Curved Smartphones?

Santy

I could not understand what's the idea behind it. What's the advantage?

131009075713-samsung-round-620xa.jpg

I could trace one website with this info.
The main advantage of the phone's curved design is what Samsung calls the "Roll Effect." When the phone is lying flat on the table, pressing on one side rocks the device and turns on the screen, allowing the user to easily check basic information (date, time, missed calls, battery information, etc).

It seems to be like one of the useless Japanese inventions. Its not terribly difficult to touch the main button instead. I also think curved screen will be quite uncomfortable to use (esp. sliding gestures). Moreover, it will take up more volumetric space than a flat phone.

But I may be totally wrong.

Being an user of a curved screen phone myself (the Samsung Galaxy Nexus), one benefit that I see is reduction of reflections from the screen.
Note: The Galaxy Nexus screen has a very slight curve along a horizontal axis as against the very prominent curve along vertical axis of this new model.

In my opinion, more than anything which is useful practically, it is a concept to show that the company has such a technology. May be in future this concept gives birth to flexible or foldable displays. But for today, its useless for any user; especially when one has to pay extra bucks to get this curved screen. Also have a feeling that putting this thing against the ear would be uncomfortable too.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back