Custom turntable dust cap using plexi glass

sriram76

Hi All,

For those of you who have lost your stock dust caps to accidents and for those who never got a dust cap (due to fancy turntable design like the pro-ject genie 1.3 rpm), this is a a simple dust cap design DIY.

It all started after I lost my stylus to the covering cloth that was pulled out by me carelessly. This made me think hard about creating my own dustcap. I started by taking the measurements on width, height and depth. Mine turned out to be a sqaurish top (16 inches/ 16 inches). I also decided to get a base plate since the table on which the turntable rests falls short (the platter juts out but the base sits well inside). The base plate is 17/17.

Now, I went around blogs on how to work with plexi glass and found methyl chlorine. There were warnings put up on many sites calling this to be a carcinogen and also known to trigger asthma and respiratory track irritant. I decided to drop the idea of using methyl chlorine since I am prone to asthma and just decided to use general purpose silicone instead.

To start, you will need
1. Laser cut plexi glass from a plexi glass supplier. Best is to take a drawing to them.
2. Silicone gun and a general purpose silicone tube. Its best to read the label and confirm if it works with acrylics.

If you are going to use silicone instead of methyl chlorine, you will require additional bracing to increase contact area on the top sheet. Please check the below picture
20161008_122802.jpg

The below picture shows silicone tube and gun.

20161008_122830.jpg

Once you get them, firmly paste the braces on the top sheet with silicone and let it dry. You should use tapes to paste the braces together in the beginning.
20161008_143407.jpg

Once dried, paste the sides and use heavy objects to keep the sides in place.
20161008_180609.jpg

Finally, let the whole thing dry for about a day. The final product should look like below

20161009_073735.jpg

Now my player is covered nicely.
20161009_074646.jpg

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back