. The Samsung goes brighter and crisper.

Mid trier will be:
Sony 55W800
Samsung 46F7500 higher than mid tier
Samsung 55F6400
I'll demo the F6800 this weekend and report. It is also available in 50".

The F7500 is my choice but expensive and smaller size. Between W800 and F6400 it is a difficult choice.

Have you shortlisted after demo?

Last edited:
is black level of F8000 is superior than other sony models..not sure about that..if you are buying a tv with 1.5lk you should keen on all details of pic qualities..

is black level of F8000 is superior than other sony models..not sure about that..if you are buying a tv with 1.5lk you should keen on all details of pic qualities..

F8000 has half the Contrast ratio of Sony W9X0A.

W900 -

Black Level - 0.02 cd/m2 (Local Dimming OFF)
On/Off - 6000:1 (Local Dimming OFF)
ANSI - 4088:1 + (Local Dimming OFF)

F8000

Black Level - 0.04 cd/m2
On/Off - 3000:1
ANSI - 2121:1

So as you can see, F8000 has half the contrast ratio of W9XX. But Samsung is brighter, W900 is more like a plasma brightness wise.

Source: AVForumsReviews

Last edited:
Thank you every one for your kind reply!

so , you guys think that sony W800a is not a better option , I have demoed the sony HX850 but the salesman said that it would not support formats like MKV. coming to sony w950 ,i think the only difference between 800 and 950 is the panel design and motion rate(According to me).So coming to samsung 46F6400 is it better than sony w800a or equal in picture quality.So ,today i will go to demo samsung f7500 and sony w950

Guys suggest me the best option as i am not all all aware of this things

Okay. Got it.

"The only other area of complaint, again discussed in the test section, is that for an LED LCD TV, the 40W905 isn't that bright. It will certainly pump out more than enough lumens for night time viewing and will easily meet most people's needs but if you're looking for a TV to compete with a lot of direct sunlight, the 40W905 might not be for you."
--AVF

On both sets contrast ratio is impressive. Will wait for a 55W905 review for direct comparison with 55F8000.

AVF measurements are slightly off from HDTVTest; the review site that I trust more than others.

Either go for sony W950 or the sony 850. I read somewhere that sony w800a is like LG-passive 3d, both in picture quality and technology.
Don't worry about the W950's brightness issue. I have a Panny plasma and I love the picture quality and I never had any problem with brightness, so, if the sony W950 has picture quality like plasma, then that is a good news since led tvs don't have image burnin issues like plasma.
In the past 2 years, samsung seems to have been priced higher than the equivalent sony, so IMHO go for sony 950 or 850, provided you have the funds.

Sony 46HX850 if it is available.

As mentioned before, between the 47W800 and 46F6400 it is a difficult decision. Depends on your demo, personal taste and IPS vs VA panel. Don't stress both are very good in their own ways.

HX850 will cost you more than the other two.

It is for dad then take him along if possible. All 3 displays are very good on PQ so nothing to worry on his selection.

Sony 46HX850 if it is available.

As mentioned before, between the 47W800 and 46F6400 it is a difficult decision. Depends on your demo, personal taste and IPS vs VA panel. Don't stress both are very good in their own ways.

HX850 will cost you more than the other two.

It is for dad then take him along if possible. All 3 displays are very good on PQ so nothing to worry on his selection.

Thank you Very much,

I have heard that the Sony Hx850 does not support formats such as MKV .so, should i still go and purchase it

I think I will go for HX850 out of OPs original choices. If budget can be expanded, then may be Sony 900 or 950.

Regarding the playing MKV files on HX850, either you can convert them to M2TS format using a converter or considering that you'll buy such an expensive TV, I will suggest you to buy a BD player which are nowadays has media player capability almost always plays MKVs.

Thank you Very much,

I have heard that the Sony Hx850 does not support formats such as MKV .so, should i still go and purchase it

My sincere advice to you is NEVER EVER PURCHASE A TV FOR THE FORMATS IT CAN PLAY. You can always get a multimedia player or a Blu-ray player that can support mkv file and more.
Your primary concern should be picture quality, reliability, customer support and features.

F8000 has half the Contrast ratio of Sony W9X0A.

W900 -

Black Level - 0.02 cd/m2 (Local Dimming OFF)
On/Off - 6000:1 (Local Dimming OFF)
ANSI - 4088:1 + (Local Dimming OFF)

F8000

Black Level - 0.04 cd/m2
On/Off - 3000:1
ANSI - 2121:1

So as you can see, F8000 has half the contrast ratio of W9XX. But Samsung is brighter, W900 is more like a plasma brightness wise.

Source: AVForumsReviews

Thanks for the info..

with that black level do you really mind that less brightness...
OP I would go with HX850 if it's a latest piece..and don't worry much about mkv support..you can buy a cheap bd player like sony s1100 and play mkv.

Also have demo of w802..it's actually very good also samsung tends to over process picture imo.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back