Connecting 2 routers wirelessly

sidvee

As per my title, I am trying to connect 2 routers wirelessly using WDS bridging. However the connection on the receiving router keeps dropping. Perhaps due to the signal strength of the primary router which is located 1 floor below. However all my computers get a strong wifi signal without any issues and speed is also not affected (which are located on the same floor as the secondary router ). Can any one suggest a better router perhaps, that has greater sensitivity, or any other method to make WDS work properly.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Sid

You can't go wrong with Asus RT-AC68/86U. It's probably one of the best routers available in the consumer segments. Moreover, ASUS has its proprietary algorithm to connect two routers to extend the range, which works beautifully.

In a multi-floor environment using a mesh network is easy and much more manageable. You could also use multiple WAP if you have a LAN option as that would be more efficient than trying to do wireless extension.

In a multi-floor environment using a mesh network is easy and much more manageable. You could also use multiple WAP if you have a LAN option as that would be more efficient than trying to do wireless extension.
I have no idea how to do that, let me google it.
Cheers,
Sid

Like @sud98 said, you need mesh network in a space like yours. I am mesh connected in my house. I use both Netgear Orbi as well as Asus Zen Wifi which is AX6. You'll basically get a set of one router and two or one satellite hubs. They talk to each other and prolong the signal throughout. Read up a little. However, because of the nature of thick walls we have in India, we sometimes need the satellites closer to each other than say in the US or Europe. But for sure that's what you could work with. But through open spaces, they can cover large areas, say if your router is in the living room, the satellite will have very little issue catching the signal on the first-floor landing.

Even mesh routers need to be placed closer than their theoretical distance due to our concrete buildings. I recommend using a powerline adapter if you can't connect using CAT6 cable. But that needs to be tried out first. In some cases, where circuits are different for different floors, powerline adapters doesn't work.
If you are investing on new routers for AX (WiFi 6), mesh routers as they have a separate back haul frequency to connect the satellites

Mesh network is the way to go but if connecting each one of them through wi-fi reduce the bandwidth speed?

what's the budget for router/s?
Mesh routers do amazing job! even the very affordable ones like Marcus's Halo 12 (set of 3)
Not really planned anything budget wise but upto 10-15k is ok I guess. I will check out options on Amazon.
Sid it totally depends on the connection you have. To give you an example, I have YOU Broadband and Jio at home. With YOU Broadband I need only a router and no modem, So I use Asus ZenWifi mesh routers for this. On the other hand, with JIO, you have to use their fibre modem, in which case my Orbi mesh routers need to be in AP mode. By the way, I have 2 Orbi Routers and 4 Satellites working together to provide a stable 1 Gbps connection. The walls in my house are concrete and it's not easy for wireless to penetrate, so I keep one just outside so it connects comfortably. My music and HT are all ethernet connected.
Hi,
FYI u can combine those two internet with single enterprise router and can load balance as per ur wish and use the other isp seamless failover connection.
And I had similar issues as well regarding stability. However I do not have the option of running physical cables, as it is we had to make a few holes to get the connection to the first floor, and my HT is in 2nd floor, so even making holes will require some sort of scaffolding etc.
Hi,
my suggestion will be hardwire and use mesh as last resort , go with affordable individual access point and there are some brands which u never can go wrong , some budget products usually hangs after one week or 10 days so need a occasional reboot but not with those enterprise products they run rock solid. network cable wiring will be future proof and mesh introduce further latency incase u using that for online gaming also need to be considered.

So just for my understanding I still have to have a basic modem connected to my ISP connection, and then add the 1st mesh router device to it and spread the rest around the house. Is that correct?
I am thinking of something like this:
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited by a moderator:
@sidvee I had a similar problem. I have Jio Fiber with 150 Mbps speed. I have taken LAN cable from the 4th floor to the 3rd floor where my dedicated HT is located. The speed used to drop down to less than 100 Mbps with Tp Link Archer C6 router using as Access Point on the 3rd floor. I configured it following a Youtube video. On checking the cable closely, realized the cable crimping was not done correctly. Please check your cables. Use at least Cat6 and get it crimped by an experienced guy. You don't need to speed 10K for the router. you can go with a sub 10k router and get the same speed as your main modem.

So just for my understanding I still have to have a basic modem connected to my ISP connection, and then add the 1st mesh router device to it and spread the rest around the house. Is that correct?
Cheers,
Sid
Yes. But for a really high quality network, connect them using Lan, then you dont have to bother about line of sight.

I'm using Asus AX3000 as primary which is connected to my jio fiber modem and Asus AX55 which is placed in first floor(other end of the house) connected via ethernet cable to the primary router. Now every corner in my house is getting full sign without issues.

P.S I had tried netgear orbi rbk50, rbk753 and tplink deco x60..and asus zenwifi XT8 before settled with above asus models..my plan was to connect two routers wireless which had stability issues..so went for asus routers and connected them using ethernet cables.

I'm using Asus AX3000 as primary which is connected to my jio fiber modem and Asus AX55 which is placed in first floor(other end of the house) connected via ethernet cable to the primary router. Now every corner in my house is getting full sign without issues.

P.S I had tried netgear orbi rbk50, rbk753 and tplink deco x60..and asus zenwifi XT8 before settled with above asus models..my plan was to connect two routers wireless which had stability issues..so went for asus routers and connected them using ethernet cables.
And I had similar issues as well regarding stability. However I do not have the option of running physical cables, as it is we had to make a few holes to get the connection to the first floor, and my HT is in 2nd floor, so even making holes will require some sort of scaffolding etc.
Cheers,
Sid

Cheers,
Sid
Yes

This will solve your network issues for sure

Cheers,
Sid
Sid it totally depends on the connection you have. To give you an example, I have YOU Broadband and Jio at home. With YOU Broadband I need only a router and no modem, So I use Asus ZenWifi mesh routers for this. On the other hand, with JIO, you have to use their fibre modem, in which case my Orbi mesh routers need to be in AP mode. By the way, I have 2 Orbi Routers and 4 Satellites working together to provide a stable 1 Gbps connection. The walls in my house are concrete and it's not easy for wireless to penetrate, so I keep one just outside so it connects comfortably. My music and HT are all ethernet connected.

Hi,
FYI u can combine those two internet with single enterprise router and can load balance as per ur wish and use the other isp seamless failover connection
Can you tell me a product that can do that and how do I further these connections to rooms where only wireless is feasible?

I did not buy this exactly but I bought the Cisco RV340, and I am connected through ethernet. There are two different ISPs going into it. I tried load balancing as well as failover, but the speeds are pretty much the same as it was through Orbi and Asus ZenFi mesh. The only good thing I achieved is all routers now get both the ISPs. That's a good thing.

I did not buy this exactly but I bought the Cisco RV340, and I am connected through ethernet. There are two different ISPs going into it. I tried load balancing as well as failover, but the speeds are pretty much the same as it was through Orbi and Asus ZenFi mesh. The only good thing I achieved is all routers now get both the ISPs. That's a good thing.
what you have is a powerful one yes u can combine these two loads but it depends on the web applications u use as many don't support multiple connections at once but u can take advantage when u do heavy downloads

If your'e able to stretch yourself to ASUS AX range it's worth going for, works really well in Mesh mode.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back