Confused need help...Yamaha RX-V481/ RX-V581 with Fluance speakers

Chetu2109

Hi, new guy here and my first post I think.

I am in the US and have brought the Fluance SX6 bookshelf 8ohms, and will be buying it's fluance center too and a polk sub 10inch may be... since my room is not quite big(10x18) front speaker to sofa is around 8feet so I will not be putting in a tower right away.

Now I want the setup to be 5.1 to begin with(may be 7.1 later) as I ll be using it for both music and movies. I want to know if Yamaha Rx-V581 would be good match for the Fluance speakers or would be too bright or too warm for them? I have read that Yamaha RX-V series is warm and soothing as it is, is this right info? and would I be good to go with a 1kva SDT(Stepdown trans) to use this system with RX-V581 and the Polk sub, with both needing around saying 700 watts?

Also I have a pair of good bookshelf speakers around 12 years old from a sharp audio system but 6ohm which sound good even now can I use these as rear speakers? Or would it be an issue considering my fluance front and center with 8ohm and rear at 6ohm?

All your inputs are highly appreciated and thank you

Hi, new guy here and my first post I think.

I am in the US and have brought the Fluance SX6 bookshelf 8ohms, and will be buying it's fluance center too and a polk sub 10inch may be... since my room is not quite big(10x18) front speaker to sofa is around 8feet so I will not be putting in a tower right away.

Wc to the forum. Would be good to match the fronts & center from the same brand & family..

Now I want the setup to be 5.1 to begin with(may be 7.1 later) as I ll be using it for both music and movies. I want to know if Yamaha Rx-V581 would be good match for the Fluance speakers or would be too bright or too warm for them? I have read that Yamaha RX-V series is warm and soothing as it is, is this right info?

Don't know abt the pairing, but don't worry.. it wouldn't sound bad either..

and would I be good to go with a 1kva SDT(Stepdown trans) to use this system with RX-V581 and the Polk sub, with both needing around saying 700 watts?

Will skip this, as i have not used the SDT/nor aware of wattage ratings..

Also I have a pair of good bookshelf speakers around 12 years old from a sharp audio system but 6ohm which sound good even now can I use these as rear speakers? Or would it be an issue considering my fluance front and center with 8ohm and rear at 6ohm?

All your inputs are highly appreciated and thank you

You can have different speakers as surrounds..

Have you checked this - https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Surr...F8&qid=1480952487&sr=8-3&keywords=Fluance+SX6

A suggestion - Consider this package inplace of sub.. If you have not used the bookshelf that you have purchased, may be you can return them and get this..

This has the BS that you already bought, a center & surrounds...You can use the smaller speakers in any config..

Wc to the forum. Would be good to match the fronts & center from the same brand & family..

Have you checked this - https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Surr...F8&qid=1480952487&sr=8-3&keywords=Fluance+SX6

A suggestion - Consider this package inplace of sub.. If you have not used the bookshelf that you have purchased, may be you can return them and get this..

This has the BS that you already bought, a center & surrounds...You can use the smaller speakers in any config..

Thx Elangoas, I will see if I can return and get that pkg. Nice find by the way :clapping:

Also, I see some slick deals for old AVRs, like 5+ years old and mostly without hdmi, but would it be easier to manage movies without hdmi and if I want surround sound on movies from a bluray?

Thx Elangoas for your valuable inputs. I have few more Qs.

Would it be wise to buy an old receiver like 5+ years old with no hdmi and mostly composite audio/video and optical inputs and second hand as my frist receiver? Is there anyway for me to watch movies with surround sound encoding using such an old AVR... as dolby and newer formats need hdmi or a optical input I believe.

Or would it be wise to just bite the bullet and spend high on an AVR right now with many hdmi ports, atmos and the fare.

Thank you

Thanks elagoas...
I have few Qs to follow.

Should I settle for buying an old avr without hdmi or bluetooth, but with dolby, dolby hd master audio etc... As I see a few in CL here. Or should I spend around $400 or 450 and get an AVR which has atmos, 4k and all hdmi ports and stuff...I still will be watching all the movies but since I don't yet have a full 5.1 setup and it may take sometime to get there am thinking should I invest so much upfront on a new avr and get something for cheap within 100$. I have heard that old avrs put out a lot of good sound though they miss all latest bells and whistles(bluetooth, hdmi etc.).

Thx again.

Thanks elagoas...
I have few Qs to follow.

