Cross over upgrade for Dali Oberon 7

souban82

Hi Members. I would like to have suggestions on whether upgrading crossover of my Dali Oberon 7 speakers over the stock one will really improve the performance SQ wise. Will the process be replacing the components with better quality components of same value or is there a different process? Also can you suggest somebody really knowledge able in this who can help me on this project.

I would never recommend it since speakers are voiced to a certain set of components and usually changing components is a design level change. Furthermore you will lose on the selling price for this

you are better of selling it and buying a better speaker.

Thank you.

I am just curious to know how replacing the components with same value but better quality would be similar to design level changes.

Most speakers are voiced based on components . Changing It can bring a change in sound but is a hit or miss based on how the sound changes
Unless someone has done it before no one can say if the sound is better or worse

Bipolar caps can be upgraded with film caps, but consider esr values also. Some times u will get better results, caps are not very expensive, u can try. Especially series caps and inductors

You should read this FWIW, and draw your own conclusions. But since most of us will not have the measuring equipment to determine from measurements (the horror!) whether changes MAY make a difference or not, the only way is to try replacing the electrolytics (I think there are 2 in your speaker model) especially on the tweeter leg (if any) and then draw a conclusion by listening. Putting back the originals if you don't like the new ones, is almost a no brainer so nothing is lost by trying. There is (from what I find) an iron core inductor on the woofer circuit that could be replaced with a low saturation Fe core inductor but that probably would be much larger and would not fit the tiny board mounted at the back of the terminal block. Nothing else to improve on, is my opinion.

Last edited:
caps upgrade is debatable subject, some got very good results depends on the age of the crossover, one of my speakers electrolytic caps values drifted and lost the lot of hf sparkle , i checked and found the elec caps drifed more than 50%, replaced them with same value caps and now i got the sparkle back.

caps upgrade is debatable subject,
What is not debatable in this hobby? :p
one of my speakers electrolytic caps values drifted and lost the lot of hf sparkle , i checked and found the elec caps drifed more than 50%, replaced them with same value caps and now i got the sparkle back.
IMO, electrolytic capacitors have absolutely no business being on the tweeter circuit.

hhh, very good point , i had onkyo spector 2000 4way speaker (released by onkyo against jbl 4334)it its crossover the elect caps are placed back to back to get the desired value and at the same time maintain high esr to control the very high sensitive midrange and tweeter. it sounds fantastic and amazing mids and silky highs. but they had elec caps in the crossover. i replaced with film caps of half value and found not sounding good, hence back to original elec caps in the same arrangement but with new nichicon caps.

If you want to use good quality components you need to make a new PCB for the crossover.
I upgraded my Dali Zensor 3 and the board was 20x15 cm.
I used good quality Mundorf and Jantzen parts. The sound quality is significantly better.
Now I'm going to build an Oberon 7 from scratch. Cabinets and a crossover. Now I'm going to build an Oberon 7 from scratch.
But unfortunately I don't have the original PCB with the components.
Could you take pictures of the crossover PCB with visible elements, please?
I will post my pcb project here.

Attachments

• zensor_3_crossover_upgr2.jpg
    zensor_3_crossover_upgr2.jpg
    882.8 KB · Views: 29
Hi Members. I would like to have suggestions on whether upgrading crossover of my Dali Oberon 7 speakers over the stock one will really improve the performance SQ wise. Will the process be replacing the components with better quality components of same value or is there a different process? Also can you suggest somebody really knowledge able in this who can help me on this project.

you can do that, but keep in mind you will be spending some money to get better quality parts. 250 to 400 dollars US is pretty easy to do when upgrading a crossover. If you are thinking what can you do for 50 dollars, then would leave them alone.

If you want to use good quality components you need to make a new PCB for the crossover.
I upgraded my Dali Zensor 3 and the board was 20x15 cm.
I used good quality Mundorf and Jantzen parts. The sound quality is significantly better.
Now I'm going to build an Oberon 7 from scratch. Cabinets and a crossover. Now I'm going to build an Oberon 7 from scratch.
But unfortunately I don't have the original PCB with the components.
Could you take pictures of the crossover PCB with visible elements, please?
I will post my pcb project here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-04-22-31-50-505_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-04-22-31-50-505_com.android.chrome.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230204_223157.jpg
    IMG_20230204_223157.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 12
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back