Connecting 2 amps to 1 pair of speakers

zoozoo

Hello FMs

Please help answer one query.
Present Scenario: I have a 2 channel amp connected to a pair of Jamo C809 floor standing speakers. The speakers have 2 pairs of connectors at the back. I have connected the 2 channel amp to one pair and the 2nd pair is free on both the speakers.

Question : If I buy an AVR, can I connect the above speakers as fronts to the AVR, without removing the 2 channel amplifier ? So when I want to watch movies I switch on my AVR with the sound output from front speakers & when I want to listen to music I can switch on my 2 channel amp with the music output from same front speakers.

Thanks in advance for a reply to my query.

Why not connect the fronts with banana plugs and switch them when and how needed. This way only one amp stays connected, no risk of boo boo's. There are some switches I have seen online but never used any so do not have much to say.

Banana plugs is the most value for money solution. You could also get an amp that has front pre out. You could then connect the pre out from receiver to either mains in of your stereo amp if it has them or to a other input like Aux or CD on the stereo amp. This way just switching sources on your stereo amp will help.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

if you want convenience, buy a 4PDT switch from an electrical shop (or 1 DPDT switch (this one is your regular staircase type power switch) per channel) , and then put in a box + wiring.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Would surely try the options. Tell me what will happen if I connect the AVR to one pair of binding posts of the speakers and the stereo amp to the other pair.
1. Will there be no sound in both the cases ?
2. Will the amplifiers stop working ?
3. Any other reason.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back