connecting sony speakers with AV. please guide

Murlidher

Recently i have bought a LG 42 inch smart TV and i want to add a HT to it for watching movies & occasional music hearing.

Initially I thought of connecting my sony mini hi-fi gnz88d to it while watching movies. Unfortunately the sony music system doesn't have a HDMI connectivity and my LED TV only has a Headphone port to connect via RCA to my music system. Obviously I don't get that desired sound output.

Now my question is instead of spending money on speakers again, i would like to use these 5 speakers that came along with sony music system on to a AV receiver so that I can watch movies through pendrive by connecting to LED tv and hear the sound through sony speakers via my new AV receiver.

Is it possible. If so, which one would take these speakers. Its 320W RMS (100W x 2 + 40W x 3). My options are Yamaha YHT 299 or V377 or Denon AVR X 500.

I also have 5.1 system (bought 4-5 years ago) in good condition which also has RCA connectivity with TV. With all these already at home, can't imagine buying so many things again with already invested good amount in TV. To save myself , I need a decent entry level receiver which would use these speakers at home for a decent sound experience

kindly guide as i'm new to the technical wordings.

Regards
Murlidher.

Last edited:
Yamaha 299 is a full HTIB with AVR and speakers. You can use the Sony speakers to connect to AVR, but the main problem with these speakers is their impedance which is usually 3ohms or 4 ohms. AVRs usually support 6 or 8 ohms.

Thanks for the reply. This is the specification i got from sony's manual:

Front speaker - 100W + 100W - 4 ohms at 1 khz, 10% THD
Center speaker - 40 W - 8 ohms at 1 khz, 10% THD
Surround speaker - 40w + 40w - 8 ohms at 1 khz, 10% THD

can you please suggest entry level Yamaha / Denon AVR which can support the above specifications. For e.g. RX V 377 or Denon AVR X 500. As you can see i really want to save money from purchasing speakers but the use the existing one with the AVR so that I can watch my movies through my LED TV connecting directly to my AVR. (Note: i don't have blu ray player and i guess I don't need it as I can play movies through my LED USB)

Regards
V..S Murlidher.

Thanks for the reply. What would happen if I try to hear sound using these avr with my Sony speakers with slight difference in ohms ?
Also if I can play movies through my led USB , do I really need blue ray player?

When I first bought my avr, I used my sony speakers SS H501 for sometimes as fronts and finally replaced them with Sonodyne BS. Currently using those sony speakers as rears.

This is a image of a similar speaker from the net.

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the reply. What would happen if I try to hear sound using these avr with my Sony speakers with slight difference in ohms ?
Also if I can play movies through my led USB , do I really need blue ray player?

Sony speakers/crossovers are designed according to their main unit, definitely you can't get best of AVR from these Sony speakers, however you can use for the meantime and can buy speakers later whenever you have good budget or buy speakers one by one. e.g. buy Center Speaker first, then Fronts, then Sub/Surrounds.

For movies you can use TV USB, and use Optical cable from TV to AVR to get the Digital signal from TV to AVR. Also check if your TV supports huge file sizes and plays flawlessly otherwise you can go for any media player (WD Live etc.)

If you want to get in Blu-ray business (which is expensive of course, discs costs minimum 300/-to 1500/- per movie) then you can buy Blu-ray player.
But I would suggest any individual Media player which supports all AV file formats and have internal storage (1TB) too.

Thanks. Instead of using optical can't I use HDMI ARC to be connected to my AVR to use the audio quality? Will there be any quality difference.?
Thanks again for all responses... Slowly I am getting some bit of knowledge...

Thanks. Instead of using optical can't I use HDMI ARC to be connected to my AVR to use the audio quality? Will there be any quality difference.?
Thanks again for all responses... Slowly I am getting some bit of knowledge...

Yes, If your TV supports ARC then you can. Otherwise that is the option. Using HDMI ARC makes no difference.

Great.. I have two options in my mind...
Go for YHT 299 with all speakers or buy RXV377 and use existing Sony speakers for some time... As both are in same price range...

Go for YHT 299 with all speakers or buy RXV377 and use existing Sony speakers for some time... As both are in same price range...

Yes, Even I am using YHT-299, bought 5 days back :D

If you have limited budget then I think you should go for 299, as it has all speakers+subwoofer too, but if you go for 377 you have to buy speakers separately.

Even initially I wanted to opt for a HTIB within 25-30K like Onkyo or Yamaha. I came to this forum for some opinion. I decided to go for separate and ended up spending more than a lakh. :yahoo::eek:hyeah:

If you have limited budget or if you don't want to cross your budget, stick to HTIB and don't visit this forum before buying it. :clapping:

Lol... Thanks for all suggestions....

I have 3 music systems at home right now and pity none of them are compatible with the latest technologies and only has RCA connectivity.

One side family is suggesting to sell these before going for new AVR. Somehow I am attached to these as well, as they are still working great and wanted to use them for future bed room led tv (!!!) and connect them and use them as spared for any future purpose. :eek:hyeah:

Most likely would go for YHT-299... I am from Bangalore and planning to visit any reliance digital mart near by to get it or VIA snapdeal. As I read from few forum members, reliance are offering free blu ray player offer. not sure if its still ON. :sad:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back