Cringeworthy moment at the 94th Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Sean de Silva

I cannot believe what I've just seen in this clip. I cannot unsee it either. The otherwise boring Oscars will be remembered for this cringeworthy moment. I don’t care how huge a star he is...Will Smith will be immortalised forever for this bad behaviour. 🥵🤦‍♂️

I cannot believe what I've just seen in this clip. I cannot unsee it either. The otherwise boring Oscars will be remembered for this cringeworthy moment. I don’t care how huge a star he is...Will Smith will be immortalised forever for this bad behaviour. 🥵🤦‍♂️

I Could not Understand the Context completely, but Will Smith was pretty clear about which part of the joke was offensive to him. There hasn't been many instances of indecent behavior on his part, so I'd rather give him a benefit of doubt. In a bid to sound funny sometimes the anchors cross the thin line between humor and honor. Recently, Ashutosh Gowrikar was offended by Sajid Khan as Anchor during Filmfare Awards if i remember correctly...

Now, imagine if it were to be a White Actor do that to Chris Tucker??

I'm not endorsing violent behaviour, but Chris should have known better.

Will Smith has issues. The man is an emotional wreck. It is no secret. But dragging Will's personal life was uncalled for. In my opinion Chris asked for it.

I hope this willl serve as a reminder for all those smart-mouthed hosts out there.

@drkrack Thank God both are black. Imagine the trouble Academy will have to go through considering they are just saving face with "Oscars So White" controversy.

I really looked up to Will but this should have never happened ! Decades of experience and not to forget he has been on that other side as well.

All the TV Anchors think they are coming out from another world and take liberty to comment what they thought against the script given, need a tight slap like this if they just touch your family.:):) Looks like another drama...

If he has not given slap, he could have received from his wife after the show...:)

Being a comedian and on stage doesn't give you unlimited freedom to say anything about anybody. Chris rock's "joke" was in very poor taste and in my opinion he asked for it. Whether will smith could have waited for Chris Rock to get off stage before delivering the slap is debatable, but he did deserve a slap.

Having said that, there are some suggestions that the whole thing was just stage managed.

Nothing is a big deal until it is made to be. How one reacts to any given situation is what "makes", or "breaks" a person. Whatever happened is embarrassing for both the parties.
Unfortunately, in this situation, Will has lot more to lose.

Last edited:
Will has nothing to loose and it was another publicity stunt for him. Like Nandamuri Balakrishna slapping his fans occasionally who takes selfie and more like him some kolly heroes and he does not lost his position or fans.. He gained because of this with more memes and more publicity.

I too agree that Will has nothing too loose. Maybe, just a screw or two.

That did feel like a WWE slap though.

Last edited:
Assuming this was unscripted, hats off to the sheer professionalism and composure of Chris Rock who didn’t falter for even a second and kept the show going , making it look like getting slapped by Will Smith in public was a daily matter for him. :)

I'm shocked that a few people on this forum are actually justifying Will Smith's behaviour. Whether it was a joke or whether it was said seriously, nothing, repeat nothing, gives one a right to get physically violent against another human being, except in self defense. Whether one is offended at a joke, or an umpire's decision in cricket, or after a poor tennis shot, or a remark against your favourite god, a violent reaction is not just a sign of immaturity, but punishable under law.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back