Confusion in selecting Home Theatre..

vaathyaar

Hi Friends..
This is my 1st post in hifivision. I want to purchase a ((HEAVY)) Home theater to my newly build home. At 1st I choose Sony HT_M5. But surfing in net, I confused of knowing YAMAHA, PIONEER, DENON, ONKYO.. Most of this brands are having only receivers. I dont know how to select speakers for those receivers. So that I preferred Sony. Because it comes with Heavy speakers. Anyway I am ready to purchase these brands if friends of Hifivision help me to select a RIGHT and BEST one (with speakers).

Friends.. To me, "The product which I own should be the 1st in my Area." (Like a Trend setter) I should be the 1st person to use this kind of different Brands (but should be Heavy). The reason why I mention the word HEAVY many times because I love to hear Good HEAVY Quality SOUND. I am near to Chennai. And my budget is 50K.

One advice on heavy. Loud and heavy sound is not always the best sound. Your system should be able to produce every single note with clarity, it should never be loud it should be clear. STAY AWAY from Sony. And YAMAHAs do come with speaker packages as well along with AVR, i am sure Onkyo or Pioneer also come in AVR+Speaker packages.
I own a YAMAHA YHT 299 and even at low volumes it can produce good quality sound, at higher volume its a theater like experience and it cost me 35K. Considering your budget of 50K, you should be able to get much better system.
If possible, take some Blu Rays with you when you go for Demo, a couple of movies and then some music. Play those and then see which one you like more, but stay away from Sony/Phillips. Buy a system with AVR and an active sub.

You can even go with Denon 1312XP HTiB ( Home theater in a Box )... since u have a budet of 50 K .. you will get a nice setup ( Separate AVR and Speakers ) there are mutiple threads in this topic.. invest some time .. You may also consider pre owned setup from fellow members, I am sure u will get many options since you are in south.. Check out for sale by owners section For Sale by Owner

Thanks to skul82, emmarbee and coolguy for their reply.
Friends, Yesterday I visit Reliance Digital in Chennai. their I experienced some Demo of Sony-M5, Pioneer RS33 and RS53 and Denon. All these four AVR+Speakers, my mind feels good on RS33. Cost of RS33 is also good (40K) comparing to M5(51K) and RS53(54). Denon goes under 40K. Apart from the cost I liked RS33. Is my selection good or I need much more search in selecting a good AVR+Speakers?

I am doing my official work so that I can N'joy 31st night ( new year eve ):yahoo:.. and checking HIFIVision as well .. :lol:

SP-DIF (Sony/Panasonic Digital InterFace) is the same as Digital Coaxial.
You just need a high end RCA cable to connect SP-DIF out to Digital Coaxial In.

Last edited:
hi all,
i am new to HT. can you suggest me a good HT below 30K.
i mostly use for movies & gaming. what are things to consider while buying HT.

One brand which outdoes all the ones mentioned in this thread so far (the standard mass market brands denon, pioneer, etc) is Marantz.

Onkyo and Yamaha have stepped up their game in recent released AVRs but still Marantz sound is balanced with better air reproduction around instruments, more delicate details.

Marantz receivers at the same price points will provide much more musical sound with space and dimension around instruments. Marantz will have less gimmick features which is also good.

Several years ago the parent company of Denon bought Marantz but Marantz has still maintained its uniqueness and not fallen to one bass note lows and thin and dimensionless sound that is common to Denon.

Marantz is at the top of the mid-fi heap by quite a margin. I love NAD but their sound, while very good, is just a bit dark and heavy loosing some delicate details on instruments and space around instruments. Next step up is Cambridge Audio, Arcam...

Last edited:
Anyone please answer... Where can I have demo for Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha in Chennai?

onkyo. denon and yamaha will be available at reliance digital , croma etc .

i would personally suggest to go with rs33 speaker package and pioneer vsx 323 AVR and you will be happy for next few years...

hi all,

around 30 you can get yamaha yht 199 , onkyo etc. if you can increase your budget a bit you can get the running models of onkyo for 34-35k. similar stuff available in denon and yamaha too. almost all have similar specs. take a demo and decide.

hi all,

if you could go a little higher (35-37K) Yamaha YHT 299 is a gr8 system. I am having a gr8 time with mine. It is much better than Yamaha 199 (25K).

Harmon has a good package for 50k which includes AVR 70 and matching speakers for the same. You can check that too

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back