Cosmic Lab Series

mishmash04

Hi Everyone,
One of the nicest sounds that I remember hearing from younger days was the Cosmic Lab Series amplifier. Do they make them anymore? If they do I wouldnt mind buying one.
cheers
mishmash

I'd love to own one too...never had one at home but I used to sit as a 10 year old kid and admire them on their full page adverts on the back cover of Elektor magazines back in the early 80s...cosmic does not exist any more.

My Dad had the LAB3000 & cosmic speakers combo, they gave me my entry into the world of music, really miss them! They were given away by my dad many years ago :( Wish I could just listen to the amp & speakers combo just once again - so many memories attached to them.

used to listen to a similar set up too while growing up. cosmic lab amp with arphi speakers. the speakers were huge and at that time i thought that it was one of the best set ups ever. i think thats when my craving for a stereo set up with separate amp, floorstanding speakers etc started. i doubt they'll live up to the current day products though

I actually still have a pair of Cosmic speakers and a working LAB 3000 series amp, though I haven't used either in years. I've changed the tweeters over time to much smaller 2 inchers. But I can say the sound pales in comparison to what I have today. That's probably because the caps in the amp and speakers have dried out. It's been too expensive to have them replaced at todays prices. Guess time takes its toll on everything.

I actually still have a pair of Cosmic speakers and a working LAB 3000 series amp, though I haven't used either in years. I've changed the tweeters over time to much smaller 2 inchers. But I can say the sound pales in comparison to what I have today. That's probably because the caps in the amp and speakers have dried out. It's been too expensive to have them replaced at todays prices. Guess time takes its toll on everything.

Hi,

Can you pls post some pics of the amp & speakers? Will be glad to see them:)

Thanks

Cosmic :D You have really freshened up beautiful memories budy. I remember Cosmic Lab 3000 was my first HiFi Purchase along with the covox 100 speakers in my college days :clapping:
I wish i could have retained Lab 3000 at least.

Will try to click a few picx of the Amp and speakers over the weekend. I may not be able to get them coz they're in my storeroom right now. But will definitely try and post them. :)

Bobby, assume you were on a princely allowance during your college days....the cosmic labs used to cost quite a lot by the standards of those times :)

That's probably because the caps in the amp and speakers have dried out. It's been too expensive to have them replaced at todays prices. Guess time takes its toll on everything.
Too expensive to get what replaced? The caps? They are inexpensive unless you are thinking fancypants "audiophool" caps :D

Came across a LAB5000MKII on sunday due thanks to Hemant, was quite taken back when I saw it as it reminded me of my dad's LAB3000. Wasted no time in connecting it to my DIY speakers & hear how it performs. Was trying hard to recollect how it sounded vis-a-vis the LAB3000 but could not make any recollection :( yes I was quite sad but as of that moment did not much like its pairing with my DIY's. Maybe a case of speakers/amp mismatch, maybe i'm spoilt by the sound of my HK6550, but thats frankly what I felt.
Anyway, I took a couple of pics for the benefit of my fellow HFV Mates suffering from Cosmic Nostalgia , enjoy mates :)

511.jpg

611.jpg

710.jpg

810.jpg

910.jpg

112.jpg

212.jpg

312.jpg

412.jpg

Hi jmc123,

Glad your enjoying your LAB3000 MKII!!! My dad had the MKI version which looked pretty similar. Pls post a small review about your amp & what are the other gears in the chain(speakers/source/eq)

Edit: Thanks for updating us with your speakers pics! Glad to find another DIY person :) Pls keep updating on your future projects & costs involved. Also what kind of music do you listen to?

Last edited:
Hi guys!
Well for starters I tried to locate my LAB3000 but unfortunately it was buried under a few tons of dust and grime. And so were the speakers! Incidentally, my set up dates back to the late 70s or early 80s. I don't know the exact year, it's that ancient! The case is pure wood, not ply and it has some fiddly knobs on the front, not as good as the ones in today's setups. But it was a fun set back then. Remember blowing the tweeters at every party!! ha ha ha!!

Hi guys!
Well for starters I tried to locate my LAB3000 but unfortunately it was buried under a few tons of dust and grime. And so were the speakers! Incidentally, my set up dates back to the late 70s or early 80s. I don't know the exact year, it's that ancient! The case is pure wood, not ply and it has some fiddly knobs on the front, not as good as the ones in today's setups. But it was a fun set back then. Remember blowing the tweeters at every party!! ha ha ha!!

Please clean them & take some photo's PLEASE:)

Yes, the amp case is as described by you, I remember that distinctly:)

As for the party part, my dad used to have such events @ our home which had an attached terrace that could accommodate 100 + people comfortably & the music was always the highlight (much to the chagrin of our neighbours:p)
Aah, such good memories:lol:

hi folks
nice to c cosmic amp lovers today in this forum
i use cosmic amp spk from 1979 i still use it
early i had cosmic co 40 with covox 1500 spk basic 15 watts rms at 4 ohms per channel with 6500 deck my dad bought it
later i got cosmic lab 5000 with covox 6000 spk huge enough 26 kg weight per spk from the company andheri -e nr paper box in 2001 with good discount. rms of 75 watts per ch 4ohms spk 12 inch woofer / 2 - 6 inch mid / 2 dome twetter.
i wanted phono for the amp . co stooped giving phono input for lab concert series
they gave me provision for phono pre on aux2
still i was not satisfied with the sound quality which they gave in old 80s
i got a co 100 amp old steel dial amp connected to my piooner cs 405 spk. fantastic sound quality on phono and other inputs
i heard form lot of people that cosmic made lab 3000 amp old with samll vu meters , that is the best model in amp with covox 4500 spk
early days cosmic use to make wooden body top . good quality controls inside . cosmic had a collabration with akai in 80s that time cosmic made 39 deck which was a hot choclate cake 7500 rs and they gave in one month time period. very good for recording
with glass head with akai collabration. most of the people used for recording on cassete.
that was a diff era of music old times of 70s 80s.
the era has gone with the winds. music is more digital now micro chips carry digital signals to listen to music .analog world of music is gone.
but still world is round and round.

lp records ar made after 14 yrs analog music , vinyl records nice to c cum back .
people still use amp spk for music.
sound good for 2 ch stereo on amp better than av receiver only good for movies.
cosmic is a ragad piece solid state amp last for yrs generation to gen
only thing is most music lovers dont like indian sys for music
but i like it i am proud to use it .
bye thanks enjoy all

Hi mrunalrane,

So glad to hear about your cosmic connection. Would like to visit to hear the cosmic combo in the near future, if thats ok with you :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back