cross over settings for pioneer vsx-lx-302 -7.1 network av receiver

Dr.vinayaka

Good morning.
how to tweak crossover setting in pioneer av receiver to get good bass effect for both movies and music.
Room dimension-17'6'' X 12'00'' with wooden flooring
System config:
One Pair Wharfedale Diamond 230 Floorstanding Speakers
One Piece Wharfedale 220 Centre Channel Speake
Two Pair Wharfedale 10.DFS rear/Surround Speakers
Wharfedale D-10 Subwoofer
One pair of warfaedale 10. DFS as height speakers
Pioneer-VSX- LX-302 Av Receiver
please help me out.
with regards:)

Hi

I would suggest to run the auto calibration tool and let it set....

Then manually you can tweak adjustments which suit your hearing preferences....

In order to get better attention for this query....please repost in PIONEER OWNERS Thread...

Stereo music will sound at it's most natural with only the fronts in use.
The Wharfe 230s have a +/-3dB response starting at 40 Hz which is actually enough for most recorded music. A sub will only add bass which is actually not in the music.
I would suggest listen to music in "Direct" mode for a few days and see if you like it.
Do play with speaker placement. It's the best free tweak you can do :).

Let the crossover setting be only for movies.
Start by the advice in the manual, run MCACC and tweak as per your liking.

Run MCACC. Then manually set all speakers to small. Mostly the AVR will set the crossover at 80hz. No need to tweak that. Also after mcacc check speaker distances.

Good morning sir,
I have done the auto tuning by maac by keeping cross over knob to maximum and volume at 60% knob at 12-1 clock.

I measured manually distance between speaker and listening position but both values does not match.

When I select small for front speakers double bass option will go out and when I select large options will come back to cvhange double bass.

When I heard with above settings bass is more voice is not clear.

My doubts are
1) should I change distance which I got by measuring manually in the receiver
2) after auto tuning, subwoofer cross over knob where it should be kept max or 12 clock position or match with av receiver cross over- 80hz
3) should I enable double bass

Please help me . Thanks in advance
With regards
Vinayaka

Posting some photos of home theatre is alignment of speakers is correct is there anything to change

Attachments

• 1D991F19-C4E5-4B1B-913F-FF47A1F39E82.jpg
    1D991F19-C4E5-4B1B-913F-FF47A1F39E82.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 2F0BDF49-9A64-481D-9DAB-BD8361BF08CC.jpg
    2F0BDF49-9A64-481D-9DAB-BD8361BF08CC.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 442919F8-B8CA-4997-9C6B-2C6D74E5A723.jpg
    442919F8-B8CA-4997-9C6B-2C6D74E5A723.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 36
  • E1052084-F9BC-4DE1-9F39-9BF88B8A863B.jpg
    E1052084-F9BC-4DE1-9F39-9BF88B8A863B.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 34
Posting some photos of home theatre is alignment of speakers is correct is there anything to change

Nice set-up..You could also put the fronts besides center (if you can squeeze in)..

I see you have 9.1 set-up totally.. the AVR is only 7.1.. Hope you would disconnect the surround back and use front heights..

I have done the auto tuning by maac by keeping cross over knob to maximum and volume at 60% knob at 12-1 clock.

Yes this is fine.. May be you can think of keeping the sub in the rear of the room near your listening position..

Phase switch- should I keep it at 0 or 180

Keep it at 0..

I measured manually distance between speaker and listening position but both values does not match.

Hope the difference isn't too much.. IF you have measured the distance manually, you can make the changes in AVR..

When I select small for front speakers double bass option will go out and when I select large options will come back to cvhange double bass.

When I heard with above settings bass is more voice is not clear.

Better to keep it small.. If you engage double bass, then your mains & subwoofer are duplicating the same freq..

My doubts are
1) should I change distance which I got by measuring manually in the receiver

Yes.. change it..

2) after auto tuning, subwoofer cross over knob where it should be kept max or 12 clock position or match with av receiver cross over- 80hz

Subwoofer crossover to be kept at max as you are using AVR's internal crossover..

3) should I enable double bass

Nope..

Thank you sir.
I am using either 7.1 or 5.1.2 setup. If I use 7.1 should I disconnect height speakers from av receiver. Other wise effect will come down or can I use with height channel being attached to av receiver.

I am using either 7.1 or 5.1.2 setup. If I use 7.1 should I disconnect height speakers from av receiver. Other wise effect will come down or can I use with height channel being attached to av receiver.

I hope you are changing the AVR menu from surr back to front heights, when you change from 7.1 to 5.1.2 set-up..

Assuming you would have done MCACC calibration for 7.1 set-up and when you use 5.1.2 set-up, the speaker level (dB) & distances for the front height speaker is missed..

At any point of time your AVR is capable of 7.1.. Either 7.1 set-up with surr back (or) 5.1.2 with front heights.. Whichever you like most/ use often, calibrate that set-up and use it..

Thanks
While auto tuning I have selected 7.1.2 setup. Is it alright sir
I will change to 5.1.2 by using audio adjust in the av remote in the speaker option. Is it alright. With regards
Vinayaka

Manual measurement:
Front left- 63 cm
Front right-53 cm
Centre speaker- 336cm
Surround right- 65 cm
Surround left- 79 cm
Back surround right-86cm
Back surround left- 113cm
Height right-390 cm
Height left- 446 cm
Subwoofer- 334cm