Cowon or Apple - Please help!

prashanth14485

Hi,

Can someone please tell me which one is the best mp3 player in terms of audio quality? A friend of mine wants to go for PMP and is considering Cowon J3/V5 and Itouch.. Apple no doubt is better VFM because of the features but have heard some great things about Cowon's SQ..

He wants to go for what sounds the best and wants to be able to play flac files too.. I know that itunes can convert files into lossless formats but just an FYI... please suggest!!

Thanks!

BTW, he is open to all kind of brands till the time the SQ is as good as it can get.. so if there are other brands that could sound better, please feel free to bring them up..

Apple and VFM? Sure there's a whole lot of support as in software( Touch) or accessories etc. The UI is great, finish awesome, good flaunt value, and the SQ is not so bad/good as some make it out out to be. Sound quality is good. But there are better options, namely Sansa and Cowon. Even some Sony players are there which sound awesome from the NWZ A series.
At the entry level, I would say Sansa Clip + is awesome. Good build, Very good audio quality, plays flac, can be rockboxed, cheap price, expandable memory, radio etc.
Slightly higher budget, look at Sansa Fuze and Cowon D2/D2+ if you can get it from abroad.
The D2 sounds good, awesome battery life and has ample power to drive your phones loud.
If you have a high budget, J3 it is.
Among the iPods, I like the iTouch. Rest of it, I feel there are better alternatives.

Thanks IA.. Except for Sony and Sansa additions, you simply mirrored my thoughts.. I will let him know and ask him to try and audition all these pleyers if he could.. rest is what he likes and can afford.. thanks again for your suggestions.. you always throw some valuable thoughts and add another dimension to things.. Take care mate!!

If he has a few extra thousands to burn and a blonde GF, go for Apple.

For pure functionality, Sansa Clip is a no nonsense player. Cowon has a little more form and the same function as Sansa.

Forget about the features in Apple. You can get all that and more in the cellphone that he is surely carrying.

Thanks IA.. Except for Sony and Sansa additions, you simply mirrored my thoughts.. I will let him know and ask him to try and audition all these pleyers if he could.. rest is what he likes and can afford.. thanks again for your suggestions.. you always throw some valuable thoughts and add another dimension to things.. Take care mate!!
Prashanth, Appreciate that you appreciate my POV. As for auditioning, I dont know how you are gonna manage that, unless one has friends with these players. If your friend doesnt need video capabilities and a long battery life, go for Sansa Clip Plus or Fuze and spend the money saved on some good iems/headphones.
Though I have used iPods a lot, when it came to buying I went for a D2 and then a Clip plus. I prefer drag and drop to itunes anyday.

Prashanth, Appreciate that you appreciate my POV. As for auditioning, I dont know how you are gonna manage that, unless one has friends with these players. If your friend doesnt need video capabilities and a long battery life, go for Sansa Clip Plus or Fuze and spend the money saved on some good iems/headphones.
Though I have used iPods a lot, when it came to buying I went for a D2 and then a Clip plus. I prefer drag and drop to itunes anyday.

I checked out Cowon's India website and don't see the D2's anymore.. So between V5 and J3, which one would you suggest considering that he would also watch some movies on the go.. but mainly music and doesn't care about those extra features like wifi, etc.. good sound and video quality is all that he wants..

I checked out Cowon's India website and don't see the D2's anymore.. So between V5 and J3, which one would you suggest considering that he would also watch some movies on the go.. but mainly music and doesn't care about those extra features like wifi, etc.. good sound and video quality is all that he wants..

Also, how about the X7?? seems to play music for 4 days and has a 160GB memory, meaning lots of music and videos at about the same price..

J3 if you want music over movies....

V5 if you watch nothing but movies on the go....

i am regretting picking up the S9......because the J3 turned up in 2 months after i picked it up.......but the S9 has stunning sound and picture....

COWON FTW!

btw - no point picking up a good player if you dont pair it up with a good headphone...

btw - no point picking up a good player if you dont pair it up with a good headphone...

As has been said many times before.

Invest in good ear/head phones. Most likely they will outlast the Player. Between 3-5 you have excellent VFM in the ear/head phones.

Thats right!

Simply pick Cowon J3.I have been using it since last 6 months and it excels to perfection in SQ as well as PQ.I had used apple in past but it would sound really crappy once you hear the SQ snd BBE+ sound enhancement features on J3.FLAC sound great on J3.Also if you pair it with right audios cans you would feel the real thump and depth of music files you had been listening earlier.Apple really makes sound very plastic and only loud.Its a pain in ear when compared with COWON's SQ.

Apple features? what features? Surely its undeniable beauty is skin deep?

Cowon plays a great range of audio and video formats: does Apple compare? (I honestly don't know, but I'd bet Rs.5 on Cowon's format list being longer). Does anyone really want iTunes on their machines? How about those who don't use Windows anyway.

My Cowon A2 is about six years old now. These days I only use it for infrequent travels. The Sony earbuds I use it with are even older, and I'm certain the machine would support very much better headphones.

I'd buy another Cowon with full confidence so, without hesitation, it is my recommendation :)

I have recently installed rockbox on my 2nd gen ipod nano and am pretty happy with the results( playing FLAC). Now i definately do not have the ears to make out that perfect sound :) as some other gifted folks on the forum have, but wanted to know if anybody has done something similar and has feedback.

thanks
Sachin

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back