Confused between Stabiliser, PC UPS and home UPS for AVR -Seeking help.

ajuvignesh

Hi all.

Recently I purchased a Yamaha Yht-1840 but I'm yet to hook it up. I'm confused on the power supply for the AVR. Here is the thing.

My home already has a decade old square wave ups. Fans, bulbs are connected to it and also TV components are connected to it through a stabiliser. Now the AVR, which is 240 W max, is also going to the socket which has ups backup. To give a better power supply to the AVR, I have following options:

1) Remove the connection to the socket from the home UPS and Connect the AVR to it through a stabiliser and surge protector. costs roughly Rs 3500. It solves the fluctuation and spike issues but the system will be turned OFF immediately once the power is gone. Don't know if sudden power cut is good.

2) Remove the connection to the socket from the home UPS and Connect the AVR to a computer UPS - costs about Rs 3000. But those computer ups are quasi sine wave. Although I want the ups just to do a safe shut down, I don't really know a quasi sine wave ups is fine for an AVR.

3) Ditch the square wave home ups and purchase a pure sine wave ups and connect the AVR and other electronics to it. Costs Rs 6000, approx. But, does it protect the equipments from spikes? Square wave ups' are already outdated and I will upgrade it in the future, anyway.

The electricity here is pretty much stable. CVT stabiliser is a good option but I was told that the CVTs are not recommended for low power applications - AVRs take power only when it needs it and consumes less power on standby. Online Ups is beyond my budget and requirements as the minimum available is 1kva.

what could be a cheap and/or a better way to protect the AVR?
Kindly suggest.

Thanks in advance.

@ajuvignesh I guess the forum is a bit slow today dude to Ganapati festival. I use a Belkin power strip to plug in all my audio equipment. I also use a Microtek inverter/ battery as my power backup. Have not had any problems so far, and i get plenty of time to shut down equipment.
Hope someone else pitches in to guide you better

I would go with option 1. The quality of current matters. Unless you go for online UPS, normal ups will not protect you much. I don't recommend online UPS as they are extremely noisy.

@ajuvignesh I guess the forum is a bit slow today dude to Ganapati festival. I use a Belkin power strip to plug in all my audio equipment. I also use a Microtek inverter/ battery as my power backup. Have not had any problems so far, and i get plenty of time to shut down equipment.
Hope someone else pitches in to guide you better
Thanks for the input, tuff. I totally forgot about the festival and member attendance :)

I would go with option 1. The quality of current matters. Unless you go for online UPS, normal ups will not protect you much. I don't recommend online UPS as they are extremely noisy.
Thanks matbhuvi. Is the abrupt power failure safe for the AVR?

IMHO no issues if it is abrupt power shutdown occationaly.
most of the dealers never suggest UPS for AVR Eg - UPS for AVR
The electricity here is pretty much stable
You can directly go ahead with normal stabilizer.
I own 3 nos of Digi 200 in my setup.So far no issues as such.
V guard Digi 200 and Belkin surge protector close the chapter.
off the Topic but - Don't connect setup box HDMI cable to AVR ( most of the cases Setup box HDMI leads to HDMI board failure in AVR )
instead try connecting optical for Setup box.
Atb

I don't think so. Electronic products are always best kept if shutdown properly. If you have recurrent power loss then it could cause failure of hdmi board or other electronics.
I recommend you to first try it with your current home inverter and check when the electricity cut happens if your inverter has instantaneous switch and doesn't let your avr shutdown then you should be able to shutdown the AVR and not worry about running it on square wave for a couple of minutes while shutting down. But would recommend not to use for long on the inverter backup. If it doesn't switch instantaneously and causes your avr to shutdown abruptly then you have 2 options -
1. either upgrade your inverter to a ups sinewave inverter which you eventually want to do and use a good Spike protector power strip.
2. Or use a good ups like apc which will give power backup as well as has inbuilt Spike protector and voltage regulator.

IMHO no issues if it is abrupt power shutdown occationaly.
Sir no offense but I don't understand why people say so. Be it computer, PS4, cctv, avr etc. These things have sensitive components and firmware. I feel that a power backup (inverter/ups) is highly necessary for a safe shutdown so that they don't malfunction due to recurrent abnormal turning off.
And I'm talking about just turning it off after power outage and not using it continuously.

Sir no offense but I don't understand why people say so.
It is purely IMHO.
Suggestion given Considering the cost of AVR he has and purely on my experience.
Instead of using under powered /Improper ups better he can go with stabilizer as op has mention powersupply is much stable in his place.
First of all op did not mention about the power rating of ups which he has and the load already connected to it/which he is planning to connect after New ups upgrade.
I Wont suggest to buy UPS for more than half the price of AVR which he exactly reqd.
If you use under powered/ improper UPS it will lead to Component failure not immediately over period of time.
It's up to you/Him taking the suggestion.
Hope it's being a Forum anybody can give their suggestion.
I recommend you to first try it with your current home inverter and check when the electricity cut happens if your inverter has instantaneous switch and doesn't let your avr shutdown then you should be able to shutdown the AVR and not worry about running it on square wave for a couple of minutes while shutting down.
I won't recommned this being an technical person.
Accidents may not happen after mins it need fraction of sec.may be you can give it a try if it has slow blow fuses/just a basic transformer inside but here it is AVR which consists of fast blow fuses and most of them has Smps into it .
ATB

I have installed an APC UPS (costed me 9000+) BR1000G model I think which gives 1KVA backup. All my units are connected to it and when there is a power cut I can slowly turn off all my equipments. It has 6 sockets (4 with UPS and 2 with only Surge) Should be enough for all your equipments.

