Crossover Suggestions for 3way Speakers - Buy from Aliexpress

Hello,

Greetings!

I am on a DIY mission, making a pair of 3 way Speakers. I have the drivers, but for crossovers, I didn't find any option in India (online).
I looked for it on Aliexpress, I could find plenty of it. So, just wanted to know if anyone of you have ordered it from Aliexpress?
If yes, how was it? worth buying? Any other suggestion(s).

Thanks,

Hello,

Greetings!

I am on a DIY mission, making a pair of 3 way Speakers. I have the drivers, but for crossovers, I didn't find any option in India (online).
I looked for it on Aliexpress, I could find plenty of it. So, just wanted to know if anyone of you have ordered it from Aliexpress?

Thanks,
If you are looking for readymade ones online in India then check www.diyaudiocart.com

Thanks,
Rajiv

Hello,

Greetings!

Thanks,

The crossover point on a passive crossover will vary with the speaker's impedence at the cross over frequency. So a crossover built for one driver wont work with another (the crossover point will not be the same) even if "both drivers" have the same "nominal impedance". However if you have already modelled the crossover and know what capacitance and inductor, values you need then you can order a crossover that matches your requirement from aliexpress, but finding one that match the exact 3 drivers you may have selected is going to be pretty far fetched.

The crossover point on a passive crossover will vary with the speaker's impedence at the cross over frequency. So a crossover built for one driver wont work with another (the crossover point will not be the same) even if "both drivers" have the same "nominal impedance". However if you have already modelled the crossover and know what capacitance and inductor, values you need then you can order a crossover that matches your requirement from aliexpress, but finding one that match the exact 3 drivers you may have selected is going to be pretty far fetched.
I have not done any of it. do you have any literature on it, which I can refer and work towards it? it will be great help!!

The readymade crossovers might not be as good as tailored ones. Why don't you connect with DIY FMs from Kolkata and seek help. @shaan and @srisaikat have posted a lot of stuff on the DIY side. Please try reaching out to them.
great idea. I have read their posts too, but unfortunately right now in hyd. i tried visitng local market here in koti and didnt get anything there as they all focus more on dj speakers and car audio. still thanks, may be i contact them, when in calcutta next.

i am including the specs of drivers and crossover which I had thought about.

Pls see and let me know if its ok or i need to change?

Attachments

• IMG_20180531_203411.jpg
    IMG_20180531_203411.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20180531_203446.jpg
    IMG_20180531_203446.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20180531_203504.jpg
    IMG_20180531_203504.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20180531_203525.jpg
    IMG_20180531_203525.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 15
@midnitefreakin : as others have pointed out, you start with the TS parameters of the drivers you want to use to calculate the crossover circuit needed, followed by cabinet calculations.

Don't buy some readymade crossover. You don't know for which drivers it is designed for.

I am on a DIY mission, making a pair of 3 way Speakers...

Any other suggestion(s)...

Yes.

A two-way active crossover and four amplifier channels. Lowpass amp drives woofer and highpass drives mid+tweeter.

Or a full fledged three-way active crossover and six amplifier channels, one amp for each driver.

I have not done any of it. do you have any literature on it, which I can refer and work towards it? it will be great help!!

If you really want to build a passive crossover and this is your first time doing it, go 2 way. Get high quality forgiving drivers i.e. a tweeter with a low fs and a midbass that sounds good high up in the frequency range and build a simple 2 way 1st order cross over. All that need is a cap and a inductor and maybe a attenuation filter. Approx values can be calculate on the various calculators online but you still have to play around to get to where it sounds good. If "3 way" is the way you want to go then like Shaan said just go active, the crossover points on a active crossover are impedence independent and if you get one with parametric equalization you can smooth out the drivers+box combo's response.

Designing a 2-way passive crossover is in itself a big challenge, a 3-way even more so. Added to this, the quality of components used in a crossover also makes a huge difference to sound quality and can come in quite expensive.
Further you will need measuring equipment to design and fine tune your xo points and also the enclosure.

Unless you are in it for learning and with a passion for DIY, venturing into crossover designing can be tough and frustrating

In this regard, an active crossover is the best way to go, though you will need amplification for each channel.
For a budget start on active, look for used studio grade crossovers which usually have fixed 24db LR slopes.
Some Class D amplifiers like Allo Volt+ amp offer good quality at a competitive price.

I run a full 4-way active system in my car.
I had a 3-way active system in my home as well, but have since gone with a simple passive bookshelf system.

Some active crossovers in the market

1. Studio grade include companies like Behringer, Dbx etc.
2. miniDSP
3. Dayton Audio DSO launched recently
4. Any of the car audio active head units (rate to find nowadays) and DSPs like Mosconi, Hertz, Audison, Zapco, Alpine etc

Another absolutely budget route is going in for software based digital DSP available in JRIver (much more robust and comprehensive)_and Foobar along with a 5.1 (2-way) or 7.1 (3-way) USB soundcard..

You can refer to my "Active home audio setup with software DSP " on the following page
http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?23517-Home-Audio-Build-up/page6

i am including the specs of drivers and crossover which I had thought about.

Pls see and let me know if its ok or i need to change?

Start by watching this video series, you can start simulating a crossover with X-Sim software then.

and

you need to have some equipment to design a crossover as mentioned below

Dayton Audio DATS V2

Calibrated-microphone

take your time, do as much as research before you build actual crossover.

No No for ready made crossovers.

Regards
Bilal

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back