Should I settle for buying an old avr without hdmi or bluetooth, but with dolby, dolby hd master audio etc... As I see a few in CL here. Or should I spend around $400 or 450 and get an AVR which has atmos, 4k and all hdmi ports and stuff...I still will be watching all the movies but since I don't yet have a full 5.1 setup and it may take sometime to get there am thinking should I invest so much upfront on a new avr and get something for cheap within 100$. I have heard that old avrs put out a lot of good sound though they miss all latest bells and whistles(bluetooth, hdmi etc.).

Thx again.

No, either get the latest you can afford or the most basic one that has HDMI, HDMI standby pass through, basic Dolby and DTS decoders, Auto Setup software, front pre outs, etc. else the upgrade bug will hit you very soon.

MaSh

Also, I see some slick deals for old AVRs, like 5+ years old and mostly without hdmi, but would it be easier to manage movies without hdmi and if I want surround sound on movies from a bluray?

5+ years old.. Skip them i would say, if you are getting it from US..

Would it be wise to buy an old receiver like 5+ years old with no hdmi and mostly composite audio/video and optical inputs and second hand as my frist receiver? Is there anyway for me to watch movies with surround sound encoding using such an old AVR... as dolby and newer formats need hdmi or a optical input I believe.

Or would it be wise to just bite the bullet and spend high on an AVR right now with many hdmi ports, atmos and the fare. Thank you

If you are getting on old AVR, i would suggest you to pick it in India, your city from forum members. This way you can avoid STD. You can easily source a not so old AVR with has HDMI capability and HD audio decoding..

Should I settle for buying an old avr without hdmi or bluetooth, but with dolby, dolby hd master audio etc... As I see a few in CL here. Or should I spend around $400 or 450 and get an AVR which has atmos, 4k and all hdmi ports and stuff...I still will be watching all the movies but since I don't yet have a full 5.1 setup and it may take sometime to get there am thinking should I invest so much upfront on a new avr and get something for cheap within 100$. I have heard that old avrs put out a lot of good sound though they miss all latest bells and whistles(bluetooth, hdmi etc.). Thx again.

Same as above.. Instead pick a sub in place of AVR..Some subs have dual voltage capacity.. Pick something like that, so that you don't have to get STD..

Finish your 7.1 set-up and then upgrade your AVR at the last - Juz my thoughts..

Thanks guys I'll come to an informed decision after your valuable inputs, and sorry for multiple posts, the site kept not showing my posts and i kept on churning multiple posts around the same points.

How's this look RX-V671 - RX-V - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States it's s Yamaha rx v 671, has hdmi, does all dolby formats and I think has a good output from what I read.

After RX V x71 series, there was x73, x75, x77, x79 and now x81.. You are picking a 5 year old AVR.. It is not capable of Dolby Atmos (or) Dts X..

Anyways what is your budget for AVR?

Also elangoas and mash do you know any subwoofers with dual voltage inputs? I couldn't find any in a quick search.

Here is one subwoofer - https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-12...=1481126178&sr=1-2&keywords=klipsch+subwoofer

check the 3rd image, and zoom it, you can see it is 100-240V..

Or it might be mentioned 110/220v with a switch.. Just browse some common brands and scroll thru the images...

After RX V x71 series, there was x73, x75, x77, x79 and now x81.. You are picking a 5 year old AVR.. It is not capable of Dolby Atmos (or) Dts X..

Anyways what is your budget for AVR?

Here is one subwoofer - https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-12...=1481126178&sr=1-2&keywords=klipsch+subwoofer

check the 3rd image, and zoom it, you can see it is 100-240V..

Or it might be mentioned 110/220v with a switch.. Just browse some common brands and scroll thru the images...

I am sure I cannot do atmos with my room config right away, hence to start off small and then get something big enough. Right now am not looking for a great AVR just something that I can build on, so am thinking to start of with a 5.1 and then may be move onto 7.1 and atmos some day.

So I really don't have budget for avr, just some basic needs like 7.1, with Dolby and other surround sound formats... and I am getting this AVR for a 100$.

Can I still get cinematic surround sound effects with dolby and dolby master audio etc. while say playing a bluray? Or should I have a receiver capable of DTS X for that?

Also, I read that HDMI is needed for the AVR to get all of surround sound data( so can't use RCA or optical inputs?) is that correct?

I am sure I cannot do atmos with my room config right away, hence to start off small and then get something big enough.

Even a small 150 sqft room can be made for Atmos/ Dts X..

What are your room dimensions?