It is purely IMHO.
Suggestion given Considering the cost of AVR he has and purely on my experience.
Instead of using under powered /Improper ups better he can go with stabilizer as op has mention powersupply is much stable in his place.
First of all op did not mention about the power rating of ups which he has and the load already connected to it/which he is planning to connect after New ups upgrade.
I Wont suggest to buy UPS for more than half the price of AVR which he exactly reqd.
If you use under powered/ improper UPS it will lead to Component failure not immediately over period of time.
It's up to you/Him taking the suggestion.
Hope it's being a Forum anybody can give their suggestion.

I won't recommned this being an technical person.
Accidents may not happen after mins it need fraction of sec.may be you can give it a try if it has slow blow fuses/just a basic transformer inside but here it is AVR which consists of fast blow fuses and most of them has Smps into it .
ATB
Thanks for explaining so patiently. I am definitely not a technical person and needed to understand the reason behind the suggestion.

The electricity here is pretty much stable.

Then there isn't a need to worry.. Are you sure the voltage doesn't drop in the summer nights?..

what could be a cheap and/or a better way to protect the AVR?

Since you already have backup at home, plug the AVR -> stabiliser -> power socket that has backup.. You should be able to do graceful shutdown of the device.. I do it like this at home for my Denon x 3300, rated 600 Watts power consumption.. Though the inverter shows 100% use with in few seconds of power cut, i switch off the AVR (stand-by) in less than 30 seconds.. So avoiding abrupt shutdown..

Hello,

I would like to give my 2 paise worth:

1. Square wave supply is not good and if its a decade old, you should replace it with a better one. Square wave generates harmonic distortion and EMI. Its bad for Fans, LED lights and in general for everything. You will be doing a good cause to the neighbors and to the state electricity board and yourself if you get rid of it.

2. Get a good UPS. Microtech is one of the very good brands. APC is one of the best! Get a good brand of battery. Excide is one of the reputed ones although there are equally good new brands too. Avoid local brands both for UPS and battery.

3. Though it can be argued on case to case basis if proper shutdown sequence is necessary or not, it is a good habit to get into, to shutdown every equipment with the best possible sequence/ procedure.

4. AVRs and computers have an SMPS and should be able to handle voltage fluctuations. However most are rated for 90V to 240V and do no good to Indian users. I congratulate Indian brands that offer SMPS rated anywhere from 190V to 210V on the low side and 260 to 270V on the high side and boo multinationals for staying restricted to 240V on the high side.

Also, no back-up/ stabilizer is always better than bad back-up/ stabilizer.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Can this kind of UPS with inbuilt battery be able to handle power supply for 2-5 minutes till the time backup generator kick-in. Equipments to be connected are as under:
Denon receiver 2400H
Xbox One S
Pioneer Blue ray 160
Panasonic 55" LED TV
Tata Sky set top box
Fire TV Stick

Appreciate your help.

If your general voltage situation is stable then a reputed brand stabilizer with correct rating is all you need.

The only thing that can do with a ups is your computer and WiFi router. For everything else the stabilizer suggested by FM @reachkalyan.kr above is sufficient.

MaSh.

Last edited:
My TV, AVR, Blu Ray player...none of them had ups backup. Bangalore's power cuts are unpredictable. Chennai was even worse. Never had issue with any of my electronics. I do have ups for my PC because it's shitty software can get corrupt. There is nothing like that in the HT. Unless you have a projector which would require a cooling period for the bulb, I don't see any issues with power cuts.

Sorry for the delay. Thanks reachkalyan.kr, Dr.Lakshay, Elango,Ravindra Desai, tuff, Mash and matbhuvi for your inputs.
My existing ups is 600 VA square wave ups. It comfortably ran 6 ceiling fans in full speed in ups mode. Also, it ran my 124 W TV, a celiling fan at full speed, 110 W led and a class AB 230W subwoofer (no input). Guess, it can handle my AVR requirements. However, when the ups took the charge from mains, there seem to be a drop in voltage. The fans started to slow down.

I am planning to disconnect the ups from the socket and connect the AVR to mains through a good computer CPU for now and upgrade the home UPS later-solars ups are gaining momentum and it is worth to wait for a few more months, I guess. How good is APC BX600CI? It costs almost same as a good stabiliser+surge protecter and has about 200 joule energy rating similar to belkins entry level surge protector. Or still a stabiliser is better? V guard VG crystal suits well.
off the Topic but - Don't connect setup box HDMI cable to AVR ( most of the cases Setup box HDMI leads to HDMI board failure in AVR )
instead try connecting optical for Setup box.

Thanks for the caution. There seem to be some compatibility issues between the AVR and my Sanyo TV. Also, the TV doesn't return Dolby digital through Hdmi. So, I have to connect the AVR either through HDMI or through optical cable. I guess, will go with optical cable. How about connecting chromecast, a MacBook Pro or a dell laptop directly to the AVR?

Then there isn't a need to worry.. Are you sure the voltage doesn't drop in the summer nights
It depends. My place is densely occupied by coconut and other trees. Its is a bit uncertain what happens when. Otherwise stable. The electricity power station is 5 kilometres away and that can be a reason for stable power. The house is protected with circuit breakers for added protection. Summer is no different. Only 1/10 houses have ACs here. My 1 ton Hitachi runs fine during summer.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back