Simplest of Atmos set-up would be standard 5.1 layout + 2 overhead/ front height speakers, which is easy in any room..

Right now am not looking for a great AVR just something that I can build on, so am thinking to start of with a 5.1 and then may be move onto 7.1 and atmos some day.

So I really don't have budget for avr, just some basic needs like 7.1, with Dolby and other surround sound formats... and I am getting this AVR for a 100$.

I understand that you are trying to save by picking an $100 AVR, but you will also need a SDT, which is an additional cost..

For the above equated cost, you can buy used stuff from FM here when you back in India..

Choice is yours..

Can I still get cinematic surround sound effects with dolby and dolby master audio etc. while say playing a bluray? Or should I have a receiver capable of DTS X for that?

You don't need an AVR with Dts X, any AVR with Dolby True HD & DTS HD-MA will do thru HDMI.

Also, I read that HDMI is needed for the AVR to get all of surround sound data( so can't use RCA or optical inputs?) is that correct?

For HD Audio & videos, HDMI does it with a single cable between devices.. You can still use optical, but that wont support lossless Audio (Dolby True HD & DTS HD-MA).

Even a small 150 sqft room can be made for Atmos/ Dts X..

What are your room dimensions?

Simplest of Atmos set-up would be standard 5.1 layout + 2 overhead/ front height speakers, which is easy in any room..

I understand that you are trying to save by picking an $100 AVR, but you will also need a SDT, which is an additional cost..

For the above equated cost, you can buy used stuff from FM here when you back in India..

Choice is yours..

You don't need an AVR with Dts X, any AVR with Dolby True HD & DTS HD-MA will do thru HDMI.

For HD Audio & videos, HDMI does it with a single cable between devices.. You can still use optical, but that wont support lossless Audio (Dolby True HD & DTS HD-MA).

Thank you for your patience Elongas.

My room is my living room- quite big enough- but there is no wiring done in the walls in the ceiling all around the wiring ends in the corners of the ceiling- guess not a right place for atmos? Also, do FM have all wiring in the wall generally speaking? it's quite tough to get it done in India once the house is built :sad:

Totatlly agree, the headache of a SDT etc is quite paramount.

Can I get a decent AVR like the 671, my main needs being both for music and movies... a 7.1 channel(hoping to atleast move to 7.1 if not atmos someday), support for lossless dolby formats and bluetooth would be good. I wouldn't mind not having wifi etc. I am searching through the forum but would you know any of that stuff say within 20+/-3K. In fact not having bluetooth is fine too I guess. As I am sure we can find bluetooth receivers that connect to usb or rca or hdmi as an external adapter.

Last edited:
Thank you for your patience Elongas.

My room is my living room- quite big enough- but there is no wiring done in the walls in the ceiling all around the wiring ends in the corners of the ceiling- guess not a right place for atmos? Also, do FM have all wiring in the wall generally speaking? it's quite tough to get it done in India once the house is built :sad:

Most of us have it in the living room.. Few, have the exception of dedicated rooms..

It is ok if your house is not wired for 7.1 set-up.. There are workarounds, which can hide wires in the form of plastic casing..

Totatlly agree, the headache of a SDT etc is quite paramount.

Can I get a decent AVR like the 671, my main needs being both for music and movies... a 7.1 channel(hoping to atleast move to 7.1 if not atmos someday), support for lossless dolby formats and bluetooth would be good. I wouldn't mind not having wifi etc. I am searching through the forum but would you know any of that stuff say within 20+/-3K. In fact not having bluetooth is fine too I guess. As I am sure we can find bluetooth receivers that connect to usb or rca or hdmi as an external adapter.

for your budget of 20 - 25K max, you can get good deals on used AVR here from FM.. Open a "Wanted thread" in the forum under classifieds and you would get offers.. Pick the one that suits you, after you check them..

Hi,
Yamaha RX V671 is a good receiver. It can upscale videos to 1080p. My friend is using it, sounds good, USB audio clarity is too good. It is a 7 channel amp with 90 watts/ 8 ohms.

Hi,
Yamaha RX V671 is a good receiver. It can upscale videos to 1080p. My friend is using it, sounds good, USB audio clarity is too good. It is a 7 channel amp with 90 watts/ 8 ohms.

Thx for the inputs Vijay. Is he using a stepdown transformer with it? Or did he buy it in India and supports 220V automatically?

Hi

Keep a look out in For Sale by Owner and Hifiads.com for good deals....you may just find what you are looking for

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back